La Liga | Round 2: Athletic Bilbao - FC Barcelona

Daisymorr

2-1 win...

Will be a tough test, good to see how we play as a team in a tough game without the GOAT :messi:

Last edited:

ajnotkeith

Would like to see Dest benched and Emerson given his first start, but by training indications, Emerson is probably starting from the bench again

JamDav1982

My expert eye on issues that developed in last game once Sociedad had a chance to adjust to Barca and Bilbao will look to exploit today.

1. Link between CBs and midfield was poor...Pique often takes too many touches trying to spray ball from back before will give it quickly into midfield. Busi is becoming a liability ON the ball as well as off it as he is too slow as sole DM to make angles and take ball quickly into midfield and when does get it slows game down trying to roll opposition or dive for foul. Looked v Sociedad when they pressured he was not even trying to move to take it into midfield quickly as knew he cant do it.

2. Above allowed Sociedad to pressure the back line who passed it well enough between them but too often deferred ball back to Neto to try a 'long pass' that rarely came off.

3. Lack of real pace up top allowed Sociedad to play high line and pressure midfield and defence of Barca high up park.. forcing these long balls.

4. Forward players rarely receiving the the ball in and around the box but getting it on half way line miles from opposition area.

Porque

Sport understandably predicting the same lineup as last week.

Araujo matched up very well with Inaki last season. Let's see how Eric does. I got a feeling he could get the run around.

FinBarcelonafan

Sport understandably predicting the same lineup as last week.

Araujo matched up very well with Inaki last season. Let's see how Eric does. I got a feeling he could get the run around.

Yep, Araujo better play vs Inaki. Pique and Eric lack speed/quickness.

JamDav1982

Probably why Barca been telling Pique he needs to rest a potential injury this week... but he wants to play through it.

Too scared to tell him he is dropped for Araujo and he himself still thinks of himself as a great with none of the hammerings to fast/physical sides anything to do with him.

serghei

The link between CBs and midfielders always was problematic under Koeman. He sees midfielders as more taking space higher-up and puts too little importance on assisting build-up from deep. This is one of the reasons why our possession-keeping aspect has deteriorated under him, while directness improved. Koeman plays long-ball often, making it seem as almost bypassing the midfield when it's crowded, instead of finding ways to do the build-up under pressure through top movement and passing. He just doesn't train these aspects the same way elite managers do, one of his limitations for sure.

The support movement from midfielders to receive from the CBs is not the best, and the CBs themselves aren't too quick, or those who are quick don't have top technique. Also, the DM which is the most important player in this situation, is probably one of the slowest players in the league.

This was somewhat solved or lessened when De Jong played at libero, but otherwise, we always suffered here. It's partly on the players, partly on the manager.

Last edited:

mc_lovin

Early days, but I would take Garcia and Pique in 95% of matches over Araujo. Composure and buildup is king vs "lesser" teams.

serghei

Early days, but I would take Garcia and Pique in 95% of matches over Araujo. Composure and buildup is king vs "lesser" teams.

Whenever the other team has particularly strong or fast forwards, Araujo should be the pick. Luckily, not many teams in La Liga have these types of players.

Bilbao are one of the few ones that do. I'd put Araujo to take care of Inaki. He's their most dangerous player by far.

Home of Barca Fans