CL | Round 5: FC Barcelona - SL Benfica 0-0

Andresito

Staff member
Would be awesome to win tomorrow and get some breathing room against Bayern. Then maybe even play those who need playing time and give most starters a rest.

ajnotkeith

Benfica are coming off the Bayern defeat in good form, with a 6-1 hammering of Braga in in the league and a 4-1 to Pacos Ferreira in the cup. This will be a hard game and credit is due to Xavi should we win.

If we could find a goal, and then look to defend with the ball and frustrate them using our technical skill, we can get a win here.

Being at home will also surely help with a packed Camp Nou and confidence from the Espanyol victory.

Birdy

Hope everybody here understands that IF we even draw this, we are out to Europa League right?

jairzinho

Don't have good feelings about this game. We could only muster one goal against Espanyol while they missed about 3 or 4 easy chances and Benfica are a much better team.

Barcilliant

Europa league, here we come.
Benfica are better than us. Not only will we lose tomorrow but we'll lose badly. At cl level you simply cannot be fragile defensively.. even against the lesser teams.
When was the last time we had a midfielder score a goal?
I expect Benfica to beat us 3 or 4-1. I wonder what Laporta and Xavi will say to the fans.

FinBarcelonafan

Europa league, here we come.
Benfica are better than us. Not only will we lose tomorrow but we'll lose badly. At cl level you simply cannot be fragile defensively.. even against the lesser teams.
When was the last time we had a midfielder score a goal?
I expect Benfica to beat us 3 or 4-1. I wonder what Laporta and Xavi will say to the fans.

Scared of this too. Our downfall will be defense.

ajnotkeith

Benfica are good, but not that good, and if I remember correctly were only 3rd in Portugal last year. Despite the injuries and weak squad it is within the team's ability to win and I hope they do not think the things we are saying in this thread.

The bookmakers seem to think we are the big favourite here, pricing Benfica at around +400/4/1. Along with a packed Camp Nou and higher morale a win is entirely possible.

Xavi must make sure the team is tightened up defensively and gets their transitions right, not to over extend in attack, and to keep a cool head if we are under pressure.

mc_lovin

It seems to be between Coutinho and Demir for 3rd forward. Hopefully the latter as Coutinho gives me physical pain (and Gavi on the left makes more sense, so Demir is a better fit).

Shame about Pedri's relapse, he was the best player against Benfica in the first leg.

Home of Barca Fans