Best post-CL team

Which team was the best?

• Total voters

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
I guess it's a good thing he decided to listen to the manager for those 10 months in 2015...

If you believe Suarez it was Messi who got annoyed one game and told Suarez to stay in the middle while he moved to the RW :lol:

Atletico in the CL always been a pain for us. A couple of the goals we conceded vs. them could also have been saved that year btw....just saying. If you look at some of the goals ter Stegen has conceded in hindsight you're left with the feeling that someone else may have done better.

Last edited:

khaled_a_d

If you believe Suarez it was Messi who got annoyed one game and told Suarez to stay in the middle while he moved to the RW :lol:

Lucho clearly preferred Messi on the RW though, and Suarez was signed based on that, but it is always difficult to force a player like Messi/CR7 etc to stay far from goal .
I think it was Messi that finally realized it was better to stay on RW in this 2015 calendar year run.

serghei

Atletico in the CL always been a pain for us. A couple of the goals we conceded vs. them could also have been saved that year btw....just saying. If you look at some of the goals ter Stegen has conceded in hindsight you're left with the feeling that someone else may have done better.

Of course, I never rated Stegen to begin with.

But the thing is Lucho knew he couldn't control the South American gang up front for long. In that sense, I preferred the cold professionalism of Benzema, Ronaldo, and Bale. I think it was a thing Ronaldo said at the time, that they are not friends, but when it's time to play they do their jobs because they are pros. I liked that more.

With talent alone, you never achieve your goals. It should have been MSN to win 3 CLs in a row, but it was Madrid's trio that did it. There's a reason for that. Basically talent and fooling around without hard work and order doesn't get it done. Not saying MSN didn't work hard, but they just weren't at the required level of professionalism and discipline to really complement each other well on a tactical level. I'm sure Lucho had a very tough time getting them to respect his instructions and by the end, they pretty much did what they wanted on the field without much sense.

Normally a team containing MSN can't score 0 goals vs Juventus in 180 mins, when Madrid fecking scored 4 in a single game.

Joga Bonito Amigo stuff may work amazing to smash Getafe and the likes, but in CL you have to bring up a sharper level and more tactical discipline. And they fell flat after 2015.

Neymar, Messi, Suarez, these are not really such dream players for a manager to direct as much as it's made out. They cause many problems. All 3 are problematic characters who tend to do what they want at the expense of the team's stability.

Last edited:

Windhook

But the thing is Lucho knew he couldn't control the South American gang up front for long. In that sense, I preferred the cold professionalism of Benzema, Ronaldo, and Bale. I think it was a thing Ronaldo said at the time, that they are not friends, but when it's time to play they do their jobs because they are pros. I liked that more.

With talent alone, you never achieve your goals. It should have been MSN to win 3 CLs in a row, but it was Madrid's trio that did it. There's a reason for that. Basically talent and fooling around without hard work and order doesn't get it done. Not saying MSN didn't work hard, but they just weren't at the required level of professionalism and discipline to really complement each other well on a tactical level. I'm sure Lucho had a very tough time getting them to respect his instructions and by the end, they pretty much did what they wanted on the field without much sense.

Normally a team containing MSN can't score 0 goals vs Juventus in 180 mins, when Madrid fecking scored 4 in a single game.

Joga Bonito Amigo stuff may work amazing to smash Getafe and the likes, but in CL you have to bring up a sharper level and more tactical discipline. And they fell flat after 2015.

Neymar, Messi, Suarez, these are not really such dream players for a manager to direct as much as it's made out. They cause many problems. All 3 are problematic characters who tend to do what they want at the expense of the team's stability.

Great analysis.

Lucho's mistake after 2015 was to revert to the old days of just holding up the ball and let the opposition park the bus. In 2015 Messi would drop down to the half line to dribble his way up to score some fucking out of this world goals. Doesn't matter whether it was Eibar or Athletic Bilbao. By 2016 that thing was a thing of the past and the blueprint of Jordi Alba from the wing giving a pass to Messi inside was in the making. Should have had a more conservative approach against Atletico definitely, like we let Pep's Bayern run their show only to hit them lightning quick blows on the counter attack. Same as Real Madrid did in 2014.

Morten

Never understood how that Juventus side basically didn't concede goals, until the final that is.

They were solid, but not really that amazing defensively, and conceded chances against you and other teams as well, so a bit luck involved i'd say.

Morten

Great analysis.

Lucho's mistake after 2015 was to revert to the old days of just holding up the ball and let the opposition park the bus. In 2015 Messi would drop down to the half line to dribble his way up to score some fucking out of this world goals. Doesn't matter whether it was Eibar or Athletic Bilbao. By 2016 that thing was a thing of the past and the blueprint of Jordi Alba from the wing giving a pass to Messi inside was in the making. Should have had a more conservative approach against Atletico definitely, like we let Pep's Bayern run their show only to hit them lightning quick blows on the counter attack. Same as Real Madrid did in 2014.

But Atletico doesn't want to run the show, their plan against other top sides is to sit deep, even though they press from the front every now and then, they are quick to get back into shape.

Fati_Future_BallonDor

2010 followed closely by 2016, 2012 is distance third.
2016 would have been better if it wasn't for awful timed international break (with MSN, Bravo and Alves travelling to SA) and Messi deciding life is better playing centrally than on RW midway in the season.
Such wasted potential

I would have really see bayern against barca 2016, i think both were the best teams in the world.

Fati_Future_BallonDor

While the previous two years Bayern were beaten by better sides, in 2016 they were simply unlucky against Atletico imo, should have made the final.

Yeah right, was peak Pep Bayern. Bayern had 33 shots at home and only scored 2 goals against Atletico. Bayern vs Real in final would have been interesting too.... :thinking:

Windhook

But Atletico doesn't want to run the show, their plan against other top sides is to sit deep, even though they press from the front every now and then, they are quick to get back into shape.

True. They pressed a lot in every area and that's the way to stop tiki-taka and look for the openings. But they had these types of games around 4 times a season back then. Atletico Madrid vs. Valencia, for example, was just back and forth game, back and forth.

KingLeo10

I guess it's a good thing he decided to listen to the manager for those 10 months in 2015...

Because he'd lost the WC final and was motivated as hell.

Then, we won the most dominant treble ever (statistically) and he was like, fuck it.

Neymessi

Imo the 2015 team was losing steam pretty quickly. The whole feeling was that it was an extremely top-heavy team that was losing its balance quickly. MSN were a bit of flat track bullies outside of 2015 and those sensational 10 months.

It was special, but short-lived. And at the top in CL, it didn't quite work except for that one season.

Yes, it was backed up by mostly the individual brilliance of the front 3. Even the midfield was nothing special, neither was the defence. Even that one season we did wonders for half a season. The first half of that season no one could have dared said we would have won the treble.

Windhook

Yes, it was backed up by mostly the individual brilliance of the front 3. Even the midfield was nothing special, neither was the defence. Even that one season we did wonders for half a season. The first half of that season no one could have dared said we would have won the treble.

Yep, the start of the 2014/15 was terrible, Suarez was fat and returned from his biting incident ban right on El Clasico which we lost at Bernabeu. Which was shocking as everybody was used to Barca winning Bernabeu games. All was tragic until that away loss against Sociedad, which was the turning point. Not sure what happened after this game but nothing could stop MSN from that point on.

Home of Barca Fans