17 - Marcos Alonso

Porque

When you see the quality of expiring players in the defence next season, renewing this guy would be a mistake.

Andresito

Staff member
I guess extending him will close the window for the LB spot with Balde and Alonso locked in, especially if we sign Inigo Martinez as the veteran LCB.

Alternative would be grabbing someone whose contract is ending but with Gaya having renewed the most high profile options are Shaw, Guerreiro, Grimaldo and Bensebaini (5 goals as LB this season tbf). Not very convincing imo.

Messi983

Ugh, saw the title about veteran defender extending and was fearful it was him.

Better than extending Roberto, Bellerin or Alba tbh.

When you see the quality of expiring players in the defence next season, renewing this guy would be a mistake.

What players? As [MENTION=19407]Andresito[/MENTION] said not too convinced with Guerreiro or Grimaldo. Would prefer to keep Alonso for another season and keep looking for alternatives rather than give any of these guys a long term contract.

True.

He was fine yesterday, but that's what he is. A guy who can start Vs Almeria home.. substitute max.

Sadly in Xavis eyes he is a starter.

Is he really? When everyone healthy he was our emergency 6th choice CB (will be 5th now with Pique gone) and a backup LB but Alba probably surpassed him on the pecking order again.

I guess extending him will close the window for the LB spot with Balde and Alonso locked in, especially if we sign Inigo Martinez as the veteran LCB.

Wouldn't sign Inigo. Alonso can be that left-footed 5th CB for rest of the season and if Xavi really wants a leftie CB then we should be looking at someone like Hincapie.* I'd also rather keep Alonso for next season than give Inigo a 2-3 year contract for example. OTOH I see no reason why we should extend him now. Let the season play out and see how he does and then maybe renew him in April/May. Probably won't be much interest in him on the market and he'll surely prefer to wait on our offer but won't be end of the world if he decides to sign with another club.

*Pretty unlikely we'll spend much if any money on a LCB/LB next year though. Priorities should be RB and DM. Cheaper/free alternative might be someone like Evan Ndicka but he's primarily playing as a central CB in 3 atb system, not sure how he'd do as a LB/LWB or even LCB in 4-3-3. And well, there is a lot of interest in him and he'll surely sign with a team where he'll be a starter which I don't think he'd be here.

khaled_a_d

Alternative would be grabbing someone whose contract is ending but with Gaya having renewed the most high profile options are Shaw, Guerreiro, Grimaldo and Bensebaini (5 goals as LB this season tbf). Not very convincing imo.

All of the names you mentioned are vastly superior player to Alonso who is arguably worst player at the team currently.
Right now he isn't even a LB, but an emergency CB.
Also Alba already hinted he isn't leaving, saying he wants his end with Barca to be as late as possible. And Alba is vastly superior LB currently despite some hate he gets.

There is no upside at renewing Alonso atm tbh

mc_lovin

There is no upside at renewing Alonso atm tbh

Depending on Balde there is. If Alba is 2nd choice it makes zero sense to keep him on his current wages (given it's possible to make him leave). Balde+Alonso is fine if we cover RB well.

Gaya, Grimaldo and co ain't it by the way. I will never understand the obsession with them.

khaled_a_d

Depending on Balde there is. If Alba is 2nd choice it makes zero sense to keep him on his current wages (given it's possible to make him leave). Balde+Alonso is fine if we cover RB well.

Gaya, Grimaldo and co ain't it by the way. I will never understand the obsession with them.

I am not obsessed with this guys, I am obsessed with kicking Alonso out because he is atrocious player and worse than alternatives.
And again, Alba isn't going to be kicked out, and even if he does we will pay vast majority of his wages.
Let's kick him out first before renewing Alonso, because having 2 years of those 3 LB is pure madness.

mesiesta

Alba is much better player than him and a club legend.
However, if rumours are correct, Alba's wages are 3 times more than Alonso's. Probably that's the reason that for the backup option Alonso is preferred. If Alba will agree to reduce his wages to match Alonso's wages, I think Alonso should be the one who should be kicked out.

Rory

We need to be willing to play the long game with transfers and not waste money on average crap, especially when we already have ok options. we've got Alba, Alonso and Balde. Alphonso Davies contract expires 2025. Bayern would be willing to sell in 2024 if he hasn't renewed. I would start putting it out there in the media that we want him. Within 2/3 years we sign a fullback that can keep us going for 5 years or more. Or we can sign xijaramendoza (mixture of generic spanish names) and still not have anyone that is better than current options.

FinBarcelonafan

Messi983, Alonso was barely fit(I think he had injury and didn't play any games for Chelsea) to play Vs Bayern yet he started all the games. It's a bad sign in my eyes.

Porque

What players? As [MENTION=19407]Andresito[/MENTION] said not too convinced with Guerreiro or Grimaldo. Would prefer to keep Alonso for another season and keep looking for alternatives rather than give any of these guys a long term contract..

I was looking at the CB pool considering that is where Xavi has placed Alonso and we have Balde who should be our LB starter until end of 2023/2024 season at the least.

Outside of Skriniar who I think will get an offer larger than our budget from PSG, there is also Ndicka and Inigo who we have been linked in.

Now that you mentioned LB, I think Grimaldo is also an improvement. Never seen Ramy Bensebaini (well he was probably in an Algeria 11 a few games I seen, but you know what I mean), but from highlights he actually looks serviceable.

Alonso is OK as a last option depth for CB/LB in the same way Roberto is OK as a last option depth for RB/MC. But do we want to hold onto this type of squad players?

Home of Barca Fans