Injuries? Lets Talk About That!

Messigician

Heading into Saturday?s game against Celta Vigo, the Blaugrana were already missing the services of starters Pedri, Ousmane Dembele and Sergino Dest due to muscular issues.

Pedri has been out on the sidelines for quite a while now, with no specific timeline provided on his recovery. As for Dest, the USMNT star pulled up with an injury ahead of Barca?s game against Dynamo Kyiv while Dembele picked up a hamstring problem during the same match ? his first appearance of the season.

And Barcelona?s problems were compounded further as three more players ? Ansu Fati, Eric Garcia and Nico Gonzalez all had to come off with fresh injuries at the Balaidos on Saturday evening.

This is NOT normal, WHAT IS GOING ON?

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Few people were brought in this summer by Laporta to the medical team. Results are great just like in other departments since great Joan came back.

khaled_a_d

Not fixing the medical staff is what I blame Laporta the most tbh.
Whatever the reason of this mess, it should have been addressed aggressively and not in November

serghei

It's a combination of medical and fitness staff probably. The trainings we do, don't seem to match the intensity of the games, speculation but that's the problem imo. Laporta and Xavi have to fix this fast because we'll ruin our youngsters if they can't catch a break with injuries.

Laplacian

It's exaggerated.

1. Most teams have a few players that are regularly injured. Liverpool has Keita, Thiago, Gomez, and Oxford Chamberlain. Bayern has Coman, Lucas Hernandez, Sule, Corentin, and before that guys like Thiago and so on. Chelsea has Pulisic, Loftus Cheek etc and it goes on and on.

2. Young players that are new to professional football are far more likely to get injured than experienced players. This is to do with the regularly increased intensity found in training sessions. There are studies to back this up. If a club has a young player regularly playing football, it's expected for them to get regularly injured which is why the transition from youth to professional football is so tough - all young players have to overcome this barrier.

3. Players at the tail end of their careers are more likely to get injured due to physical decline.

4. Players whom face major injuries, are more likely to experience multiple "after-effect" injuries even after they recover in multiple different parts of the body.

What Barcelona's currently facing is, in my opinion, an unlucky coincidence. Our most hyped players are either super young or/and have a long history of injuries, and thus a good portion of the current "core squad" are a combination of several demographics that are at risk. Considering our current state we're more likely to take notice of injuries as well. A couple of years back with the old guard and their squad, the number of injury prone players were restricted to about 3 or 4. The squad was usually healthy and capable of regularly playing games with little issue.

I do agree that we have an issue with physical conditioning as well, but I think our biggest problem is simply player selection. Hindsight is 20/20 but I've been saying this forever, you can't build a team on teenagers. You can't build a team on players that have been experiencing major injuries for the past 5 years either.

Last edited:

mc_lovin

Generally I would say bad luck, but at the moment I am not so sure anymore.

Our injured 11 would comfortably beat our fit 11 at the moment :lol:

malvolio

It's exaggerated.

1. Most teams have a few players that are regularly injured. Liverpool has Keita, Thiago, Gomez, and Oxford Chamberlain. Bayern has Coman, Lucas Hernandez, Sule, Corentin, and before that guys like Thiago and so on. Chelsea has Pulisic, Loftus Cheek etc and it goes on and on.

2. Young players that are new to professional football are far more likely to get injured than experienced players. This is to do with the regularly increased intensity found in training sessions. There are studies to back this up. If a club has a young player regularly playing football, it's expected for them to get regularly injured which is why the transition from youth to professional football is so tough - all young players have to overcome this barrier.

3. Players at the tail end of their careers are more likely to get injured due to physical decline.

4. Players whom face major injuries, are more likely to experience multiple "after-effect" injuries even after they recover in multiple different parts of the body.

What Barcelona's currently facing is, in my opinion, an unlucky coincidence. Our most hyped players are either super young or/and have a long history of injuries, and thus a good portion of the current "core squad" are a combination of several demographics that are at risk. Considering our current state we're more likely to take notice of injuries as well. A couple of years back with the old guard and their squad, the number of injury prone players were restricted to about 3 or 4. The squad was usually healthy and capable of regularly playing games with little issue.

I do agree that we have an issue with physical conditioning as well, but I think our biggest problem is simply player selection. Hindsight is 20/20 but I've been saying this forever, you can't build a team on teenagers. You can't build a team on players that have been experiencing major injuries for the past 5 years either.

This basically! Close the thread, we done here

serghei

Barcelona's overcrowded infirmary. Bad luck or bad management?

As usual, a combination of multiple bad factors working at once to produce a terrible outcome.

Bad management + bad luck + very young core with not yet fully matured bodies. It's not only one or the other.

Mitchell1978

There's also a genetic factor, some people are just way more injuryprone and others are very durable.

Pretty shure someone like Robben took great care of himself yet he was often injured.

Respekt_III

Anti-everything
Think a major contributing factor is the lack of intensity in our training. There have been enough leaks to suggest that it's severely lacking.

Birdy

It's exaggerated.

1. Simply not true.
Some teams have, and in these teams the med department is not working well.
Same players under a different med department stop getting injured.
Recent example?
RM last season compared to this season.

Then, the part about the injury-prone players is propaganda at its best.
Yes, there are players with more propensity to break and tear muscle.
Does this mean that they have to be permanently or almost permanently sidelined? No way
Iniesta is a good example of a WC injury prone player. When the med department was working well, he stayed whole season without injury.

At the other end, there are players who almost never get injured because of the opposite propensity.
When EVEN THESE players get injured, yes there is something wrong with the med department.
Example at Barca? Frenkie

2 is true.
But not recurring injuries, and not suffering re-lapses.
then, there is something wrong

3. No evidence for this one.

4. Neither for this

And then, you avoid talking about the elephant in the room:

When so many ex- or current Barca players, talk about the lack of intensity and duration of training sessions at Barca AND the lack of physical preparation in general, compared to other clubs they have been
you can't simply brush away that when you see the injury crisis

Home of Barca Fans