Lionel "The Greatest of All Time" Messi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitchell1978

Messi is turning dead to me. I always thought I was more of a fanboy and never expected it to happen this fast. It feels liberating as I don't have to get myself involved with Messi v. Ronaldo discussions anymore.

I feel the same way about Barcelona, i can enjoy the shitshow that is FC Barcelona (Laporta/Koeman/toxic fanbase/hysterical media) without caring even a little...

JamDav1982

Much more interesting to watch this new team developing than a Barcelona where more or less all geared to Messi and too much at his feet the tactics and if Barca won.

Correct decision in end for both sides to move on.

Horatio

You're welcome
I feel the same way about Barcelona, i can enjoy the shitshow that is FC Barcelona (Laporta/Koeman/toxic fanbase/hysterical media) without caring even a little...

Sad to hear. But a fan should be there during highs as well and the lows. This is when the club needs you more than ever.

soul24rage

I am pretty sure that there is nobody in this forum who thought the team would go on and massively improve after a GOAT tier player, around whom the team had been built for at least a decade left us and no replacement was brought in. That would be just dumb.

But it's also pretty clear that with Messi there are issues which stem from his playing style. Not having to bother with those is a better ground for rebuilding. And it can (and should) start showing this season. Not with results (as nobody can bring what Messi did) but in playing patterns, pressing, defending, collective side of the game.

Having Messi here for one more season might give us a glimmer of hope that the title is within reach, but it's not much in the grand scheme of things.

So, losing Messi is a big blow, but opens certain possibilities which the team must take.

I would have been ok with this and with Messi leaving if we started this season with a coach who has a clear identity on the collective side like a Tuchel, Pep, Klopp, Flick, Nagelsmann.

Feel like Koeman is a manager who mostly relies on individuals without having a clear identity imo.

For me, the aspects that were mentioned will only happen when a new manager that Laporta really likes comes in.

serghei

I am pretty sure that there is nobody in this forum who thought the team would go on and massively improve after a GOAT tier player, around whom the team had been built for at least a decade left us and no replacement was brought in. That would be just dumb.

But it's also pretty clear that with Messi there are issues which stem from his playing style. Not having to bother with those is a better ground for rebuilding. And it can (and should) start showing this season. Not with results (as nobody can bring what Messi did) but in playing patterns, pressing, defending, collective side of the game.

Having Messi here for one more season might give us a glimmer of hope that the title is within reach, but it's not much in the grand scheme of things.

So, losing Messi is a big blow, but opens certain possibilities which the team must take.

Agreed, As you say, the title may seem more within reach with Messi on, but mind you, still with a good possibility of failing to get it. The title appeared within reach in both last 2 seasons and we still imploded when we had to make our move due to various factors.

I would have been ok with this and with Messi leaving if we started this season with a coach who has a clear identity on the collective side like a Tuchel, Pep, Klopp, Flick, Nagelsmann.

Feel like Koeman is a manager who mostly relies on individuals without having a clear identity imo.

For me, the aspects that were mentioned will only happen when a new manager that Laporta really likes comes in.

Yeah, Koeman is good to a point. He's not the manager that would create a new team that's for sure, but he's good as a cleaner or in the incipient phase to man up these kids into more mature players, learning them to get used to the pressure and responsibility. Until someone with a better vision comes up and starts drawing this new team on the board.

Still, as fans, we have to accept that this is in fact year 1 into a proper clearly assumed rebuild. What we did so far up to this point was to try and still patch things up so we can snatch a title and postpone this moment, all piggybacking on Messi basically. Can't burns stages without some serious cash. We'll be in for a longer rebuild than we'd like, but the process can be nice and can have its perks.

Last edited:

soul24rage

Yeah, Koeman is good to a point. He's not the manager that would create a new team that's for sure, but he's good as a cleaner or in the incipient phase to man up these kids into more mature players, learning them to get used to the pressure and responsibility.

Yeah, I will forever be grateful to Koeman for playing these young players and the young players will be grateful to Koeman as well.

Relax Messi will return

I do wonder how he will do as an ambassador.

Last edited:

serghei

Yeah, I will forever be grateful to Koeman for playing these young players and the young players will be grateful to Koeman as well.

Yea, when dust will settle in, looking back, Koeman will have had a place and a role if these kids really become big names in 3-5 years. Too bad he kind of sees this as a bad thing, I'm sure he'd actually prefer an older mature team. I'm sure he'd exchange this situation for the last good amigo years that EV got.

Horatio

You're welcome
Yea, when dust will settle in, looking back, Koeman will have had a place and a role if these kids really become big names in 3-5 years. Too bad he kind of sees this as a bad thing, I'm sure he'd actually prefer an older mature team. I'm sure he'd exchange this situation for the last good amigo years that EV got.

Not sure about that. He is known for wanting to work with youth. He wanted to rejuvenate Valencia as well. That's why he got into problems with the older players there. He rejuvenated the Dutch national team. Few days ago he said integrating youth in the team is something he feels familiar with(or something along those lines). I am getting the impression he has a blast working with these kids and think they respect him(shows on pitch). Likely the club de amigos would drive him nuts soon enough.

Joan

Not sure about that. He is known for wanting to work with youth. He wanted to rejuvenate Valencia as well. That's why he got into problems with the older players there. He rejuvenated the Dutch national team. Few days ago he said integrating youth in the team is something he feels familiar with(or something along those lines). I am getting the impression he has a blast working with these kids and think they respect him(shows on pitch). Likely the club de amigos would drive him nuts soon enough.

The Dutch NT entrusted Koeman with leading the rejuvenated team and at Barca, he won't get that. Laporta is doubtful of him and Bartomeu hired him probably with no vision about his role in the future of the club. He's here, doing his dream job and he won't get a chance to fight for titles with a better, (re)built squad. Even if he does a great job with the kids, he'll likely get a sack in the summer. Can't do much to make his tenure memorable for which I'm sad tbh. That's why I'm rooting for him to overperform.

In that sense, I think he'd rather be in Valverde's shoes, despite potentially preferring to work with youth.

Joan

Yh, that's true. Especially the bold. I don't think Koeman is a poor coach or anything, but his team would be more of vanilla than pistachio. He's got no clear identity like some of the coaches from your list.

In a sense, you'll see a bit of everything with him. With time, they'll work on some common patterns, do some crossing, practice collective defending and pressing. But he's got no signature and that suits better squads (in terms of individual quality).

He won't get another chance to do any of it with Laporta at the helm, though.

I didn't want Messi gone either. But with some distance, I'm content with the way things panned out.

Agreed, As you say, the title may seem more within reach with Messi on, but mind you, still with a good possibility of failing to get it. The title appeared within reach in both last 2 seasons and we still imploded when we had to make our move due to various factors.

That's true, don't think we'll win it either.

khaled_a_d

I don't think he does, neither do EV.
But Koeman knows he needs results, he knows that fans aren't patient, he knows a guy like Laporta is very ambition when it comes to the team.
I think Koeman wants a rebuild, and doing it but he wants to be judged accordingly, simple fact is very few does that

KingLeo10

Was kinda hoping he'd drop Ansu a video message or something about the no.10 shirt and him making a return from injury.

Looks like the bridge is absolutely burned between him and Laporta.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans