Diego Almeida

Messi983

QFofQBy3_400x400.jpg

da.png

Surprised there is no thread on him yet here. One of the most talented CBs in La Masia, only 17 and has already been called up for Ecuadorian senior NT. His contract is expiring in 2023 and clubs like PSG and Bayer are already following him closely. Barca wants to keep him and will negotiate with his agent Rodrigo Messi.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Surprised as well

Almeida moved from Cadete A to play for Juvenil A in the UEFA Youth CL, only 17 y.o. Likely he could get his B team debut as well but far too early for the 1st team

As for his strengths, he is an incredibly gifted central defender - both in defense and particularly elegant on the ball

Porque

Seen a little of him, like him, but Casas (I confused his name with Casado in another thread btw [MENTION=29755]Bobo32[/MENTION]) is more refined on the ball and better positionally.

Jorge Messi as his agent, pfff this will be a tough one to renew. The Messi's don't seem the most emotionless people and would probably split their assets if the temperature of the Yerba Mate wasn't correct.

Last edited:

Messi983

BTW, talking about Ecuadorians, they have two other young defenders I like from the little I saw from them

1. Piero Hincapie (19) who was just signed by Bayer Leverkusen last summer. Can play as CB/LB.
2. Jackson Porozo (Boavista, 21)

And then other interesting talents like Moises Caicedo (DM/CM, 20, Brighton - currently on loan in Belgium), Gonzalo Plata (winger, 21, Sporting CP, on loan at Valladolid), Diego Palacios (LB, 22, LAFC, we were interested to sign him for Barca B in 2019), Leonardo Campana (ST, 21, Wolves - on loan at Grasshoper) and the most proven of them - Pervis Estupinan who is playing at Villarreal. They were part of the Ecuadorian U20 team that finished 3rd in U20 WC in 2019.

So they've produced some good talents lately who could be available for relatively cheap if discovered soon. Surely a country I hope Barca scouts are looking in for new talents.

JamDav1982

Lacks height and been done in the air a few times in the UEFA youth league. Probably why they have been trying him at RB in few of the Juvenile A games recently.

Not sure if can overcome that height to become a top CB but on ball looks great. A bit like Sergio Ramos.

Andresito

Staff member
We are in serious danger of losing him. Read he was going to train more with first team to convince him.

JamDav1982

If they can convince him to stay as a RB he could be perfect for Xavis system if remains like this.

Boy is as composed and as sweet a striker of a ball as will see but seems to small to be a CB.

JamDav1982

At most a few cm's shorter than Mingueza. Still above 1.80.

As I said he is smaller than Mingueza and above 1.80 doesnt mean much.

Would guess it is the main reason they are trying to convert him to RB as was dominated in air in UEFA Youth League too often.

Messi983

Well, that's not too bad then. Puyi is only 1.78 and Masche 1.74, I've thought he's somewhere around these two.

JamDav1982

He can play CB I don't see his height being an issue.

In youth league his height was an issue and Barca were getting a battered a bit with balls into box because of it.

Maybe he can get past that and be good CB like others in past but not surprised club are rumoured to want to convert to a RB.

Unreal on ball which may make up for lack of height to play at CB so can see how he goes.

Home of Barca Fans