Lionel "The Greatest of All Time" Messi

Status
Not open for further replies.

delancey

It is true that Messi was already longing to leave the club one year earlier. There was certainly beef between Messi and Bartomeu, so much so that he tried to force a free transfer from his childhood club (we formed him). That tension carried over into the Laporta era. So Catalina is right, it was not only about money. But it was still an important factor in his decision. I doubt any other club in the world would have paid him more than PSG. Only Bartomeu, perhaps. 😅

Messi had most likely already held contract negotiations with PSG before it was even announced that he was leaving us. Hence why the signing was finalized so quickly. That also means that he always had a salary benchmark comparison during contract negotiations with us.

Also, I have to say that I see things a bit differently when it comes to this whole idea that no one could possibly have asked Messi to play for free. If anyone could have done so, it is us! The way I see it, He would have earned a billion (insert his total earnings) over a 22 year period instead of a 21 year period, in order to help his club out during difficult times. It seldom gets mentioned how Messi benefitted from playing at Barcelona. Truth is, both benefitted tremendously from one another during a 21 year period. Match made in Heaven! That should command respect and gratitude from both parties.

Finally, some say that we never asked him to play for free. Did Messi offer us to play for free? When we want something, we find a solution. But yes, there is more to it than money, as Catalina pointed out. But he is making fat stacks at PSG, and I doubt anyone would or could match it.

soul24rage

It is true that Messi was already longing to leave the club one year earlier. There was certainly beef between Messi and Bartomeu, so much so that he tried to force a free transfer from his childhood club (we formed him). That tension carried over into the Laporta era. So Catalina is right, it was not only about money. But it was still an important factor in his decision. I doubt any other club in the world would have paid him more than PSG. Only Bartomeu, perhaps. ��

Messi had most likely already held contract negotiations with PSG before it was even announced that he was leaving us. Hence why the signing was finalized so quickly. That also means that he always had a salary benchmark comparison during contract negotiations with us.

Also, I have to say that I see things a bit differently when it comes to this whole idea that no one could possibly have asked Messi to play for free. If anyone could have done so, it is us! The way I see it, He would have earned a billion (insert his total earnings) over a 22 year period instead of a 21 year period, in order to help his club out during difficult times. It seldom gets mentioned how Messi benefitted from playing at Barcelona. Truth is, both benefitted tremendously from one another during a 21 year period. Match made in Heaven! That should command respect and gratitude from both parties.

Finally, some say that we never asked him to play for free. Did Messi offer us to play for free? When we want something, we find a solution. But yes, there is more to it than money, as Catalina pointed out. But he is making fat stacks at PSG, and I doubt anyone would or could match it.

It doesn't matter if Messi even offered to play for free.

Even without Messi's wages, the wage bill is still over the recommended figure set by La Liga.

Messigician

Even without Messi's wages, the wage bill is still over the recommended figure set by La Liga.

No

Bartomeu literally had a plan to keep Messi on his current wages

Barca studios would have been sold with a buy back clause and the CVC deal would be signed

That's that

Grow up Laporta

PSG signed CVC it isn't that bad

delancey

I mean , other than Messi , Laporta , and pretty much all the newspapers saying so at that moment , no.

That was one of the reasons but not the only one or the main one.
I think it was an important one, but you are right, not the only one. I take that part back.

delancey

We signed several players during the same period. Depay, Aguero! Messi could have stayed for an extra year earning similar wages as those two players.

soul24rage

We signed several players during the same period. Depay, Aguero! Messi could have stayed for an extra year earning similar wages as those two players.

I don't think so.

IIRC, We had to go through numerous steps to even register Aguero in the last day such as the reduction of wage bill of Alba and Busi

We also had to send the likes of Griezmann and Pjanic to other clubs in the last day.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
I don't think so.

IIRC, We had to go through numerous steps to even register Aguero in the last day such as the reduction of wage bill of Alba and Busi

We also had to send the likes of Griezmann and Pjanic to other clubs in the last day.

I believe Aguero and Memphis were both registered late August after slashing salaries across the team

Memphis registered 14th August and Aguero on the last day of the transfer window after wheeling and dealing some

JamDav1982

Aguero was a ludicrous signing.

His knees were done and he was only signed to try and keep Messi happy as at that point Barca thought league wouldnt dare let Messi leave and would relax the rules.

delancey

I don't think so.

I think a solution would have been found had the desire by club and player to continue the relationship been strong enough.

delancey

Wurst k?se scenario, Messi would have earned a billion over 22 years instead of 21, had he really wanted to stay. That would bypass FFP regulations.

Last edited:

delancey

IIRC he had agreed to lower his salary by 50%, but I do not know if that was even ever verified. We could not compete with PSG.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans