Name: Ignacio Pena Sotorres
Date of birth: Mar 2, 1999
Place of birth: Alicante Spain
Height: 1,84 m
Citizenship: Spain
Position: Goalkeeper
Foot: right

khaled_a_d

Couldn't find a thread for him, please merge if there was one.
One of the most highly rated GK from La Masia, probably the highest rated since VV

At the age of 22 (almost 23) he has yet to establish himself in 1st team.
Rumours now that he is leaving in January, with Galatasaray being most likely destinations.
Hasn't been called as 3rd GK past few games.

khaled_a_d

Agree on Pena, Tenas is 20 so being Barca B GK isn't a problem.
He should go on loan in summer.
As for Pena, I actually think he should be sold in summer. He is 23 now and with basically no hope for 1st team football in Barca.
Lazar Carevic should also be sold IMO, sad about him not succeeding here, had high hopes to have a tall GK for once.

Well, I actually want all of 1st team and B team to be different next year :lol:

PS: I don't like that we go every game with 3 GKs, it kills the progress of some of our younger GK. Leave them with Barca B

JamDav1982

Tenas could have been doing with first team football at a better level before now.

Getting to 21 and having Barca B level as top played at isnt great and club rarely will rely on that as evidence that ready to step up.

Too small anyway for me and is poor with balls into box.

Pena should be loaned to see what level he is at and if can add any value. Doubt would get much for selling him now.

Andresito

Staff member
Muslera is out with a knee injury, so Galatasaray would be a good destination for him.

But yeah, not a lot of hope of him being useful for us, other than getting 2-3m when inevitably selling him.

Messi983

Agree on Pena, Tenas is 20 so being Barca B GK isn't a problem.
He should go on loan in summer.
As for Pena, I actually think he should be sold in summer. He is 23 now and with basically no hope for 1st team football in Barca.
Lazar Carevic should also be sold IMO, sad about him not succeeding here, had high hopes to have a tall GK for once.

Well, I actually want all of 1st team and B team to be different next year :lol:

PS: I don't like that we go every game with 3 GKs, it kills the progress of some of our younger GK. Leave them with Barca B

I think it's what most teams do these days with expanded benches. Just to prevent any unnecessary risk. If for example one of first two GKs gets injured during warmups you still have a cover on the bench if your starter gets send off or something. And when a team travel for away game a day before this is even more important as one of the GKs can get sick over the night.

Also, first team and Barca B often don't play on the same day. If they're both at home on the same weekend then Pena can easily play for Barca B on Saturday and sit on the bench of the first team the next day (or reverse). Even if under some strange circumstances he'd have to play two games in 24 hours he's a GK and can handle that. And when we play on Wednesday/Thursday he can almost always go with the first team as Barca B very rarely plays during the week.

A bigger problem is if Pena is training regularly with the first team then he won't have much chemistry with Barca B. And a good understanding between keeper and his defenders is of course very important. And could also be unfair to likes of Tenas and Carevic who train regularly with Barca B if then they wouldn't get a chance to play.

Porque

I think Jordi Masip was a better GK than both. If either can secure a move then good on them.

It is a shame how much size comes down to it too, but it is what it is. If any were 1.9m+ then they would easily be 2nd choice material. But I have to question how almost all GKs that come through LaMasia are too short compared to the international standard. Are they initially midfielders or what!?

Tenas - 1,85m (dubious on this)
Inaki - 1,84m (dubious on this)
Jordi Masip - 1,8m
Valdes - 1,83m

And then the ones we signed (Ezkeita, Oier, Carevic, Ortola) who did have height were never any good.

While the one decent one who came through with height, ball playing and reflexes, we let go (Ondoa).

Weird.

Last edited:

Porque

Anyone know how he is performing so far? I've seen highlights from the first two games and the saves were decent, but nothing exceptional.

4 conceded in 3 games, but maybe the Gala fans are happier than the numbers suggest?

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
Anyone know how he is performing so far? I've seen highlights from the first two games and the saves were decent, but nothing exceptional.

4 conceded in 3 games, but maybe the Gala fans are happier than the numbers suggest?

Saw them say on social media that he is very good with his feet and looked decent so far for them. Gala are awful this season, so the bar isn't high. But the fans are liking him a lot on social media and even asking him to come permanently for now

Porque

Saw them say on social media that he is very good with his feet and looked decent so far for them. Gala are awful this season, so the bar isn't high. But the fans are liking him a lot on social media and even asking him to come permanently for now

Thanks for that.

I was going to say he is never going to be good enough at crosses to start for us, but then I realised we had Steg for 7 years :lol:

gregorrin10

Stellar performance so far. Two or three nice saves and very good distribution even when under pressure. Hopefully Xavi is being attentive. Really wish we actually give this man a chance next season in the first team. His stint at Gala has been a massive success already.

Home of Barca Fans