Valverde: a second look

BarcaOG

Banned
I was wrong--on two counts. On the Valverde question I was wrong in my assessment of Messigician's position. I was wrong too on the question itself. I waged a wrongheaded anti-EV campaign for at least 3 years, mostly against Messigician.

The truth is that the last time we looked like a 'team', with a 'shape', a consistent style of play, and which delivered results, was under EV.

To be sure, it was ugly football. Almost unwatchable. I skipped many matches under his tenure because it was unsightly stuff. There is no redeeming that aspect of his tenure.

But it was effective--at least in the league. Imagine that: back then, we expected the league and demanded the CL. And that is why we sacked him, in our arrogance. Today we can only hope for the league, dream of the CL, and expect nothing.

I don't exactly miss you, mister--but I do miss having something like a proper coach who could deliver results, at least in the league.

[MENTION=19457]KingLeo10[/MENTION] posted somewhere or other that we may be, and indeed already are, at the level of an Arsenal/Milan/Man U: stuck, very likely for years, while Real remains a strong club.

Fati_Future_BallonDor

True i have also changed my opinion about him in last months. We always insulted him during his time here. Yeah we played crap football under him but at least we looked like a team.

Rassvet

Great post OG :thumbsup:

It’s nice that there are still a few of us on here able to reconsider our initial opinions on things

Morten

Well done, BarcaOG, you realize now that EV wasn't that bad after all.

More and more people will come to realize that they judged him too harshly, history will be kind to him.

khaled_a_d

Esthetics have been always his problem, which understandably frustrated people, this is an entertaining business at the end of the day.

The board promised the guy a squad that had early prime Neymar, Umtiti & Verratti, instead gave him injured Umtiti and asked him to deliver with old squad.

He wasn't without faults, but was underrated and blamed for things that wasn't on him

messi2140

6racies Xavi
Ngl , absolutely hilarious how anyone on BF could have guessed who the 4 first avengers that would assemble in this thread would have been.

El Gato

Villarato!
It's preposterous strawman tendency to suggest Barca are going Arsenal way. It's just a panic argument lads. One that RM fans also made when Ronaldo left and got boinked by Ajax in R16. Chill.

Arsenal has been 4-10th for years with a guy like Ozil as their best player. Meelan wouldn't qualify for CL for years. Barca are twice as affluent and have twice the talent these two sides did when their dynasties ended.
Will it get worse before it gets better? In all likelihood yes. But goddamn, relax

KingLeo10

Ngl , absolutely hilarious how anyone on BF could have guessed who the 4 first avengers that would assemble in this thread would have been.

I'm surprised Morten hasn't chimed in.

When your arch rival's fan is a fan of one of your coaches, you know something is fishy. :lol:

BarcaOG

Banned
Well done, BarcaOG, you realize now that EV wasn't that bad after all.

More and more people will come to realize that they judged him too harshly, history will be kind to him.

you were right, indeed--he wasnt as bad as gary neville :lol: :lol:

BarcaOG

Banned
It's preposterous strawman tendency to suggest Barca are going Arsenal way. It's just a panic argument lads. One that RM fans also made when Ronaldo left and got boinked by Ajax in R16. Chill.

Arsenal has been 4-10th for years with a guy like Ozil as their best player. Meelan wouldn't qualify for CL for years. Barca are twice as affluent and have twice the talent these two sides did when their dynasties ended.
Will it get worse before it gets better? In all likelihood yes. But goddamn, relax

i hope you are right wolfe but given our finances, our political presidents, our awful transfer and extension decisions...im not so sure

Windhook

General FC Barcelona talk section is full of irrelevant threads that belong to some other threads. Going back to page 3 you'll see topics started by two guys mainly.

Home of Barca Fans