2021 Preseason

Bobo32

Not as a starter, but we could keep as a sort of Chope-Moping.

Actually funny thing is that there was a Messi quote about him a few years back (it's easy to find). He said something to the effect that he thinks he is technically the best striker at the B team, that he is good but his age is going to work against him reaching the first team as he isn't young.

Then somehow this got translated into English and ended up being Messi saying that Rey Manaj was the best striker at Barcelona :lol:

Would be a lot better to use someone like him instead of buying someone like Braithwaite.
Sandro and Munir had this kind of role but they were pretty young, at least Munir (and some had very high hopes for him), Cuenca was about 20 too I think
Nolito the one example of an older Barcelona B player breaking through? He was offered an A contract but succeeded elsewhere instead.

Porque

Would be a lot better to use someone like him instead of buying someone like Braithwaite.
Sandro and Munir had this kind of role but they were pretty young, at least Munir (and some had very high hopes for him), Cuenca was about 20 too I think
Nolito the one example of an older Barcelona B player breaking through? He was offered an A contract but succeeded elsewhere instead.

Well, Braithwaite is better player but Manaj knows how to play in the box.

To be honest I don't want to take this out of context. I don't rate Manaj particularly highly but appreciate his improvement and the idea of having a 9 in the reclamatory when needed (5 subs) on those few occasions. Obviously wouldn't advocate him as a signing, but as he is here (well for some more days as someone pointed out his pending move) it is depth and a different profile.

Nolito is a good call. While he was at Barcelona B most said he was a one-trick pony and never good enough for Barcelona. Went on to have a good career with excellent peaks.

Bobo32

Well, Braithwaite is better player but Manaj knows how to play in the box.

To be honest I don't want to take this out of context. I don't rate Manaj particularly highly but appreciate his improvement and the idea of having a 9 in the reclamatory when needed (5 subs) on those few occasions. Obviously wouldn't advocate him as a signing, but as he is here (well for some more days as someone pointed out his pending move) it is depth and a different profile.

Nolito is a good call. While he was at Barcelona B most said he was a one-trick pony and never good enough for Barcelona. Went on to have a good career with excellent peaks.

Yeah well I agree, I don't think he's great, but I don't think Braithwaite is or that Nolito really was, either. You don't have to be great when you are the 20th player or so in the squad... Nolito tried to be great a bit too much for that Barcelona and he had a nice carreer elsewhere instead, good for him!

I just listened to a Balague interview with Pep from a couple of years ago that was given in some BBC football feed today for some reason. Interesting, and Balague said that one of many things Pep and Cruyff had in common was the intention not to go for a "plan B" when things went wrong, but rather to perfect the "plan A". Pep agreed with this, and said it would be strange to for instance keep a player that can head in crosses just for the few instances over the season when things don't go well, and people want the plan B of hoofing in crosses...
I like that intention, but think Barcelona is quite far from having a good plan A, and should focus everything on building on that...

But in general, they should let more players play a bit more in Barcelona A, especially wingers, and have a bit of a smaller squad. Mediocre players like Griezmann, Depay, Braithwaite etc give very little extra compared to what the Barcelona B players could do, and economically it's an extreme difference of course.

Messi983

He's leaving in a matter of days, signing for Famalicao in Portugal.

Just rumours, don't think a deal is close or he wouldn't play risking an injury. We shouldn't let him go there anyway, they only want him on a free loan with a buy option but I think we could get at least a few millions or otherwise keep him.

fergus90

What do you like about him?
I get that it's his first A game, and he is very young. I like his movement off the ball and his technique shines sometimes, but my god what a sidepass merchant he is this game!

For a lad of his age I was impressed with his ability to control the game, always available for a pass and moved it on well. Obviously got a long way to go, but seemed very intelligent for 16.

Messi983

Great news!

The Joan Gamper Trophy 2021, the 56th edition of the event, is going to be one with a very big difference. For the first time ever, it will be featuring not just the men’s team but the women too, with back-to-back games against the same side, none other than Juventus.

The Camp Nou will be the venue and the date is Sunday August 8. Jonatan Gir?ldez’s women’s team, the current European champions, will be kicking off at 6.00pm CEST, and Ronald Koeman’s men will be doing likewise at 9.30pm CEST.

Making the day even more special than ever, it will also mark the return of fans to the stadium, albeit only to 20% of capacity. That means for a maximum attendance of 19,869 people.

https://www.fcbarcelona.com/en/club/news/2195949/el-trofeu-joan-gamper-sera-contra-la-juventus

FinBarcelonafan

Great news!

The Joan Gamper Trophy 2021, the 56th edition of the event, is going to be one with a very big difference. For the first time ever, it will be featuring not just the men?s team but the women too, with back-to-back games against the same side, none other than Juventus.

The Camp Nou will be the venue and the date is Sunday August 8. Jonatan Gir?ldez?s women?s team, the current European champions, will be kicking off at 6.00pm CEST, and Ronald Koeman?s men will be doing likewise at 9.30pm CEST.

Making the day even more special than ever, it will also mark the return of fans to the stadium, albeit only to 20% of capacity. That means for a maximum attendance of 19,869 people.

https://www.fcbarcelona.com/en/club/news/2195949/el-trofeu-joan-gamper-sera-contra-la-juventus

Wow this is amazing progress. I wish I could see it!

Home of Barca Fans