Eto'o vs Suarez : who was Closer of the ballon d'or ?

stb_1

What's even the point? To stroke an ego? The best player is a much more interesting discussion. Suarez had his prime in a time of Messi and Ronaldo. Being in the same team as Messi, Suarez was never going to win Ballon d'Or. Sort of how Iniesta/Xavi never won.

If Eto'o would've had his 2006 season in 2016, he'd be nowhere near CR and Messi.
If Suarez would've had his 2016 season in 2006, he'd have a very strong case.

Eto'o 2006
47 games, 34 goals, 10 assists

Suarez 2016
53 games, 59 goals, 24 assists

Almost double the amount of goal contributions.

This. Suarez wasn't just goals. He was assists and relentless pressing.

Etoshow

What's even the point? To stroke an ego? The best player is a much more interesting discussion. Suarez had his prime in a time of Messi and Ronaldo. Being in the same team as Messi, Suarez was never going to win Ballon d'Or. Sort of how Iniesta/Xavi never won.

If Eto'o would've had his 2006 season in 2016, he'd be nowhere near CR and Messi.
If Suarez would've had his 2016 season in 2006, he'd have a very strong case.

Eto'o 2006
47 games, 34 goals, 10 assists

Suarez 2016
53 games, 59 goals, 24 assists

Almost double the amount of goal contributions.

Now that's a good point I concede it, the statistics talk for him if we compare their 2 top seasons with Bar?a. However since football is not all about stats you can also understand why I still think Eto'o is the best at his peak. As I said before, it's also about the context, the era, the style of play, clutchness. You can't compare the team Suarez had around with Bar?a to the team of Rijkaard.
2016 Barcelona was a freaking machine in term of ball possession, goals opportunities, number of goals etc... Suarez was playing in a better context than Eto'o in 2006 who should do more to score goals. Suarez played with the best playmaker ever (Messi) and one of the best in the World (Neymar) + people like Iniesta, Rakiti?, Alves and Alba.

Eto'o was a cleaner player than Suarez technically and a nightmare for Defenders because of his speed. I think in term of dribbling, ball control, link up play and pass there is no doubt who is better. Eto'o also played a lot of games on the side compared to Suarez especially his 2 CL finals. That's the reason I think Eto'o is better, not because he scored more goals, but because he scored more goals for his team than Suarez did for his Bar?a. Not to mention that Eto'o with Bar?a was better in technical and tactical aspect, clutcher and his goals gave more points.

Messigician

" it's not about stats at his peak it's about who would win Ballon D'or"

After stats were posted

"However since football is not all about stats you can also understand why I still think Eto'o is the best at his peak. "

Etoshow

This. Suarez wasn't just goals. He was assists and relentless pressing.

Bro, I really need to know if you were already a Bar?a fan when Eto'o was at his peak because talking about relentless pressing to give the point to Suarez in a comparison against Eto'o AKA the king of solo pressing...

Etoshow

" it's not about stats at his peak it's about who would win Ballon D'or"

After stats were posted

"However since football is not all about stats you can also understand why I still think Eto'o is the best at his peak. "

You're so delusional but I'll make it clear for you. Let's analyse. Stats in La Liga :

Suarez :
2014-2015 : 16 goals scored in 110 goals of Barcelona
2015-2016 : 40 goals scored in 112 goals of Barcelona
2016-2017 : 29 goals scored in 116 goals of Barcelona
2017-2018 : 25 goals scored in 99 goals of Barcelona
2018-2019 : 21 goals scored in 90 goals of Barcelona
2019-2020 : 16 goals scored in 89 goals of Barcelona
So Suarez scored 147 goals in La Liga with Bar?a while Bar?a scored 616 goals overall.

Eto'o
2004-2005 : 25 goals in 73 goals of Barcelona
2005-2006 : 26 goals in 80 goals of Barcelona
2006-2007 : 11 goals in 76 goals of Barcelona
2007-2008 : 16 goals in 78 goals of Barcelona
2009-2010 : 30 goals in 105 goals of Barcelona
So Eto'o scored 108 goals while Bar?a had 412 goals overall in La Liga. Not to mention that any Barcelona fan knows that in 06-07 and 07-08 Eto'o got 2 terrible injuries who put him out of the field for a half season those seasons !! Just imagine his contribution to that team. Another fact is he was clutcher and scored more important goals. Technically and tactically this guy was pure gold but I understand your point because football has no memory. Do you notice that the only season he reached 30 goals is with Pep ? And it's his only season with Pep in a Bar?a team with 70% ball possession and 100+ goals in the league. He would score more if Pep didn't get rid of him. You young people always underestimate players you didn't see because of stats stats stats. When Eto'o was injured, no silverware for Bar?a and even when he left, despite the best team and squad in the world, we lost the champions and copa del Rey.

Messigician

You're so delusional but I'll make it clear for you. Let's analyse. Stats in La Liga :

Suarez :
So Suarez scored 147 goals in La Liga with Bar?a while Bar?a scored 616 goals overall.

Eto'o
So Eto'o scored 108 goals while Bar?a had 412 goals overall in La Liga. Not to mention that any Barcelona fan knows that in 06-07 and 07-08 Eto'o got 2 terrible injuries who put him out of the field for a half season those seasons !! Just imagine his contribution to that team. Another fact is he was clutcher and scored more important goals. Technically and tactically this guy was pure gold but I understand your point because football has no memory. Do you notice that the only season he reached 30 goals is with Pep ? And it's his only season with Pep in a Bar?a team with 70% ball possession and 100+ goals in the league. He would score more if Pep didn't get rid of him. You young people always underestimate players you didn't see because of stats stats stats. When Eto'o was injured, no silverware for Bar?a and even when he left, despite the best team and squad in the world, we lost the champions and copa del Rey.

Ignoring assists?

Good stuff

Etoshow

Ignoring assists?

Good stuff

It seems like I showed something I shouldn't about the statistics. Suarez obviously has the argument of assists and that's also the reason I'm comparing them and trying to get others opinions. You know my vision, I gave arguments (my point of view), I wanted yours but I noticed you don't know Eto'o. With Bar?a, Suarez wasn't a playmaker that's the reason I give more credits to the goals, the clutchness, important and decisive goals, technical and tactical qualities (based on eye test). I Can be wrong but Messi is the key factor of the assists numbers of Suarez just as his goals.

BarcaOG

Banned
lmao etoshow

u cant have an objective, evidence-based discussion about eto's time at barca with someone whose user name is etoshow lmao

Temptation

Suarez :

Eto'o

Welcome to Barca Forum Samuel.

Well done kicking that reporter BTW. W.

Etoshow

lmao etoshow

u cant have an objective, evidence-based discussion about eto's time at barca with someone whose user name is etoshow lmao

You maybe right but I'm ashamed to notice that my username is your only argument. Ok I think I've the answer for my subject.

BarcaOG

Banned
You maybe right but I'm ashamed to notice that my username is your only argument. Ok I think I've the answer for my subject.

well, it shows that you arent exactly fit to assess the merits and shortfalls of eto's time at barca impartially

its a pretty significant blind spot...

Etoshow

well, it shows that you arent exactly fit to assess the merits and shortfalls of eto's time at barca impartially

its a pretty significant blind spot...

Once again that's your opinion. I think my arguments speak for themselves. That's a debate I initially had with people and people were almost ok with me. I wanted to hear opinions on a Bar?a forum but all I'm reading looks more like troll than arguments. Maybe only those who were already here in Eto's time should answer I don't really know. Nobody talks about football, just troll... Unfortunately.

BBZ8800

-- Suarez maybe scored more goals but he played at Barca who had MSN and there was tons of space for him since 2-3 players had to mark Messi and 1-2 Neymar
-- in Suarez's days, our team was way before
-- in Suarez's days, goals stats in whole football were inflated because the difference between rich and poor teams became bigger and we entered into an era where Barca often won 6:0 and 7:1 at Camp Nou, while CR7 was statpadding in 11:1 wins
(AC Milan with in 1994 scored only 36 goals in the whole Seria A season. With that logic, CR7, Suarez, Neymar, Lewa, Benz alone were all better than the whole AC Milan who won 4:0 vs Barca in a CL final in 1994')
-- in Etoo's days, results were closer to 1:0 and 2:0, not because HE was bad
-- also, it is interesting how Suarez is supposedly better for statpadding in La Liga while he had like 1-2 goals in 20 CL KO matches in one moment

Suarez with his CL performances managed to get only 1 CL final in 6 years with Messi and 3 years with MSN.
Etoo was a key player in Barca's first CL win in 2006 after 12 years of being a joke (something like today) in his 2nd season here, scoring in a final for 1:1 in a match where all other Barca's key players (except Larsson) played like usual Barca DNA mental midgets.

To me, Suarez was a guy who was statpadding in La Liga in the best/most expensive team in the world and underperformed in CL for years.
Etoo was a guy who brought eternal losers, Barca, back on top and started an era which will have it's peak during Pep.

For me, Etoo's peak was in his first two seasons, in 2004/05 and 2005/06.
Back then, Barca's last CL was won in 1992 and Barca's last Liga title was won in 1999'.
Etoo came in 2004 and Barca won 2 La Ligas in a row and a CL in 2006'.

Also, Etoo whined back then that if he were named Etodinho and if he came from Brazil, that he would have won BDOr.
And I agree with that. African players are not as fancy and interesting for a popularity/marketing contest named Bdor.

Back then, I bought Etoo's shirt and in 2004-2006, he was imo better/had a bigger impact than Ronaldinho.
Etoo 2004-2006:

serghei

That is way too harsh on Suarez, but Eto'o was more clutch in big games for me. Quality-wise I believe both were the best strikers in the world at some point.

There were more elite players in the 2006 team that got the CL, not just Eto'o. Ronaldinho and Deco and some others. Team was filled with class players bar maybe 2-3 positions.

Last edited:

Sailor Mars

Suarez was better. You can build a great team around Suarez, less so with Eto'o. Eto'o didn't prove himself by being the focal point of attack at Barca or Inter. An elite, elite #2 but never a #1.

Home of Barca Fans