Barca Squad and Planning 2022/23

Barcilliant

Us going for Christensen and letting madrid get rudiger reminds me of when barca went after a 35 years old thuram and a 32 years old zambrotta meanwhile madrid got cannavaro and Emerson and inter ibra when juventus was relegated.

Exactly. I wanted Rudiger and now Madrid have three world class players in Militao, Alaba and Rudiger. Meanwhile at Barca we've only supposedly signed Christensen who is soft. We have useless Garcia,Umtiti and Lenglet. Pique is a grandpa. This club never learns.

Joan

Breaking the salary structure for Rudiger who is a dubious fit anyway would be just dumb.

Temptation

Exactly. I wanted Rudiger and now Madrid have three world class players in Militao, Alaba and Rudiger. Meanwhile at Barca we've only supposedly signed Christensen who is soft. We have useless Garcia,Umtiti and Lenglet. Pique is a grandpa. This club never learns.

Militao isn't World Class. That would be throwing the phrase around too easily. Rudiger has been World Class lately but he's still suspect in a formation withb2 CBs. Shines in a 3 CB defense.

I think Barca need to revamp the entire defense. Ok you have 1 solid starter in Araujo/Christensen, but need a World Class CB and 2 quality Full backs.

Madrid are also interested in Reece James. Barca should really break the bank for him, he's brilliant.

Temptation

I think a lot of people think/assumes that there's no good options(good enough for where Barca want to be) out there for reasonable price but that's bollox.

There are many cheap players who can make the jump if guided correctly.

Jota was good but hardly hot property when we got him. Diaz was very cheap for us. Konate too.

In this market, scouting well is paramount.

I'll give a few examples(I have always been fascinated by scouting and squad building):

There's the Brighton RB Tariq Lamptey who has amazing potential. I think Barca should gamble on these kind of profiles. Imagine Lamptey under Alves' guidance.

Barca's recruitment is so lazy right now. Oh there's 2 CBs whose contracts are up and they play for a big club Chelsea; lets just get the one we can convince! So predictable.
Recruitment team is stealing a living.

Last edited:

ajnotkeith

This is part of the problem of our old philosophy though, even if Rudiger is free. Signing him and Christensen and every high rep free agent on high wages won't lead to a good outcome.

We are still only looking to sign finished products on huge salaries, which might not fit our philosophy, without scouting deeper and looking into high potential players who fit well into our system.

Kessie, Rudiger, Christensen, Dybala etc... It's like the scouting team just went on Transfermarkt and looked at most expensive players leaving on a free. Any club in the world can do that and transfer business like that isn't smart, you just end up with a bunch of guys on high wages that don't fit your tactics.

How did Liverpool end up with the best frontline in the world spending hardly anything in wages and salaries combined? They didn't just sign reputable players on frees, they scouted lesser known players who had the chance to develop. Even if they don't work out, it's low risk high reward to take punts like that.

Birdy

Breaking the salary structure for Rudiger who is a dubious fit anyway would be just dumb.

Agree about the first part (salary structure), not the second..

Rudiger has been WC the last 3 years on and off the ball. He would have fit like a glove next to Araujo.
Only question-mark is how long he can go and still be WC

Now, the salary structure argument should apply to all potential incomings, including Lewa

Joan

Rudiger has been WC the last 3 years on and off the ball. He would have fit like a glove next to Araujo.

Now, the salary structure argument should apply to all potential incomings, including Lewa

Haven't followed Chelsea that much before Tuchel but people say he wasn't nearly as good. With that in mind and the 3 atb system they use which he excels at can't assume his level just translates here.

He's a class player though and I'd rather break the structure for him than Lewa. Ideally neither.

Barcilliant

I think a lot of people think/assumes that there's no good options(good enough for where Barca want to be) out there for reasonable price but that's bollox.

There are many cheap players who can make the jump if guided correctly.

Jota was good but hardly hot property when we got him. Diaz was very cheap for us. Konate too.

In this market, scouting well is paramount.

I'll give a few examples(I have always been fascinated by scouting and squad building):

There's the Brighton RB Tariq Lamptey who has amazing potential. I think Barca should gamble on these kind of profiles. Imagine Lamptey under Alves' guidance.

Barca's recruitment is so lazy right now. Oh there's 2 CBs whose contracts are up and they play for a big club Chelsea; lets just get the one we can convince! So predictable.
Recruitment team is stealing a living.

Totally agree regarding scouting however Klopp knows how he wants to go play and he's good enough to make an average player look much better in his system. It's the opposite at Barca. We get a guy like Coutinho who looked great under Klopp and here he looks total shit. Can you imagine how bad Henderson and Milner would look here. That's the strength of a great manager. He knows how to put the pieces together. All we've had here are clowns who the amigos have cucked.

Temptation

Regardimg Azpilicueta: Yay or nay??

Also buying Jesus as anything other than a bench option is basically pushing your club towards mediocrity.

Temptation

Totally agree regarding scouting however Klopp knows how he wants to go play and he's good enough to make an average player look much better in his system. It's the opposite at Barca. We get a guy like Coutinho who looked great under Klopp and here he looks total shit. Can you imagine how bad Henderson and Milner would look here. That's the strength of a great manager. He knows how to put the pieces together. All we've had here are clowns who the amigos have cucked.

BTW Klopp wanted Brandt over Salah. The recruitment board stepped in and refused and insisted on Salah. The rest is history.

Milner is a squad player who has been great for every club he has played. Reliable rotational versatile player. Always was. Wouldn't credit Klopp for this.

FinBarcelonafan

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12247822/antonio-rudiger-chelsea-defender-says-he-spoke-to-tottenham-boss-jose-mourinho-about-move

He was barely playing for Chelsea under Lampard and this was around 2021

Antonio Rudiger made just one appearance in Chelsea's first 15 games of the Premier League season as the Germany defender fell out of favour with Frank Lampard; Germany international thriving under Thomas Tuchel and says he wants a contract extension

People saying he has been long time world class is BS and even this season Chelsea has dipped a lot. Rudiger could be a system player just like anybody who was part of that CL winning Chelsea team. It was a fluke imo. One of the weakest CL winners in my book. Tuchel gets my credit for winning CL with that team. He built a perfect system for that team to have a chance to win. Kudos to him.

I don't personally rate Chelsea players that high other than Kante. They have players who can develop into a very good players though.

But yes, they are still better quality than what Barca has right now. (Why I am happy we signed Christensen for hopefully backup position).

Last edited:

Birdy

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12247822/antonio-rudiger-chelsea-defender-says-he-spoke-to-tottenham-boss-jose-mourinho-about-move

He was barely playing for Chelsea under Lampard and this was around 2021

Antonio Rudiger made just one appearance in Chelsea's first 15 games of the Premier League season as the Germany defender fell out of favour with Frank Lampard; Germany international thriving under Thomas Tuchel and says he wants a contract extension

People saying he has been long time world class is BS and even this season Chelsea has dipped a lot. Rudiger could be a system player just like anybody who was part of that CL winning Chelsea team. It was a fluke imo. One of the weakest CL winners in my book. Tuchel gets my credit for winning CL with that team. He built a perfect system for that team to have a chance to win. Kudos to him.

I don't personally rate Chelsea players that high other than Kante. They have players who can develop into a very good players though.

But yes, they are still better quality than what Barca has right now. (Why I am happy we signed Christensen for hopefully backup position).

The fact that Lampard wasn't playing him doesn't prove he was not WC/

Some players need the eye of a WC coach to unleash their potential

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
I want players like Gavi. Players who are ready to die for this shirt. Everything else is secondary. This is the foundation we are to build upon.

Home of Barca Fans