Status
Not open for further replies.

SmilerBam

E8mfO17XsAcxql3

Crazy!

This is the End of the World.

bismp

This is wrong on so many ways.

Laporta DEFINITELY knew that something was up. He lied to everyone for months straight. I don't know if Messi and his family genuinely believed the whole thing, maybe they knew all along and silently agreed(not that this lessens Leo's feeling for the club and the city).

That said, Laporta USED the whole saga to get elected. One of his major arguments against Bartomeu was how he would treat and re-sign Messi, the best player of our history.

In the end, everything ended so abruptly, as if Leo was a nobody.

I am sure that if both parties wanted this to happen, there HAD to be a way. For example, WHY add Depay etc when you know it is going to cause problems with Leo's contract? Why waste all these months just to "suddenly" realize it is not possible?

Unfortunately, I believe that Leo wanted to leave all along. Which would be dishonest on his part. Maybe he did not want to openly admit wanting to leave after many quotes about loyalty etc. Not that anyone can blame him for that. Besides,many people wanted him gone...

Givenchy

This is wrong on so many ways.

Laporta DEFINITELY knew that something was up. He lied to everyone for months straight. I don't know if Messi and his family genuinely believed the whole thing, maybe they knew all along and silently agreed(not that this lessens Leo's feeling for the club and the city).

That said, Laporta USED the whole saga to get elected. One of his major arguments against Bartomeu was how he would treat and re-sign Messi, the best player of our history.

In the end, everything ended so abruptly, as if Leo was a nobody.

I am sure that if both parties wanted this to happen, there HAD to be a way. For example, WHY add Depay etc when you know it is going to cause problems with Leo's contract? Why waste all these months just to "suddenly" realize it is not possible?

Unfortunately, I believe that Leo wanted to leave all along. Which would be dishonest on his part. Maybe he did not want to openly admit wanting to leave after many quotes about loyalty etc. Not that anyone can blame him for that. Besides,many people wanted him gone...

It does make one wonder.. what exactly changed from last summer to this summer? we failed in the league, failed in the CL and have no money to give him a 'sporting project' / competitive team, maybe the Copa (america) win made him indifferent about leaving as he sees his career more complete but I doubt he'll regret this move and I can't blame him

fergus90

I'm not sure, I think if he wanted to leave he would have said. He was very open about it last year and this time around he had well over a month after the Copa America to announce anything.

I truly think Laporta returning made him sure he wanted to stay for at least two more years, but obviously it didn't turn out as expected.

bismp

It does make one wonder.. what exactly changed from last summer to this summer? we failed in the league, failed in the CL and have no money to give him a 'sporting project' / competitive team, maybe the Copa (america) win made him indifferent about leaving as he sees his career more complete but I doubt he'll regret this move and I can't blame him

His form in 2021 and the capture of the elusive Copa America proved that Leo may be in decline, but still he is a top 3 player at least. I think that he is fed up at being a Barca player. Why waste his last 1-2-3 good years with a squad that can barely compete in La Liga and is toothless in CL? I mean we choked hard last year and Atletico and Real will only get better, while we can't even register our own players.

On the other hand, Barca could never move on with Messi on the squad. Thus we would continue being mediocre until the old guard left and started the rebuild. Now things are theoretically more hopeful, but with the club's debt, I am doubtful...

All in all, I think that whether planned or an accident, Leo's departure benefits everyone. That said, the way he left, was disgraceful.

fergus90

His form in 2021 and the capture of the elusive Copa America proved that Leo may be in decline, but still he is a top 3 player at least. I think that he is fed up at being a Barca player. Why waste his last 1-2-3 good years with a squad that can barely compete in La Liga and is toothless in CL? I mean we choked hard last year and Atletico and Real will only get better, while we can't even register our own players.

On the other hand, Barca could never move on with Messi on the squad. Thus we would continue being mediocre until the old guard left and started the rebuild. Now things are theoretically more hopeful, but with the club's debt, I am doubtful...

All in all, I think that whether planned or an accident, Leo's departure benefits everyone. That said, the way he left, was disgraceful.

This is my over-riding feeling about it all. In a way I'm intrigued to see what a Messi-free Barca will do but on the other hand, I will never get over the fact he left with a goodbye in a room of about 40 people and not 99,500 fans at the Camp Nou chanting his name and celebrating his genius.

bismp

This is my over-riding feeling about it all. In a way I'm intrigued to see what a Messi-free Barca will do but on the other hand, I will never get over the fact he left with a goodbye in a room of about 40 people and not 99,500 fans at the Camp Nou chanting his name and celebrating his genius.

Completely agree.

On the other hand,some things are unfortunately out of the Leo’s and the board’s control.

Obviously, COVID is the biggest reason and no one can do anything about it.

Furthermore, the overall performances and mood of the club definitely affect the legends’ departure.

See for example Puyol vs Xavi.

Puyol left injured and unable to play, silently during an underwhelming season with many scandals and sad moments. So, it was not easy to set up a proper goodbye.

On the other hand, Xavi was deservedly treated like a king during the treble season.

What I mean is that if for example Leo and the board announced mid season that he would leave, sure there would be a big send off, but everyone would have a sour taste in their mouth.

And as I said,COVID makes almost everything impossible…

That said,almost anything would be way better than what we eventually got…

Rassvet

Jorginho and Kante won a trophy yesterday and now Lewy can start his statpadding tomorrow. Leo needs to hit the ground running soon to wrap 7 up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans