Lionel "The Greatest of All Time" Messi

Status
Not open for further replies.

raskolnikov

It's clear to see the midfield is the big problem at psg. The front 3 have to come back there to get the ball so much and especially last night. And when neymar does he tries to run most of the time and ends up losing it. At least messi was trying to build up the play with passes. If the front 3 could get more of the ball higher up against top teams they would be so much more dangerous
You would feel with the supporting cast they have this should be possible.
Atleast more than was shown. Poch needs to go first.

Rory

It's clear to see the midfield is the big problem at psg. The front 3 have to come back there to get the ball so much and especially last night. And when neymar does he tries to run most of the time and ends up losing it. At least messi was trying to build up the play with passes. If the front 3 could get more of the ball higher up against top teams they would be so much more dangerous

Do agree the midfield aren't good enough at transitioning the ball. However, If the front 3 pressed then they'd win the ball back higher up the pitch more often. Double edged sword having the front 3 of PSG.

malvolio

Do agree the midfield aren't good enough at transitioning the ball. However, If the front 3 pressed then they'd win the ball back higher up the pitch more often. Double edged sword having the front 3 of PSG.

the best passing midfield in the world could easily get through the press provided by PSG's forwards last night. see the second goal scored by jesus an notice that forwards tried to press but city moved the ball easily to the flank and then the goal came.

as a forward you can't be running non-stop to get the ball from deep and then to start running at the opposition midfield/defense. either tactics are wrong or personnel is not up to scratch.

the 'PSG forwards don't press at all' is just the easiest excuse and fits this narrative that in the modern game everyone presses. but if you look at both games vs city you can see neymar, mbappe and even messi trying to press and helping the defense.

Last edited:

Rory

the best passing midfield in the world could easily get through the press provided by PSG's forwards last night. see the second goal scored by jesus an notice that forwards tried to press but city moved the ball easily to the flank and then the goal came.

as a forward you can't be running non-stop to get the ball from deep and then to start running at the opposition midfield/defense. either tactics are wrong or personnel is not up to scratch.

the 'PSG forwards don't press at all' is just the easiest excuse and fits this narrative that in the modern game everyone presses. but if you look at both games vs city you can see neymar, mbappe and even messi trying to press and helping the defense.

But PSG don't have the best passing midfield in the world. And should your team need to rely on that for the forwards to be effective?

I'm not saying what you think I'm saying. Of course it's not as simple as PSG forwards don't press. But that's not my argument. I just think they should have worked a bit harder higher up the pitch. This would enable the midfield to be higher up and defence. Shifting the field of play from mostly in PSG's half to the middle of the pitch and at times in city's half. This then would bring about more chances and more opportunities for Messi and co to create and score.

I do think the midfield is poor going forward on the ball though.

malvolio

But PSG don't have the best passing midfield in the world. And should your team need to rely on that for the forwards to be effective?

I'm not saying what you think I'm saying. Of course it's not as simple as PSG forwards don't press. But that's not my argument. I just think they should have worked a bit harder higher up the pitch. This would enable the midfield to be higher up and defence. Shifting the field of play from mostly in PSG's half to the middle of the pitch and at times in city's half. This then would bring about more chances and more opportunities for Messi and co to create and score.

I do think the midfield is poor going forward on the ball though.

chasing ghosts higher up the field is not a solution either. every city defender and even GK could come out of that press. navas on the other hand was asking marquinos to take the ball and do something with it.

maybe the problem is that the collective press is not good enough. maybe it's a problem of tactics.

mc_lovin

maybe the problem is that the collective press is not good enough. maybe it's a problem of tactics.

There is no tactical solution when the front 3 plays like they do. All things considered PSG defended very well.

But not gonna lie, it's fun to see PSG fans having the same repetitive arguments we used to have here. Same applies to United and Ronaldo.

malvolio

There is no tactical solution when the front 3 plays like they do. All things considered PSG defended very well.

But not gonna lie, it's fun to see PSG fans having the same repetitive arguments we used to have here. Same applies to United and Ronaldo.

PSG fans? are there any in here?

Rory

chasing ghosts higher up the field is not a solution either. every city defender and even GK could come out of that press. navas on the other hand was asking marquinos to take the ball and do something with it.

I'm not asking them to chase ghosts though. When the time is right they should always press and they don't. The tactics don't seem like they are there either, agree with that. Issue with a collective press is that it only works as a collective.

If Poch has anything about him he needs to demand collective pressing and if they don't do it when they should sub them off. If PSG want to sack him for it then there's a diva in Manchester waiting to not press for him too lol.

Raketa10

Those front 3 can't play together. Neymar is done, he is ready for MLS, Mbappe is not a no.9 and Messi is old and unmotivated. Only hope for PSG is that they show some balls and bench Neymar but that won't happen. As a consequence they are defending with 7 players. Sometimes even with 6, when Di Maria is on the field. In addition to that, their midfield is horrible. Verratti is the only midfielder that can make the difference but he is injured all of the time. PSG will probably win Ligue 1 but they will lose against first strong opponent in CL. Their team is unbalanced as it gets.

Last edited:

Fati_Future_BallonDor

Counter attacking is imo the best solution again man city but the problem was that Messi and neymar cant run on top speed so it was clear as fuck that both will just try to play a long ball to Mbappe. Di Maria would have helped a lot and he should play over Neymar or Messi.

Raketa10

Counter attacking is imo the best solution again man city but the problem was that Messi and neymar cant run on top speed so it was clear as fuck that both will just try to play a long ball to Mbappe. Di Maria would have helped a lot and he should play over Neymar or Messi.

Di Maria is done as it gets. He is basically semi retired player. There is no manager in the world who can coach this team full of egomaniacs. Did you see the front three and Di Maria yesterday. The all walked 80% of the time and none of them (Di Maria included) where willing to defend. No one can play on highest level like that. No team in the world can defend with only 6 or 7 players.

Last edited:

Fati_Future_BallonDor

Di Maria is done as it gets. He is basically semi retired player. There is no manager in the world who can coach this team full of egomaniacs.

Nah last season against bayern and city di maria was their best player or at least one of the best. Di maria is able to play clever passes and can unlike Neymar/Messi still run fast with the ball. I would like to see Messi Mbappe Di maria front three but it wont happen. They would rather bench mbappe than Ney or Messi :lol:

FinBarcelonafan

Di Maria is done as it gets. He is basically semi retired player. There is no manager in the world who can coach this team full of egomaniacs. Did you see the front three and Di Maria yesterday. The all walked 80% of the time and none of them (Di Maria included) where willing to defend. No one can play on highest level like that. No team in the world can defend with only 6 or 7 players.

DiMaria is always one of the most hard working player for Argentina and PSG, not sure what you are smoking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans