What do we do if Messi doesn't renew?

khaled_a_d

Even if he agreed to play for free, he would still not be able to be registered as of now.

If he agreed to play for free, all our signings can be officially registered the next day.
You keep forgetting the 1:4 that Tebas mentioned.
We can go over the cap, but only if we sign players who cost quarter of those who left

Porque

If he played for free Tebas would have a heart attack with his final words being "nooooo, it's a manipulation of the ruuules... Argh... Halal Madr..." And dead.

serghei

Real Madrid have always been among the top money makers in European Football while with Barca it truly kickstarted with Ronaldinho and then later Messi.

They do seem to have way more competent people negotiating new deals for them too that might not have re-neg clauses depending on a single player while we possibly signed onto such deals while we thought Messi would be here forever and retire here too.

Anyway, all speculation right now, but if it is true that Nike, Rakuten and our other sponsors have re-neg or exit clauses depending on Messi being a Barcelona player that obviously makes him an even bigger priority for the club to retain.

I wouldn't put it past the last board to agree to something as stupid as that.

If Barca and Madrid are successful they will make a lot of money with or without Ronaldo/Messi. Madrid made more because they were more successful in the early 00's than Barca with their galactico era.

Barca started to climb up a lot pre-Messi, proving this isn't about Messi, but about having stars and being successful in general. So, we'll be fine post-Messi money wise as long as we build a very competitive team. New idols will be born from those teams.

Last edited:

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
What concerns me is that we don’t seem (or did, at least under Rosell and Bartomeu) to have the business shrewdness and abilities to exploit the power of the brand we have and Messi. Even with Messi, we didn’t outperform other clubs that much in terms of attracting sponsorships and increasing commercial revenue, which makes me question if we can recover and continue to grow without a hitch after Messi is gone.

wisconsincule

If he stays or leaves we are not going to win much the next couple years. Might as well keep him so he can retire as a one club man at Barcelona.

I wanted him to leave but now it’s whatever. We are in a shit spot either way. No money for a rebuild so it is what it is.

serghei

If he stays or leaves we are not going to win much the next couple years. Might as well keep him so he can retire as a one club man at Barcelona.

I wanted him to leave but now it’s whatever. We are in a shit spot either way. No money for a rebuild so it is what it is.

You never know tbh, Chelsea wasn't expecting to win the CL anytime soon looking at how crap they were until the last 4-5 months, playing in Europa League and so on.

And even if we're not good enough for CL, we're more than good enough to win the title in Spain next season.

wisconsincule

You never know tbh, Chelsea wasn't expecting to win the CL anytime soon looking at how crap they were until the last 4-5 months, playing in Europa League and so on.

And even if we're not good enough for CL, we're more than good enough to win the title in Spain next season.

Very true. Thankfully Real and Atleti have dropped in quality as well.

I just don’t trust our defense. Maybe Emerson and Garcia can help out there but I am not holding my breath.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
If Barca and Madrid are successful they will make a lot of money with or without Ronaldo/Messi. Madrid made more because they were more successful in the early 00's than Barca with their galactico era.

Barca started to climb up a lot pre-Messi, proving this isn't about Messi, but about having stars and being successful in general. So, we'll be fine post-Messi money wise as long as we build a very competitive team. New idols will be born from those teams.

For that you need new stars.

Not only stars, but superstars.

serghei

For that you need new stars.

Not only stars, but superstars.

New stars sure, but not necessarily galactico buys. If anything, our star signings have flopped and it's the low-money buys like Pedri and Fati who might as well turn out to be the future superstars.

The aim has to be to build a top side, everything stems from that. Bartomeu approached it in a very stupid, marketing-oriented way and he fucked it up. Going after popular hyped-up types in a very poor recreation of Madrid galactico policy.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans