17 - Marcos Alonso

jamrock

Overloaded at LB, since we kept alba I wouldn't have signed him.

In the end we only signed one of the players the entire board was going crazy about when we first heard of pulled levelers.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
If Alonso and Balde can alternate and play well it will make it much easier for us to push Alba out of the door.

gregorrin10

Overloaded at LB, since we kept alba I wouldn't have signed him.

Anyone to push Alba more far away from the pitch is a good option in my book. Him becoming maybe even 3rd choice instead of 2nd accomplishes that, even if the new 2nd isn't that better. Hopefully Balde keeps developing as good as he has been, and Alonso also surprises us.

Last edited:

Messi983

So we didn't manage to register him last night but Chelsea have released him and he'll sign as a free agent today.

Not sure if that was always the plan though.

Joan

So we didn't manage to register him last night but Chelsea have released him and he'll sign as a free agent today.

Not sure if that was always the plan though.

Chelsea didn't unregister him in time. Doesn't matter for us.

Porque

Alba has always been a better player. Don't know what happened off the pitch, but could have done without this move.

Does take the pressure off Balde though if Alba is frozen out. Though I feel it's obvious Xavi will convert to Alonso at the first sign of a blip as he has always been his first, and only bet for LB.

Gnidrologist

FC Bumcelona can't do without a couple bums in the team
Dunno. Sign of a solid team is great starters and solid squad players, who are fine to be ones. Alonso is certainly not a bum. We can't be only signing likes of Lewy. Think one thing that Xavi and sporting direction has done well is creating solid, balanced competitive squad with enough depth to withstand long season and never be on the back foot because of unexpected shit. Also, i would agree with that kattanib guy that Alonso and Bellerin are probably more solid defenders than current Dest and Roberto. Both come for almost nothing and are not supposed to be starters. Strategic squad making > hunting every single current_year starlet and splashing money.

Raketa10

Why did we sign him for one year only? I honestly can't understand the purpose of this deal at all. If he is the replacement for Alba than 1 year deal doesn't make any sense. Romano and Romero were saying that it will be a 2+1 year deal. Something is fishy in this transfer.

gregorrin10

Signed a one year contract.

Really? That's great actually, I thought only Bellerin was on that, and that Alonso got a 2+1 deal. Looks like we're going full throttle on the full backs next summer, boys! Me likey!

At least one new RB and LB, maybe even two RB, if both Bellerin and Roberto don't impress enough to earn a new contract. This is how you do business with (average) stop gap players, you get them on a short term deal with low wages. They have all the motivation they need to come in and play their ass off trying to earn that new deal...and if it doesn't work out, you can move them on without trouble and buy someone else, which I think is the plan with all of our full backs right now except Balde. Bellerin might stay, if he performs well enough, since he's still only 27, but I think at least Roberto and Alba will go next year, and if they do, what a summer exodus that would be, all four captains and the last of the loser mentality squad OUT. :yes:

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans