Degree of difficulty: La Liga, Champions League or Premiership.

fergus90

They are both difficult in their own way. The Champions League of course comes down to fine margins in decisive moments sometimes, and perhaps the strongest team on paper may not win because of one off-night.

That being said, to win a league you usually have to be lucky with injuries and suspensions too throughout a season. I undoubtedly think that winning the Champions League means more in Italy and Spain than it does in England. I don't necessarily think that's down to difficulty though, it's just the differences in culture. I think if you asked every team in England what trophy they want first and foremost, they would pick the league. Of course if you win it year after year, the victory gets less sweet and fans crave the trophy that's missing from the cabinet.

Although the CL is a cup, the winner still needs to navigate 13 games, so obviously it does take more than sheer luck to get the trophy. For me personally though, I tend to see the best team in Europe at that particular time, as the team that wins their domestic League and CL really.

I do think in the modern era though, too much rides on the CL for a season to be considered successful, even a domestic double seems to get swept under the carpet if the CL exit happens in an ugly manner.

Andresito

Staff member
The mid table Spanish sides are better than the top English sides, who are better than the top Spanish sides, who are better than the mid table Spanish sides.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

malvolio

Although the CL is a cup, the winner still needs to navigate 13 games, so obviously it does take more than sheer luck to get the trophy. For me personally though, I tend to see the best team in Europe at that particular time, as the team that wins their domestic League and CL really.

for the likes of chelsea, city, barcelona, real etc its actually 6 games to get to the final. groups are redundant.

also, much is being said about the teams outside top 4 or 6 in england being good, but that is not backed up by anything when it comes to european competitions. don't even know if everton or west ham give a fuck about europa league.

Last edited:

Sterlingfan2000

The quality between La Liga and the Premier League is pretty even throughout, just that right now the top teams in England are better than the top teams in Spain. I don't think the teams outside the 4 or 5 in England are better than those in Spain, if anything I would give the slight advantage to La Liga.

Hell no , the top difference is in the middle and bottom. Aston Villa and Everton are spending 100M each season. Even Bayern is spending that much .

Aston Villa Just beat Chelsea and Chelsea made Atletico and Real look like Huesca

ebc_99

Hell no , the top difference is in the middle and bottom. Aston Villa and Everton are spending 100M each season. Even Bayern is spending that much .

Aston Villa Just beat Chelsea and Chelsea made Atletico and Real look like Huesca

Who cares how much money Everton & Villa Spend, spending money doesn't make you a good team if you are wasting it, look at Barca, the more money we spend the worse we get. Spanish clubs don't have the money but they are far more resourceful. I would say the likes of Celta Vigo, Athletic Club & Granada are better than Everton, Villa & Newcastle.

So what if Villa beat Chelsea, Granada beat Barca, that's what happens in league football, it doesn't prove anything about the strength of the league.

Bobo32

Cruyff said: I never saw a bag of gold score a goal

But with time the extreme economic difference will make a difference, and England are much closer or even moving ahead lately, not least because of all the coaches from abroad, I reckon.

stb_1

Premier League vs CL
Man City - Man City
Chelsea - Chelsea
Man United - Man United
Liverpool - Liverpool
Leicester - Bayern
Spurs - Real
West Ham - Barca
Arsenal - PSG
Leeds - Dortmund
Everton - Atletico
Villa - Leipzig

... Think it's obvious that the CL is better

Wait until Newcastle get Saudi owners though, and a few other PL teams start financially doping.

Morten

Sure, luck plays more of a part in cups than in the league, but the statistics are clear, CL is the most difficult to win, by some distance.

Mateka

Sure, luck plays more of a part in cups than in the league, but the statistics are clear, CL is the most difficult to win, by some distance.

Paul Merson ‘Of course, the Premier League is bigger than the Champions League. Much bigger! I'd rather win the Premier League, every day of the week. In the group stage you only have to win three games and draw one.

"Real Madrid? They're not the team they used to be. As a professional footballer, over the grind of a season, for me winning the league over a 38-game season is the ultimate.

You can lose around a third of your games in the Champions League and still win it." 3/3/20 SKY

Mateka

Premier League vs CL
Man City - Man City
Chelsea - Chelsea
Man United - Man United
Liverpool - Liverpool
Leicester - Bayern
Spurs - Real
West Ham - Barca
Arsenal - PSG
Leeds - Dortmund
Everton - Atletico
Villa - Leipzig

... Think it's obvious that the CL is better

Wait until Newcastle get Saudi owners though, and a few other PL teams start financially doping.

But you play every EPL team twice, without exception. You do not play every team you have listed twice.

Home of Barca Fans