Who Should Laporta Appoint: Xavi or Roberto Martinez?

Who Should Laporta Appoint: Xavi or Roberto Martinez

• Total voters

JohnN

Voted Xavi. This is a bust season anyway. Will give him time to implement some of his ideas and will give us insight on his abilities to assess at the end of the season. If we see progress with this crop of players, then we continue for a long term rebuild project with him. If we see no progress or regression, we hire someone new in the summer.

Devils

1)Brendinho Rodgers
2)Brendinho Rodgers
3)Brendinho Rodgers
4)Martinez
5)Xavi ---> He will continue to play Busi/Pique/Alba/Roberto every game

i_bleed_blaugrana

1)Brendinho Rodgers
2)Brendinho Rodgers
3)Brendinho Rodgers
4)Martinez
5)Xavi ---> He will continue to play Busi/Pique/Alba/Roberto every game

If whoever comes honestly does that, they need to be gone as quickly as they arrived.

I dont believe Xavi would actually do that, despite what he says to the media from an outside, fan perspective.

Andresito

Staff member
If the question is phrased like that, the answer is pretty clear for me with Xavi.

If it would've been "Should Xavi take over from Koeman now?", I'd be a lot more doubtful.

Birdy

Neither of course.

But i would prefer Martinez, given that if he sucks he can be gone in 1-1.5 yr from now
On the contrary, with Xavi, even if he sucks, you have all the delusional Barca-DNA paranoia that will keep him on the bench way longer to the detriment of the team...

Ghostmaster

Danger Ahead
Roberto Martinez will be another Koeman, we would be just wasting 12M for nothing. Xavi seems like the obvious choice, but he didn't want to take the position earlier when we were in much better financial situation, why would he take it now when we are in such a mess? It would be better for him to arrive in 2-3 years then all the seniors are gone and we might some cash for new signings instead of trying to be club's savior right now.

i_bleed_blaugrana

Neither, but with Xavi we will be fighting for relegation with boring tiki taka.

Tell me, have you actually watched Al-Sadd at all?

Neither of course.

But i would prefer Martinez, given that if he sucks he can be gone in 1-1.5 yr from now
On the contrary, with Xavi, even if he sucks, you have all the delusional Barca-DNA paranoia that will keep him on the bench way longer to the detriment of the team...

I am pretty clearly in the Xavi camp but if the writing on the wall he is out of his depth, he wont more time than Roberto would or Koeman has so far strictly due to him being a legend.

You can quote me on this too: if he comes in and we actually do sell, I am not going to blindly defend him. We need to be patient for sure with whoever comes next but progress and a clear idea is the requirement and if Xavi cannot deliver that, he should go sooner rather than later.

All that said, I just see a lot there that makes me think he isnt just a Pep clone, he has his own ideas and I think he would have the balls to bench his former teammates if they couldnt keep up in what he needs.

I get the reservations, its very risky but I would like us to actually try playing our football well like Ajax are doing, see how that goes and then try to rethink a new play style, if necessary and Xavi is a good candidate to do this here for me.

Who would you rather us have and please do not say Klopp?

Birdy

You can quote me on this too: if he comes in and we actually do sell, I am not going to blindly defend him. We need to be patient for sure with whoever comes next but progress and a clear idea is the requirement and if Xavi cannot deliver that, he should go sooner rather than later.

Are you sure about that? Maybe if you talk for youself.
But, form what I have seen in the Xavi-goers here, and what I can imagine regarding the fanbase in general, I can def. see him getting unjustified patience for an extended period of 2,3,4 years

I had answered here the last question:
I think we have a more than good chance to convince Ten Haag in the summer, not now because all serious coaches not leaving their clubs mid-season
I would wait with Koeman until then, or if shit hits the fan with him (in terms of conflict with Laporta) I would appoint an interim like Pimienta.

i_bleed_blaugrana

Are you sure about that? Maybe if you talk for youself.
But, form what I have seen in the Xavi-goers here, and what I can imagine regarding the fanbase in general, I can def. see him getting unjustified patience for an extended period of 2,3,4 years

I had answered here the last question:
I think we have a more than good chance to convince Ten Haag in the summer, not now because all serious coaches not leaving their clubs mid-season
I would wait with Koeman until then, or if shit hits the fan with him (in terms of conflict with Laporta) I would appoint an interim like Pimienta.

I am speaking strictly for myself here. I am sure plenty who like Xavi would blindly twerk for him, even if we are losing 5-0 every match and dont deserve it. I, for one, will not be one of those people :lol:

In terms of Pimienta: I really wish he was in the running as I fully agree he is probably my preferred pick for this situation. ten Hag is also the man and a boss but idk, something just doesnt feel right about trying to sneak in and poach him up like Bayern, right when he is really starting to cook up there in Amsterdam. We are better than that and I want us to move on from moves like that with Laporta and moves like that are on that Barto shit.

Ideally, I would bring in Pimienta and give him till the end of the season. Then next season, either have Xavi come on as an assistant and have them work together for Xavi to take over for the next season or Xavi just steps in at the beginning of next season. I think given the nature of the men involved, a collaboration of this sort could work and they would be open to it if the idea was presented well: Xavi gets a smooth transition in, Pimienta finally gets the shot he deserves, could develop the talent we have now and could have time to line up a big move for himself afterwords. Especially if he does decently, he would probably fair a lot better in landing a job post-Barca than either Valverde or Setien. None of this will happen obviously but this would have been my first idea if I was Laporta.

He wants to launch the project now (a dubious decision I will say) so if it has to be now, I want it to be Xavi specifically because I think he could be our own version of ten Hag. I would rather us try it this way, keep the relations with them strong so we can have first options on future prospects instead of launching into a messy seduction campaign starting now or next summer that will unquestionably sour our relationship with Ajax.

Again, we need to be better than that.

Last edited:

akaranzo

Out of the two, Xavi. But man is he going for an uphill battle if this is really going to be his first managerial job in Europe.

Home of Barca Fans