La Liga | Round 31: Levante - FC Barcelona 2-3

Messi983

Xavi has done nothing so far to suggest he'd do some crazy rotations between two games. Don't really have much options for rotations either with players like Dest, Memphis and LDJ still out. Could see the same team that finished game last night starting on Sunday with Alves coming on for Lenglet and Araujo moving back to CB.

But yeah, this could be a potential banana slip game. Levante's form improved over the last month (especially at home - 7 points from last three games) and are now hoping to stay in La Liga so they'll give their best.

Horatio

You're welcome
Xavi has done nothing so far to suggest he'd do some crazy rotations between two games. Don't really have much options for rotations either with players like Dest, Memphis and LDJ still out. Could see the same team that finished game last night starting on Sunday with Alves coming on for Lenglet and Araujo moving back to CB.

But yeah, this could be a potential banana slip game. Levante's form improved over the last month (especially at home - 7 points from last three games) and are now hoping to stay in La Liga so they'll give their best.

but but....Pedri is being run into the ground. Why not substitute him for Puiq?

Bobo32

but but....Pedri is being run into the ground. Why not substitute him for Puiq?

Pedri had an excellent game vs Sevilla, just like the rest of the team. Then he had a quiet and quite bad game against Frankfurt, like the rest of the team.
Pedri is right now, just like the rest of the team, playing decently well overall, and he doesn't look extremely fatigued like he did one year ago, in a team that didn't function very well (despite decent/good results). That is why I do not moan about him playing now but did one year ago.

Yes Xavi seems to overvalue Pedri just like Koeman did and not even consider that he might be playing badly, choosing to sub Gavi yesterday for example, and he seems to not trust Puig at all, just like Koeman. It's a shame, but Xavi deserves to choose on his own, as he has shown hints of turning this ship around. I'd prefer if I saw more hints of original thought from him though, and also if I saw more rotation overall, I do not like having a fixed 11 but prefer managers who can rotate and still maintain a good team.

Horatio

You're welcome
Pedri had an excellent game vs Sevilla, just like the rest of the team. Then he had a quiet and quite bad game against Frankfurt, like the rest of the team.
Pedri is right now, just like the rest of the team, playing decently well overall, and he doesn't look extremely fatigued like he did one year ago, in a team that didn't function very well (despite decent/good results). That is why I do not moan about him playing now but did one year ago.

Yes Xavi seems to overvalue Pedri just like Koeman did and not even consider that he might be playing badly, choosing to sub Gavi yesterday for example, and he seems to not trust Puig at all, just like Koeman. It's a shame, but Xavi deserves to choose on his own, as he has shown hints of turning this ship around. I'd prefer if I saw more hints of original thought from him though, and also if I saw more rotation overall, I do not like having a fixed 11 but prefer managers who can rotate and still maintain a good team.

I will be completely honest Bobo, I was just pointing out the double standards. Just like all of a sudden since this season since Xavi beat them Sevilla has been promoted to being a top club(someone commented).

I will respect Xavi's decision just as I respected Koeman. If Pedri is getting these minutes I believe is in accordance with him. If he says he feels fit and Xavi thinks he can handle it I will respect decision just as I have done so before.

So no criticism from me towards Xavi regarding this, they know more than I do. Just surprised nobody asking for pedri to get rested all of a sudden.

Bobo32

I will be completely honest Bobo, I was just pointing out the double standards. Just like all of a sudden since this season since Xavi beat them Sevilla has been promoted to being a top club(someone commented).

I will respect Xavi's decision just as I respected Koeman. If Pedri is getting these minutes I believe is in accordance with him. If he says he feels fit and Xavi thinks he can handle it I will respect decision just as I have done so before.

So no criticism from me towards Xavi regarding this, they know more than I do. Just surprised nobody asking for pedri to get rested all of a sudden.

My post was an attempt at explaining why it is not a double standard from me.

Of course you can (like many posters here seem to) be content with whatever the current manager chooses to do. Yes the manager has superior insight (and most likely superior football knowledge/feel) compared to us, but I thought it was clear as day Koeman didn't know what he was doing and was a disaster, and mishandled Pedri massively.

I don't think Pedri is in extreme need of rest currently, but he should've probably been the one subbed yesterday instead of Gavi, and he should be rotated here and there like Frenkie has been. He is not untouchable.

Horatio

You're welcome
I don't think Pedri is in extreme need of rest currently.

Again will trust coach on the matter. If you do not think he needs rest now then when does he need rest according to you? He has played on average per game 82 minutes since his return and played every game. I know this can be misleading because he could have had rest in form of having played only 10 minutes in string of 2 games and could still show that average. But look on transfermarkt to get and idea of him playing pretty consistently.

Again, not saying he needs rest just trying to work out the reasoning here.

Bobo32

Again will trust coach on the matter. If you do not think he needs rest now then when does he need rest according to you? He has played on average per game 82 minutes since his return and played every game. I know this can be misleading because he could have had rest in form of having played only 10 minutes in string of 2 games and could still show that average. But look on transfermarkt to get and idea of him playing pretty consistently.

When it is clearly visible on TV that he needs rest. If he continues to play every minute the next two weeks and keep looking like he did yesterday, then I will begin to post as I did last year about him needing rest. If he tears his hamstrings and needs to go off the pitch and then like a miracle is ready to play 90 minutes again the next game, then I will question that.

It was also the case that the team didn't play very well anyway last year, and other players lost match fitness because of him not resting ever. Nico and Gavi are in the mix now more than Moriba or Puig were last year.

Horatio

You're welcome
When it is clearly visible on TV that he needs rest. If he continues to play every minute the next two weeks and keep looking like he did yesterday, then I will begin to post as I did last year about him needing rest. If he tears his hamstrings and needs to go off the pitch and then like a miracle is ready to play 90 minutes again the next game, then I will question that.

Ok got ya.

Andresito

Staff member

He rested almost the full game against Iceland during the break.

Birdy

Need to be smart with the rotations here. 2-3 players max.

Nope.
Rest the entire XI
We are playing with bottom LL side, and we have margin for dropping points given our upcoming schedule.
On Thursday we are playing for the only trophy left in the season, and an important one

Last edited:

Iniesta Ultra

The last two times we played Levante away we lost 3-1 Oct '19 and drew 3-3 May '21.

Pedri's not tired but even if he were wouldn't excuse Frankfurt performance.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans