What do we do if Messi doesn't renew?

BBZ8800

No offense, but I want him leave.

This is how I see our current situation:
1) if Messi stays + we sign Aguero, Depay = we won't win anything
2) if Messi stays + we don't sign anyone = we won't win anything
3) if Messi leaves + we sign Aguero, Depay = we won't win anything
4) if Messi leaves + we don't sign anyone = we won't win anything
5) if Messi leaves + we don't sign anyone + we sell Cou & Dembele = we won't win anything

1. even if Messi stays, he will be older and less good than in the last season
2. Koeman is still a coach, who hasn't won a single match against big teams last season
3. Busi, Pique, Alba and a lot of players are even older than before
4. Aguero and Depay don't look like players who will strengthen the team, they'll just add some depth to a decling, dying team who either way can't win anything

So, if Messi stays, we will just get one more year of watching him in our shirt and one more year of individual records.
Team wise, we won't get anything and rebuilding wise and moving on away from Messi wise, we won't get anything.

Fati_Future_BallonDor

No offense, but I want him leave.

This is how I see our current situation:
1) if Messi stays + we sign Aguero, Depay = we won't win anything
2) if Messi stays + we don't sign anyone = we won't win anything
3) if Messi leaves + we sign Aguero, Depay = we won't win anything
4) if Messi leaves + we don't sign anyone = we won't win anything
5) if Messi leaves + we don't sign anyone + we sell Cou & Dembele = we won't win anything

1. even if Messi stays, he will be older and less good than in the last season
2. Koeman is still a coach, who hasn't won a single match against big teams last season
3. Busi, Pique, Alba and a lot of players are even older than before
4. Aguero and Depay don't look like players who will strengthen the team, they'll just add some depth to a decling, dying team who either way can't win anything

So, if Messi stays, we will just get one more year of watching him in our shirt and one more year of individual records.
Team wise, we won't get anything and rebuilding wise and moving on away from Messi wise, we won't get anything.

I think Messi, Fati, Depay should be enough for winning copa and la liga title.

BBZ8800

Considering our competition, we have a fair chance

Check the longterm trends of our team in terms of points won and goals scored.
Trend is downward in both cases.

Number of points won in La liga from 2015 to 2021:
94, 91, 90, 93, 87, 82, 79

Number of goals scored in La liga from 2015 to 2021:
110, 112, 116, 99, 90, 86, 85

In terms of points, we are winning 10-15 points less than 5-6 years ago.
In terms of goals scored, we are scoring 25-30 goals less than 5-6 years ago.

Since both trends are going downwards and since probably key factors in our team's strength are:
Age of Messi
Age of Xavi
Age of Iniesta
Quality of other players
Quality of a coach

Xavi is gone, Iniesta is gone.
Messi is older than ever and he will be even more physically drained due to Copa America (and mentally if they lose again).
The rest of our team, imo, is worse than ever in the last 6 years.
A coach can't win against any bigger team.

The only good thing is that RM and Atletico are also meh.

So, our only chance is if all teams will have 75-82 points season.
Anything beyond 85 points is probably unreachable for this team of average players, led by the old Messi and led by Koeman.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Messi leaving is definitely not in the best interests of Barca.

A club that is somewhat desperately going to try to find new revenue streams and some cash in. No one are paying us to have their name linked with Griezmann.

Joan

Messi leaving is definitely not in the best interests of Barca.

A club that is somewhat desperately going to try to find new revenue streams and some cash in. No one are paying us to have their name linked with Griezmann.

Starting to have second thoughts about it. Sure, short term there's no better way for Barca. We can't be smart with no numbers and feedback from sponsors, but don't doubt the club has done its due diligence and opts to push so hard to renew him. Just wonder if the pressure from the fans and members has anything to do with it. But from what I'm seeing, we're basically giving Messi a 2-year contract spread over half a decade. That will be a huge burden for the club and might leave us in a similar (or worse) mess once Messi decides to leave and collect his hefty cheque on Miami Beach. Does the club actually earn that much to compensate for it? Seems unlikely to me.

Would be nice if there was a plan B for Barca, but it doesn't seem so.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans