So what's next for Messi?

JohnN

Could be there for the rest of games and until Copa 2024 as a supporting role, as age is fastly catching up and probably gave 200% this WC.
As far as club career, we must wait and see if PSG implode after this WC result. If not, they could make a claim for CL, but many strong teams are in the contest.
Perhaps a supporting role in Barca for a season wouldn't be the worst thing, if he can ever do that. If not, just ride into the sunset playing in Argentina.

KingLeo10

Think he'll at most play one more Copa. Man scored 18 goals in 14 Argentina games in 2022. Surely will want to keep that up.

He's only around 20 goals behind Cristiano. It's doable even if it won't be easy.

I think the CL goal tally is within more reach with a good season or two in Europe.

There is no way Cristiano Columbus and the Portuguese Football Federation will not schedule some lame friendlies with Luxembourg, Faroe Islands, Malta, and Estonia to keep that NT record :lol:

JamDav1982

I think the CL goal tally is within more reach with a good season or two in Europe.

There is no way Cristiano Columbus and the Portuguese Football Federation will not schedule some lame friendlies with Luxembourg, Faroe Islands, Malta, and Estonia to keep that NT record :lol:

Portugal have shite like that in their next few games anyway I believe. So no friendlies required really.

Messigician

Think he'll at most play one more Copa. Man scored 18 goals in 14 Argentina games in 2022. Surely will want to keep that up.

He's only around 20 goals behind Cristiano. It's doable even if it won't be easy.

Not doable and ronsldo ain't retiring anytine soon

Hardy

he doesn't need that, his qualifying group for euro 2024 has Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Bosnia and Slovakia:lol:

Windhook

I'm sure he just played his last game for Argentina. We've been discussing this point in time for 5 years now and here we are. Walking into the sunset with the World Cup trophy is legendary end to his international career.

On club level he still has a year or two in him. Won't rule out a return to Barca, but additional 2 years at PSG is the most logical step.

Iniesta Ultra

I'm sure he just played his last game for Argentina. We've been discussing this point in time for 5 years now and here we are. Walking into the sunset with the World Cup trophy is legendary end to his international career.

On club level he still has a year or two in him. Won't rule out a return to Barca, but additional 2 years at PSG is the most logical step.

You really think Messi was bullshitting yesterday saying otherwise?

Horatio

You're welcome
I'm sure he just played his last game for Argentina.

I guess you didn't get the memo. Messi said in interview he wants to continue playing for Argentina. But as a champion.

Messi not going to quit just because it is more dramatic to stop after a win like this. He will continue as long as he senses he is wanted. Won't overstay his welcome that's all.

It must be the best feeling for him now to play for his country he loves so much but without the pressure of meeting the expectations. He already done so.

Just read Messi Argentina jerseys are sold out worldwide and that Argentina victory will even help their country's economy slightly. Dude is the GOAT on the pitch and outside it :worthy:

jamrock

Next for Messi, is for him to become the first football billionaire, this WC gonna make him so much extra money it's insane.

fergus90

Winning the WC has probably ended any feeling of regret in his career so the desire for more CL success to perhaps compensate that will probably disappear, especially at age 35.

I can imagine, playing games for Argentina as World Champion will be enough now.

Home of Barca Fans