User Tag List

Page 413 of 438 FirstFirst ... 313363403411412413414415423 ... LastLast
Results 6,181 to 6,195 of 6564

Thread: Lionel Messi

  1. #6181
    Senior Member
    KingLeo10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Forum D'Amigos Tactical Unit - BBZ Containment Office
    Posts
    10,646
    Mentioned
    309 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OGbarca View Post
    ? messis performance in the KO stage in the past few years has been just as crappy, lol. you really dont want to go there
    Since EV started/MSN ended (17-18), Messi's scored the 2nd most CL KO goals I believe (3, 6, 1, 2 = 12), after CR7 (6, 5, 2, 0 = 13). Lewandowski has scored (2,0,4,2 = 8).

    It's "crap" for prime Messi standards, but pretty good even for world class standards. He's comfortably above Lewa, for example with a worse team than Bayern of the last few years. I'm not saying he's a better player than Lewa OF TODAY, but it's easy to exaggerate without looking at the numbers.

    EDIT: I will have to double check Lewa's numbers (I'm fairly certain about Messi/CR7) but this is what I remember.

  2. #6182
    President of FC Barcelona
    DonAK's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    35,466
    Blog Entries
    3
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    His KO performances in 2018/19 was great and that was two years ago.

    Really criminal how we managed to fuck that up. Messi been criticized heavily for some of his KO performances last few years and in some cases rightly so due to his passive play, but the team really let him down that year.

  3. #6183
    Senior Member
    KingLeo10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Forum D'Amigos Tactical Unit - BBZ Containment Office
    Posts
    10,646
    Mentioned
    309 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DonAK View Post
    His KO performances in 2018/19 was great and that was two years ago.

    Really criminal how we managed to fuck that up. Messi been criticized heavily for some of his KO performances last few years and in some cases rightly so due to his passive play, but the team really let him down that year.
    Agree. I was very disappointed by his performance versus Roma and AM for example, but in recently years, he won the Chelsea and Man United ties on his own and almost got us home v an elite Pool side. So, it's not like he's been a complete no show with 0,1,2 goals in 10 games or something.

  4. #6184
    President of FC Barcelona
    DonAK's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    35,466
    Blog Entries
    3
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingLeo10 View Post
    Agree. I was very disappointed by his performance versus Roma and AM for example, but in recently years, he won the Chelsea and Man United ties on his own and almost got us home v an elite Pool side. So, it's not like he's been a complete no show with 0,1,2 goals in 10 games or something.
    Yeah, and it's that Liverpool tie that completely sours me on Ernie too.

    Like I think you could make a fair case for Valverde and the job he did at Barca given he took over the club in a very tough spot. I can let go of the Roma debacle, but that Liverpool collapse is a very tough pill to swallow. Whenever I think about Valverde I think about what happened at Anfield and as far as I'm concerned he lost all the goodwill he had earned that night.

    You can blame some of the players and you definitely should, but you cannot lose back to back CL campaigns the way we did under Valverde with the leads we had. Liverpool missed multiple key players too.

  5. #6185
    Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Posts
    401
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Country: Canada
    praising his camp nou liverpool performance is, again, exactly like saying kaka and hernan crespo had a brilliant first half against liverpool in the 2005 CL final, and leaving it at that, making no mention of the calamity that ensued after

    sorry, but that wasnt the end of the story. you cant take his 2019 home liverpool match out of context just because it suits your narrative
    xavi really needs to punch someone

    est. 2009 dont let my join date fool you

  6. #6186
    President of FC Barcelona
    DonAK's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    35,466
    Blog Entries
    3
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OGbarca View Post
    praising his camp nou liverpool performance is, again, exactly like saying kaka and hernan crespo had a brilliant first half against liverpool in the 2005 CL final, and leaving it at that, making no mention of the calamity that ensued after

    sorry, but that wasnt the end of the story. you cant take his 2019 home liverpool match and take it out of context just because it suits your narrative
    Messi played a good game at Anfield too. Only Barca player who played well. Go back and watch that game. No single player can win a game on his own, but Messi certainly came the closest to pulling Barca through to the CL final that year.

    You can criticize a lot of Messi's performances like KingLeo10 said, but if you want to trash him for 2018/19 then you're just being unfair or hating for the sake of it.

  7. #6187
    Senior Member
    Fati_Future_BallonDor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    X
    Posts
    10,938
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Country: Portugal
    Quote Originally Posted by DonAK View Post
    Yeah, and it's that Liverpool tie that completely sours me on Ernie too.

    Like I think you could make a fair case for Valverde and the job he did at Barca given he took over the club in a very tough spot. I can let go of the Roma debacle, but that Liverpool collapse is a very tough pill to swallow. Whenever I think about Valverde I think about what happened at Anfield and as far as I'm concerned he lost all the goodwill he had earned that night.

    You can blame some of the players and you definitely should, but you cannot lose back to back CL campaigns the way we did under Valverde with the leads we had. Liverpool missed multiple key players too.
    I still think with the ball holding player Arthur instead of busi we would have won the tie against liverpool

  8. #6188
    Senior Member
    KingLeo10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Forum D'Amigos Tactical Unit - BBZ Containment Office
    Posts
    10,646
    Mentioned
    309 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OGbarca View Post
    praising his camp nou liverpool performance is, again, exactly like saying kaka and hernan crespo had a brilliant first half against liverpool in the 2005 CL final, and leaving it at that, making no mention of the calamity that ensued after

    sorry, but that wasnt the end of the story. you cant take his 2019 home liverpool match out of context just because it suits your narrative
    Again, people don't criticize CR7 for when he only performs excellently in 1 leg (like say Juventus 17-18, for example). Difference is he had Ramos, Marcelo, Benz, Bale etc. to back him up unlike Messi who had Suarez (with his 2-3 CL KO goals in 4 years) and Dembele. When Messi had a strong crew of Xavi, Iniesta, Suarez (prime), Neymar(prime), Alves, he was dominating the CL without breaking a sweat too.

  9. #6189
    6racies Xavi
    messi2140's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    8,767
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OGbarca View Post
    praising his camp nou liverpool performance is, again, exactly like saying kaka and hernan crespo had a brilliant first half against liverpool in the 2005 CL final, and leaving it at that, making no mention of the calamity that ensued after

    sorry, but that wasnt the end of the story. you cant take his 2019 home liverpool match out of context just because it suits your narrative
    But they did their job and so did Messi. Not Messi's fault that everything around him collapsed and Valverde's solution was to bring in Semedo in the 60/70th minute to play more "attacking"

  10. #6190
    Senior Member
    Fati_Future_BallonDor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    X
    Posts
    10,938
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Country: Portugal
    Quote Originally Posted by DonAK View Post
    Messi played a good game at Anfield too. Only Barca player who played well. Go back and watch that game. No single player can win a game on his own, but Messi certainly came the closest to pulling Barca through to the CL final that year.

    You can criticize a lot of Messi's performances like KingLeo10 said, but if you want to trash him for 2018/19 then you're just being unfair or hating for the sake of it.
    You forgot Arturo

  11. #6191
    Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Posts
    401
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Country: Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by DonAK View Post
    Messi played a good game at Anfield too. Only Barca player who played well. Go back and watch that game. No single player can win a game on his own, but Messi certainly came the closest to pulling Barca through to the CL final that year.

    You can criticize a lot of Messi's performances like KingLeo10 said, but if you want to trash him for 2018/19 then you're just being unfair or hating for the sake of it.
    on the contrary, i thought he was very good in 2018/2019, the closest he has come to his 2010-2015 levels. i simply disagree that he was all that against liverpool, considering the final outcome. messi gave up and was defeated by half time in anfield--im not sure we are talking about the same match. yes, he was great in the first leg, but in the second he was not, far from it. the point here is that you dont get to pick and choose which leg of a 2 legged tie youre going to make an argument from.
    xavi really needs to punch someone

    est. 2009 dont let my join date fool you

  12. #6192
    Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Posts
    401
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Country: Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by KingLeo10 View Post
    Again, people don't criticize CR7 for when he only performs excellently in 1 leg (like say Juventus 17-18, for example). Difference is he had Ramos, Marcelo, Benz, Bale etc. to back him up unlike Messi who had Suarez (with his 2-3 CL KO goals in 4 years) and Dembele. When Messi had a strong crew of Xavi, Iniesta, Suarez (prime), Neymar(prime), Alves, he was dominating the CL without breaking a sweat too.
    i dont disagree and i dont think these points are mutually exclusive. cr did not deliver in the CL for juve
    xavi really needs to punch someone

    est. 2009 dont let my join date fool you

  13. #6193
    President of FC Barcelona
    DonAK's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    35,466
    Blog Entries
    3
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OGbarca View Post
    on the contrary, i thought he was very good in 2018/2019, the closest he has come to his 2010-2015 levels. i simply disagree that he was all that against liverpool, considering the final outcome. messi gave up and was defeated by half time in anfield--im not sure we are talking about the same match. yes, he was great in the first leg, but in the second he was not, far from it. the point here is that you dont get to pick and choose which leg of a 2 legged tie youre going to make an argument from.
    We'll just agree to disagree then as I have no intention to continue this back and forth tbh.

  14. #6194
    Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Posts
    401
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Country: Canada
    fine fine
    xavi really needs to punch someone

    est. 2009 dont let my join date fool you

  15. #6195
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    5,526
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fati_Future_BallonDor View Post
    You forgot Arturo
    Biggest myth for me. He was a headless chicken.