2021 Preseason

SABANS

I agree he did. But we have to consider the context. Pre-seaon Girona. Even Roberto looked much better than usual.
I am not opposed to Pjanic staying though. He had a hair transplant so he might feel more comfortable coming season.

Of course, its pre season, Pjanic didnt play in Euro, sparing teams are not on Barcas level...Is Pjanic good for starting 11? No he is not...but he most certainly is for Bench and he is better than some players that Koeman keeps giving chance.

Bobo32

This was Pjanic game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smruFoAeT_0

So 1/5 throughballs succeeded, one bad pass in the middle of the pitch, 30 "layoffs" on one touch, and a couple of pretty nice passes.

Here is Puig vs Girona: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OD5kiHr-QlU
Not a great game, but those who understand see his class. The pass before 2-0 was very nice.

And here is Gavi vs Girona: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWUL2FwIQxo
Very nice 30m from Gavi

I can't find a video with Nico unfortunately. Yesterday, Frenkie looked like the best Barcelona midfielder I must say.

Here is Depays game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DF3vArBkAF4

mc_lovin

Not a great game, but those who understand see his class. The pass before 2-0 was very nice.

F*** off. This is the shit that makes you come across as arrogant, pretentious and unlikable. Really hard to read your posts (which is why I am skipping them usually, just like the ones from the other dude starting with B).

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
For some reason you are disliking Pjanic, and you are not being objective....he played better than Puig...and he played decent game...

His highlight was a fk that hit the bar, sitting deep and recycling possession against Girona who ultimately sat back to defend in numbers meant he was rarely pressured. In other words, little to do

ajnotkeith

Every goal and assist this preseason minus penalties has come from Barca B players, I'm pretty sure. 2/3 pens were won by B players too. Makes you think, is it better to play a hungry young player or guys who sit around collecting cheques?

For players like Pjanic or Frenkie it is not hard to recycle the ball and backpass against Girona, they are not of the same level as Girona. Which is why the fact the backline looked shaky with almost no pressure on them should be extremely alarming. Overall, not a great game, but okay

Bobo32

Yeah I think in the current situation, instead of bullying club legends to reduce their wage in half, the club should've wondered if someone like Manaj couldn't be a decent enough 6th option attacker instead of Aguero?

Aguero is certainly better technically and tactically, but physically and mentally I wonder if he even is the better option in 2021 - so how can it be justified to give him what 10 times the wage of what Manaj would've demanded? All the while asking other players to be charitable with perhaps their last professional contracts...

ajnotkeith

Yeah I think in the current situation, instead of bullying club legends to reduce their wage in half, the club should've wondered if someone like Manaj couldn't be a decent enough 6th option attacker instead of Aguero?

Aguero is certainly better technically and tactically, but physically and mentally I wonder if he even is the better option in 2021 - so how can it be justified to give him what 10 times the wage of what Manaj would've demanded? All the while asking other players to be charitable with perhaps their last professional contracts...

I would add that a lot of the time when strikers go up in level to play with talented teams their return often improves a lot as a result of better service. To play the midweek fixtures and Copa fixtures we did not need someone like Aguero. God forbid we are planning to start him as a 9, 34 with his injury records, I think we will have Depay there, but still he is not a pure 9.

Also can be seen in Koeman's protectiveness over Neto, when you have a young hungry keeper like Inaki Pena waiting in the wings you don't want to get Neto's 150k a week off the wage bill, collect a few million and then have a growing talent at Ter Stegen backup, who says no?

These players may not have a good reputation or be 100% Barca's level but when you are in our financial situation you should be pragmatic and look at what we already have, and if they have a bit of upside that's better. It's not like Braithwaite and co are either.

Messi983

Oh, they're back. It's the end of fun preseason games for me... :)

E7SY2elXIBUPQkp

ajnotkeith

Dest, Piqu?, Araujo, Pjanić, Riqui Puig, Sergi Roberto, Umtiti, Collado and Rey Manaj were brought back for an extra session at the Ciutat today

Porque

Interesting signs from Koeman. Nico, Gavi and Demir seem his fav of the youth players. Possibly Gavi has stolen the post of Ilaix and the unfavoured Puig.

Ilaix with one of the most stupid renewals I've seen in years. Completely lost a pre-season where he would have had 3 games as the starter. Would have probably started the seasoning n in midfield too with Pedri away and needing rest time.

Would have liked to see Balde start, but or is important to test Dest at LB against a stronger opponent.

Gari

E7o2lW7VgAYPfM4

Barcelona's bench: I?aki Pe?a, Arnau Tenas, Araujo, Busquets, Pjanic, Braithwaite, Riqui Puig, Umtiti, Collado, Comas, Balde, Mortimer and Rey Manaj

Last edited:

Bobo32

Yeah a bit of a statement from Koeman, playing Roberto as RB, but still not playing Puig in midfield. Also still playing Dest at LB and not Balde...
I still like this midfield, and will look forward to see Gavi and Nico. I think we'll see an improvement in the second half if Busi and Puig enter though... Collado maybe with one of his last chances to impress? Manaj?

Home of Barca Fans