Lionel "The Greatest of All Time" Messi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horatio

You're welcome
Surprised you guys haven't posted the incident with Antonella on red carpet that went viral(in South America?). You guys trailing.

Valdario

Nice fairy tale for the na?ve of this world.

Messi was from meh to bad most of 2021, with the only exception a 4 month spell at Barca, when the whole team was clicking.

You can't change that by using the word 'dragging' in every 2nd sentence of yours.
He was part of the problem at Barca, and he 'dragged' the rest as much as the rest were playing only for him and not to their potential.
A malfunctional team, because it was constructed as an 'one-man team' the last many years, with Messi enjoying - IF NOT imposing himself - that privilege, despite the constant humiliations induced on the pitch because of that.

The critique has nothing to do with 'being tired of one person winning', but everything to do with being fair, and it should be clear by now that this joke award has nothing to do with fairness, and everything to do with a popularity contest; which is what it has degenerated into
And MEssi, as CR as well, is undeniably the most popular footballer of the last 15 years.

And in fact, your thought experiment, above all, shows that 'you don't get it'.
Switch Lewa's and Messi's 2021, and Messi wins this not by 30somthing points, but by 100 or 200 points.
That's how much more popular he is, and that's how much objective criteria are always bent in his favor

No way would Messi win over Lewa if Lewa had around 30 goals in Bundesliga, won the German Cup and scored 2 goals in the final and won the EURO's as the outright top scorer, assister and MVP. Or if anyone did it in that kind of style. And people are always hit with recency bias, forgetting that Messi scored 2 goals in the final of the Copa del Rey, scoring a wondergoal. What did Lewandowski do in particular to deserve this award? You can't tell me scoring so many goals in a one-team driven league deserves a Ballon D'or. Especially since we're talking about Bayern who are 10 miles away in terms of quality from the second best team in that league. Tell me one good reason why Lewandowski deserves it over Messi for 2021.

Horatio

You're welcome
I don't get it. Didn't Toni Kroos say Lewandowski should've won?

But I saw a tweet of his saying "My choice would have been Benzema". I might remember incorrectly.

Windhook

The conversation is getting sillier by each day. Get over it, Messi won and no one is going to revoke his 7th Ballon d'Or. Unless he ***** someone, gets convicted or speak out against the ultrasensitive LGBTQ+ community a.k.a. cancel culture. Lewa will get his award for 2020, it's already in consideration. Mainly thanks to Messi's speech, who put pressure on France Football to do it, but some of you don't acknowledge that.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
The Benzema campaign is truly the most bizarre one.

Yeah he is doing great with Real Madrid, but wasn't even the top scorer in Spain last season or the best player. Messi and Suarez were better than him.

Didn't have a great EURO campaign together with all of the French NT and won nothing but a meme "tourney" in the Nations League.

How can you with a straight face argue that a player that wasn't even the best player in his own league deserves this when he doesn't even have an international trophy to show for?

Like I would have had no issues if Lewandowski won, but the Big Benz, Jorginho and Rapist's fanboys inserting themselves in this "BdO race" is just funny to me.

Last edited:

Valdario

I'm telling you, there is no way Lewandowski deserves the award over Messi considering he's playing as a poacher in a super team which dominates in a one team league. Messi is playing much deeper and maybe has a couple of less goals, but he leads in every other statistic you can think of. And I don't want even to begin with the quality of Messi's goals, since he's scored so many bangers this year whether from a free-kick or from outside the box.

DonAK

Reason why I thought he was in contention was how he performed in the big games in comparison to Messi who was no show in both games against Real and Atletico , not to mention that meh game he had in the semi-final and that disasterclass against Brazil.

Messi might have had the better stats but I still think Benz had the edge on him last season for the reason I mentioned above.

Except you don't only count a couple of big games.

Fati_Future_BallonDor

Yeah he is doing great with Real Madrid, but wasn't even the top scorer in Spain last season or the best player. Messi and Suarez were better than him.

Didn't have a great EURO campaign together with all of the French NT and won nothing but a meme "tourney" in the Nations League.

How can you with a straight face argue that a player that wasn't even the best player in his own league deserves this when he doesn't even have an international trophy to show for?

Like I would have had no issues if Lewandowski won, but the Big Benz, Jorginho and Rapist's fanboys inserting themselves in this "BdO race" is just funny to me.

benz was surely better than suarez

Morten

Suarez, better than Benzema last year, what?

Also, Benzema had a good tournament, even if the team as a whole did not.

Thats a problem i have when people talk about the ballon dor and individual prizes, the constant need people have to belittle the competition.

No, Benzema didnt deserve it, but there is no need to essentially call him a bum, you can do better.

DonAK

Suarez, better than Benzema last year, what?

Also, Benzema had a good tournament, even if the team as a whole did not.

Thats a problem i have when people talk about the ballon dor and individual prizes, the constant need people have to belittle the competition.

No, Benzema didnt deserve it, but there is no need to essentially call him a bum, you can do better.

Where did I call him for a bum?

He was the 3rd best player in La Liga last season and had a trophyless season. He wasn't good in the EURO apart from one game.

Where am I wrong?

I have rated him highly for years.

Morten

Where did I call him for a bum?

He was the 3rd best player in La Liga last season and had a trophyless season.

Where am I wrong?

Suarez was not a better player than Benzema last season, you are confusing trophies with individual performances.

You also said he basically did nothing with France, so yeah, you are very much talking down his achievements when there is no need for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans