European super league

R

Red Devil

Real Madrid president Florentino Perez has called for the world's wealthiest football clubs to create a European Super League.

The 62-year-old is keen for Europe's elite to regularly play each other, something he does not believes happens enough in the UEFA Champions League.

It has already been a monumental summer for Perez in his second spell at the helm of the Santiago Bernabeu outfit having secured the services of Kaka and Cristiano Ronaldo.

Uefa battle
However, Perez, not satisfied with his new-look Galacticos, now is ready to take on Uefa if they do not adapt the Champions League to better suit the ambitions of the biggest clubs

"We have to agree a new European Super League which guarantees that the best always play the best - something that does not happen in the Champions League," he stated.

Perez added, however, that he hoped his proposed format could be implemented "without abandoning the national leagues

Dont think it will ever happen but if it did which teams would get invited to join ?

Beast

The Observer
Totally against it.. it's discrimination based on current strength ..

i'm all for reducing the games in the current format but not for excluding small team from small nations (football wise )

we have seen small teams cause an upset in the past before the current format & transfer system killed them all

loosely it's based on the G15 clubs plus few new clubs

R

Red Devil

Id go with

Manchester United
Liverpool
Chelsea
Arsenal
AC Milan
Juventus
Inter Milan
Roma
Bayern Munich
Werder Bremen
Lyon
Monaco
Barcelona
Real Madrid
Atletico Madrid
Valencia
Benfica
Porto
S Moskow
Cska Moskow
Ajax
Psv

Take your pick out of all them

Totally against it.. it's discrimination based on current strength ..

i'm all for reducing the games in the current format but not for excluding small team from small nations (football wise )

we have seen small teams cause an upset in the past before the current format & transfer system killed them all

loosely it's based on the G15 clubs plus few new clubs

Total agree mate but the point I was making was which clubs would be in it ?

J

Jordzibob

Lol accidentally started another thread about this without realising, sorry, and I think its a good idea.

People are always complaining about that the team that wins the Champions League isnt the best team in the world because its a cup competition and anything can happen, such as Man Utd fans have moaned this year....a League would sort this out, go for it. Maybe just once every three years or something they could do it.

Warik

No, when teams like Real and Liverpool play eachother now its special because it is rare. It'd lost alot of the magic if they played eachother twice every year.

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
Agree with beast and warik I totally HATE this idea.

The day i stop watching football is when there's a league of any kind not based on promotion or relegation.

Safe to say that if ever we abandoned or compromised our position in the Premier League to join a super league then I would lose complete interest in Football.

Canto

Johan Dalin part II
Wait he doesn't mean as in this would be a year long league does he?Or it would just replace the champions league?
Either way I'd hate there is something special about the champions league it's got that history and i love when a small team creates and upset!

Like a couple years ago a team from here in Ireland got to the 3rd round qualifying stage and played Depertivo and drew with them in Dublin and we're only half an hour away from extra time were they could have went through to the group stage would have been an amazing achievement!

Perez just wants glamour ties to get more money into the club so he an buy more "glacticos" IMO

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
Of course because Perez is a piece of shit and a money grabbing whore who I wish the worst on.

I prefer facing the mancs, everton, arsenal, spurs, chelsea every week - our domestic foes - rather than playing in europe every week.

Playing the likes of barca, real, milan, inter, bayern, ajax, juventus etc are special occasions and historical events. Playing them in a league context would ruin that completely and I would not watch it.

Canto

Johan Dalin part II
Of course because Perez is a piece of shit and a money grabbing whore who I wish the worst on.

I prefer facing the mancs, everton, arsenal, spurs, chelsea every week - our domestic foes - rather than playing in europe every week.

Playing the likes of barca, real, milan, inter, bayern, ajax, juventus etc are special occasions and historical events. Playing them in a league context would ruin that completely and I would not watch it.

This.

Add in the fact traveling to Madrid,Munich Moscow every second week would price out the fans who sometimes are been priced out of games already!

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
he's gotta pay back those loans somehow!

but seriously, this is a ridiculous idea. the only benefits of a closed league system would be that a salary cap could be introduced to reduce insane wages/fees, etc. but that wouldn't make up for the loss of football's essence.

R

Red Devil

If it aint broke ....

Your lot wouldnt be invited lol!!

No serious it is a terrible idea and one that I would think is impossible to introduce fans simply couldnt afford to 17 away all accross europe . And like other people have said the Champions league is a special competition that if you get into means more than anything.

Im so glad were able to challenge in it season in season out Id hate to have to watch it knowing my team has never been in it.

nebeer

Love is All
I like this idea of European Super League. I believe that it would be a treat to the fans and they deserve to watch top European teams playing each other on a regular basis. This would also inspire top teams to keep improving. And as the bottom 3 can be relegated, so each year new teams can earn their entry into the Super League, thus all teams in Europe would look to play well. In CL every team doesn't play every other team and for seasons, it can happen that certain teams have not even played each other. I believe it is a fascinating idea. We can have the top four clubs of La Liga, Premiership and Serie A getting an entrance and other 8 clubs would come from the other leagues of Europe. I even believe it might be a good idea to let one or two top South American clubs participate in the competition as well. Then it can be called something like "The World Super League".

Home of Barca Fans