CL | Round 5: FC Barcelona - SL Benfica 0-0

malvolio

The only way for us to hope for some sort of result against Bayern is to discard all of our pride etc. and play like a lower or mid-table Bundesliga team does when they play against Bayern: Park the bus, being super defensive and compact in the back and only hoping to hit Bayern with counters.

The thing is no Barca manager will ditch our pride and self-respect and play like that. They will probably get sacked if they did.

more like if bayern discards their pride and gives us the match. the only real possibility to advance to KOs.

there is not other way in hell we are winning there, regardless of what approach we choose.

Windhook

In my mind Barca are already out of Champions League. Bayern with their philosophy will never show any mercy/sympathy for a fallen giant. Unless 3/4 of their squad is under COVID lockdown.

FinBarcelonafan

In my mind Barca are already out of Champions League. Bayern with their philosophy will never show any mercy/sympathy for a fallen giant. Unless 3/4 of their squad is under COVID lockdown.

True I think so. We have probably 5-10% chance to win there(vs their top players) and then Benfica will win home 75-85%..not exactly good odds but we got small hope.

Porque

A glaring stat from the CL group stage is that in our opening game Barcelona ran 110km as a team and Bayern ran 125km. The big point of this is the difference, because in all other group games Bayern ran as much as their opponents (1-2km +/- their opponents). Enough to beat them basically.

I think it shows that Bayern not only want to beat us but punish us when we play them. They are not going to hold anything back in the final group game and will love nothing more than to knock us out.

mesiesta

Pros of qualifying to CL

Maybe finances.

Pros of not qualifying to CL

We can theoretically win EL.
If we fail to make Top 4 in the league, we still will have the hope of qualifying to next CL by winning EL.
Better environment for our youngsters where they can play with the teams they can actually beat (at least more chances).
Most likely we will not get smashed by some big team (City/Liverpool).

I just don't know how it will differ financially. For example, is getting eliminated in CL's 1/8 stage better than reaching semis in EL?

Andresito

Staff member
Pros of qualifying to CL

Maybe finances.

Pros of not qualifying to CL

We can theoretically win EL.
If we fail to make Top 4 in the league, we still will have the hope of qualifying to next CL by winning EL.
Better environment for our youngsters where they can play with the teams they can actually beat (at least more chances).
Most likely we will not get smashed by some big team (City/Liverpool).

I just don't know how it will differ financially. For example, is getting eliminated in CL's 1/8 stage better than reaching semis in EL?

I think so. Only winning the EL is OK money, and I think it's the same amount, around 8m or so as reaching to QF.

Gari

there might be a problem:
Group B standings
1. Liverpool 15
2. FC Porto 5
3. AC Milan 4
4. Atletico Madrid 4

FinBarcelonafan

Group B standings
1. Liverpool 15
2. FC Porto 5
3. AC Milan 4
4. Atletico Madrid 4

And last match Porto Vs Atletico. Damn. Atletico is most likely out.

I have to say, Simeones past few years in CL, hot garbage...

Horatio

You're welcome
Group B standings
1. Liverpool 15
2. FC Porto 5
3. AC Milan 4
4. Atletico Madrid 4

I have read something about that group that with a certain result next game 2nd place will be determined by number of cards.

Horatio

You're welcome
You're correct. To reach that point though, a lot of criteria needs to be met.

So I found out what they are. If last round the two games end like this:

Milan 1-0 Liverpool
Porto 0-2 Atletico

between Milan and Atletico second place will be decided on number of cards.

Home of Barca Fans