Lionel "The Greatest of All Time" Messi V2

mc_lovin

Why?
If next season we win 0 trophies because we have to shoehorn him in the system and it doesn't work?

? That's about the team, not the "rebuild". We did the bulk of the work last Summer, now it's back to normal business for a top club (meaning the usual few players in/few players out).

Thinking about it rebuild is a stupid phrase anyway.

Birdy

Mats
Kounde Araujo Christensen Balde
FDJ Gundogan
Dembele Messi Pedri
Lewandowski

XIBO-U82677443632UDF-624x385@Relevo.jpg

more something like this

Still, his 0 pressing and tendency to drop as back as he wants can fuck everything up from a tactical pov

? That's about the team, not the "rebuild". We did the bulk of the work last Summer, now it's back to normal business for a top club (meaning the usual few players in/few players out).

Thinking about it rebuild is a stupid phrase anyway.

You know what I mean. Not the actual acquisition of players.
I mean the roadmap of rebuilding a new team

mc_lovin

You know what I mean. Not the actual acquisition of players.
I mean the roadmap of rebuilding a new team

Eh, the team is there, it's already build. Messi for a season won't derail anything. Especially since he won't impact a problem position (like LW) or block younger players. He will be here for a year or two, do his stuff and leave.

He will take the creative burden of Pedri and that's pretty much it.

Birdy

Eh, the team is there, it's already build. Messi for a season won't derail anything. Especially since he won't impact a problem position (like LW) or block younger players. He will be here for a year or two, do his stuff and leave.

He will take the creative burden of Pedri and that's pretty much it.

Not really.
The dangers are many, and the most likely scenario is he takes away gains we already have achieved this season

Watch this analysis that soulrage posted:

He outlines nicely all the dangers, and concludes in the end that the compromise would be sacrificing a lot.
Like what I said, the only way this sentimental comeback and Laporta redeeming himself works, is if Xavi convinces him and he accepts to have an impact sub/ guiding youngsters role in the team that is being built

mc_lovin

Pretty biased analysis (not that I am not biased to be fair). Some fair points, but that's life. Everything has a cost. For me it wouldn't be too bad if Xavi loosens up his rigid positional play for Messi. Current Barca is tailor made for stacking the midfield and a free flowing Messi won't sink us there.

Also provides an interesting short-term solution for replacing Busquets with two of Gundogan (if he comes), Frenkie and Pedri at the base of the midfield and Gavi/Pedri at "LW". Won't even have to compromise at LW, because we don't have one anyway :lol: All our best players would still play despite Messi coming in.

Messigician

Xavi: "I talk to Messi a lot. I would love him to come back, we are working on his return. It's the club of his life. It's normal, that people are looking forward to a Messi Last Dance, like Michael Jordan..."

Rory

Not sure I could handle another season of constant whinging about how great we'd be without Messi in the team

Horatio

You're welcome
I don't get this transfer. But whatever...We have good enough squad to still contend for La Liga next season even if we integrate Messi in some way. Will be interesting watch.

Porque

We will still be competitive in LaLiga with Messi. Gonna get shitfaced as usual in the CL though.

Deal is not about the sporting side.

Shirt sales, most goes to Nike anyways, what do you think they pay 60m+ a year for?

Marketing wise will give a boost, but put it this way. If his financial pull was as great as said, we would have kept him the first time.

Only angle this works is the Michael Jordan return angle. Said it before and even Xavi mentioned it.

Post world cup bump is gone already.

Messi is a club legend but fans will turn on him if we are worse next season than this season I reckon.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans