Canada

BarcaOG

Banned
There's no Canada thread. Let me fix that.

We just beat the US 2-0. Tremendous result.

Canada is as close to qualifying for a WC as we have been since we last participated, in 1986.

It's happening!

BarcaOG

Banned
We have some exciting youngsters on the team: Davies, of course, the superstar, as well as Jonathan David, who has been doing very well in France.

We'll never win anything or even rival the 'big guys' but it is nice to have a team that is at least somewhat competitive.

BarcaOG

Banned
tbh we'll lose 6 out of 10 games against the US, haha. but if my memory serves me right we have had a decent run against you guys for the past year and a half or so.

canada has always been a massive underachiever in soccer so i am very happy to see our fortunes swing upwards

Windhook

ohhhh canada! :D :)

I said a while ago, I think Canada have a great future in football ahead of them with the pool of immigrant generation that develops in good conditions. Looks like they will dominate the continent for the next decade.

BarcaOG

Banned
I said a while ago, I think Canada have a great future in football ahead of them with the pool of immigrant generation that develops in good conditions. Looks like they will dominate the continent for the next decade.

agree. canada can draw on a very diverse mass of immigrant talent (since native canadians arent exactly crazy about soccer)--latin americans, asians, middle easterns, eastern europeans. definitely a lot of potential talent.

canada will never be a soccer power but we should at least qualify for the WC consistently, since our opposition tends to be small island nations, which a country like canada really should be able to beat

Windhook

canada will never be a soccer power but we should at least qualify for the WC consistently, since our opposition tends to be small island nations, which a country like canada really should be able to beat

Depends on the level the national team players are playing. Davies is so far the most popular Canadian abroad, but more will follow I'm certain. So far some are playing in France, Turkey and 2nd tier in England, which is good enough in quality to qualify from CONCACAF as such was the case for Costa Rica and Jamaica in the past. With good coaching more players will get exposure, so I'm optimistic about Canada. It's how the market mechanics work.

BarcaOG

Banned
sad fact: the last time Canada qualified for the WC, we lost all 3 group games with an aggregate score of 5-0. probably the biggest achievement was only losing 1-0 to France :lol:

Home of Barca Fans