Liga Round 21: Villarreal - FC Barcelona 0-1

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
Damn. Our defensive record is a mirage. If other liga teams had any quality upfront we would be conceding alot of goals. The stats are misleading.

I don't think so. This back 4 conceded 0 or just 1 goal while playing together. We didn't have that combination for CL games. Obviously we were lucky in some games and ter Stegen showed his quality but this defense is as good as any in Europe

KingLeo10

Damn. Our defensive record is a mirage. If other liga teams had any quality upfront we would be conceding alot of goals. The stats are misleading.

Can't wait till we beat United and toss your crying ass out of this forum

Been hearing about the same old schtick from you for years now

ajnotkeith

Can't wait till we beat United and toss your crying ass out of this forum

Been hearing about the same old schtick from you for years now

Well, to be fair to him, it's not like our defense is shutting up shop and conceding no chances. We give up a few big chances basically every game but 99% of the time they are missed or saved.

KingLeo10

Well, to be fair to him, it's not like our defense is shutting up shop and conceding no chances. We give up a few big chances basically every game but 99% of the time they are missed or saved.

Isn't that how RM won many of their CLs. I will say some of it is luck but there's definitely a mental element to it. Other LL teams know they can't beat us/our defense.

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent

Villarreal today were contained to 1 chance from Morales after an individual mistake, the rest was either long shots or dealt with by defense and midfield.

ajnotkeith

Villarreal today were contained to 1 chance from Morales after an individual mistake, the rest was either long shots or dealt with by defense and midfield.

2 big chances from Morales of 0.3 xG each and a total of 1.1 xG from their side. Usually you would concede a goal from that...

I think the total xG against is like 16 or 17 now but we are still at 7 goals conceded, 3 of them coming against Madrid.

There is definitely some luck there but as KL mentioned above, also something else. Teams are starting to get nervous against Barca.

ajnotkeith

Isn't that how RM won many of their CLs. I will say some of it is luck but there's definitely a mental element to it. Other LL teams know they can't beat us/our defense.

Yep there is definitely something else there, like you said probably mental. It keeps happening over and over. Maybe it's not an ideal way to play but if it continues to work then so be it.

The only fear is that when we go to Europe with confident and talented attackers facing us they won't forgive those chances and we'll suffer for it.

Porque

Defensive pressure is fantastic. Players know a) Stegen is hard to beat this season and b) Araujo or Christensen are closing very quickly.

Fine margins.

Birdy

I really enjoy our invincible defense in this combination of players plus Stegen, which we haven't seen in years
But upfront we are pretty toothless, to put it mildly
Only Dembele and Pedri make sth happened. These days only Pedri. If he doesn't come up with sth, our attack is in dead end

Our game currently looks more like Mou's Chelsea 04-06, than anything Barca-like, sturdy at the back to keep clean sheet, and pray the few we have that can create chances out of their individual brilliance (rather than collective tactics) do sth

Messi983

Yes, this defense is not as good as stats say but I'd argue is still among the best in Europe and clearly a big improvement over playing backline of Roberto, Pique, Lenglet and Alba or something.

Not only on back four, whole team is doing their part in defense but ofc individual performances from likes of Araujo and AC and MATS's great season are the main reason we look almost unbeateable in La Liga.

Can complain about lack of quality strikers in the league but they're not really that much worse than last season when we conceded in almost every game due to mistakes from Lenglet and MATS and physical limitations of Pique and Eric. Whole system is also set better to defend this year.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans