Tactics discussion

Birdy

I don't know if there exists already a tactics thread,
but it's a good idea to keep the pure tactical discussions separate from the other stuff.

I am starting with posting here different structures Xavi has used thus far in his first spell as coach (source).
We have seen more or less these structures:
1)
FKMBEvxWYAA69yG

2)
FKMBJZcXoAIjdL_

3)
FKMBOzhXMAQt6PM

4)
FKMBQ11WQAASSnE

I wanna pick up the 1st one with some changes in the names there,
as I think it is the most stable and efficient given the personnel we have and their qualities, especially now in the 2nd half of the season:

- 3 at the back will most likely be Araujo-Pique-Eric, even though I think the ideal would be Araujo-FDJ-Eric,
with Alba staying as LWB as in the pic

- On the right side, now that we have Adama, it's a no brainer that Adama plays RWB/RW there

- Then, If Xavi continues playing Busi 90 min every game, this is the structure that 'masks' his weaknesses especially in transitions.
Using pic's annotations, I would have DM - Busi, LCM - Pedri

- Then, I would have Ferran as CF - the best of our crop in movements behind defenses - and then I think Memphis can play really well as what the picture calls LW, occupying the left half-space not the flank

- Finally the RCM can be played by Frenkie (if he is not a Libero) with moves inside the box

- Gavi and Nico could be subs for Pedri and Busi/Frenkie respectively in that formation.

I would love to hear what you think about this, or about the other formations above

Last edited:

Fati_Future_BallonDor

Great analysis. Let's call the other tactic experts too [MENTION=6099]JamDav1982[/MENTION] [MENTION=16942]BBZ8800[/MENTION]

Find us the perfect tactic guys.

Windhook

It's all about the diamond formation/positioning in midfield. And when you have players who are not familiar or not up to standard with this system things are not executed efficiently.

Home of Barca Fans