Are Manchester United really the 'biggest' club itw?

FinBarcelonafan

It's true that there are a number of ways you could define the 'biggest' club but in terms of fans, they are without doubt the most supported team from England. Used to be extremely difficult to get a ticket for Premier League games and only midweek Champions League tickets were easily attainable.

But a lot of their brand exposure was from the late '90s when football started getting global and they happened to be the best side then, which coincided with being 1 in the Deloitte money standings for quite a few years after that before Madrid took over.

Exactly. United today isn't anything special.

Same as Barcelona isn't the same as they were in 2010 or 2015.

serghei

Difficult to gauge it.

Madrid is the biggest for obvious reasons, then Barcelona - basically the more hipster overall-less successful version of Madrid which occasionally produces genius. Bayern and Liverpool are not far behind. Milan and United are next probably. Juve completes the top 6.

United would rank higher in the popularity area, but best/biggest and most popular is not the same thing.

Last edited:

Horatio

You're welcome
Difficult to gauge it.

Madrid is the biggest for obvious reasons, then Barcelona - basically the more hipster overall-less successful version of Madrid which occasionally produces genius. Bayern and Liverpool are not far behind. Milan and United are next probably. Juve completes the top 6.
United would rank higher in the popularity area, but best/biggest and most popular is not the same thing.

{*}% off calling Barcelona hipster. I ain’t hipster.

Barcilliant

My two cents

United have the best marketing in the world. They have used catch phrases like theatre of dreams, the United way, class of 99 and some other bullshit. Also glamour players like Beckham,Giggs and Ronaldo. Munich crash,Busby babes, George Best have been used in marketing the mystique and tradition of the club.
Also English is widely spoken globally compared to Spanish. The former colonies in Asia have a large English speaking population and the EPL has the best marketing among the big leagues. The EPL has embraced Asia while Barcelona the idiots have rejected Asia. The last time we toured Asia the players were insular and stand offish and the sponsors, officials and fans weren't impressed.

FinBarcelonafan

Nah. I have to say, Barca has played marketing way better and is the biggest club in social media and not to mention the stunt Barca just did with Female team was genius. Barcelona just made female football into a thing. How many teams can do that? Not even Madrid.. (Because Perez doesn't give a ****. )

Also, Barca is the most interesting team to follow. No other team has this much drama. Politics, football shit show, transfers, scandals etc. It is what it is. Game of thrones football show.

Barca is a very interesting team to follow, in a interesting city.

Last edited:

Temptation

My two cents

United have the best marketing in the world. They have used catch phrases like theatre of dreams, the United way, class of 99 and some other bullshit. Also glamour players like Beckham,Giggs and Ronaldo. Munich crash,Busby babes, George Best have been used in marketing the mystique and tradition of the club.
Also English is widely spoken globally compared to Spanish. The former colonies in Asia have a large English speaking population and the EPL has the best marketing among the big leagues. The EPL has embraced Asia while Barcelona the idiots have rejected Asia. The last time we toured Asia the players were insular and stand offish and the sponsors, officials and fans weren't impressed.

Lovely post.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
My two cents

When was this? You could be right and I don't know how we have behaved differently when we were touring say, the US but tours aside, the club has courted Asia, at least portions of Asia such as China and Japan pretty extensively. We need to have a better presence in South Asia like India and West Asia etc., sure.

Porque

I bet CD Tacon ends with more CLs than us though :lol:

I was late onto the female football wave,isr of been the 2015 World Cup when I finally got the potential. But man, Perez didn't just miss the boat, he missed the f*ckin safety raft and life jacket.

Morten

Footballing-wise, they are overall 2nd to Liverpool in England, but half of Asia supports them apparently, so i guess they are the worlds biggest club.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
I bet CD Tacon ends with more CLs than us though :lol:

I was late onto the female football wave,isr of been the 2015 World Cup when I finally got the potential. But man, Perez didn't just miss the boat, he missed the f*ckin safety raft and life jacket.

You have to give it to the business genius Florentino Perez, he saw women's football a thing for the future and will generate significant money (not comparable to men's, of course but it is definitely on the way up), also it will help Madrid look good from a social perspective ("Look, we have a women's team too!!"), so he planned for a couple of years on the CD Tacon operation and finally jumped in and voila, you have Madrid Feminino. :lol:

It is all about business for them. If it is not generating money (other than basketball), they will not do it.

Rassvet

On the most recent Athletic podcast, they had a guest on who mentioned that a recent online survey had Manchester United as the biggest sports brand in the world and twice as high as the next one which was Barcelona.

I wouldn't call United the biggest club in the world since they are behind when it comes it sporting success and prestige in attracting players but they are probably still the biggest name/brand in this or any sport. The fact that they have managed to remain so talked about in the last 9 years while being so mediocre on the pitch is a testament to that.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans