User Tag List

Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Assessing 20/21 season

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Birdy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,462
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Assessing 20/21 season

    I am starting a new thread so as to not let info get lost within parallel discussions and many irrelevant pages of other threads.

    The aim is to assess this past season with the aid of stats. And when I say stats, I mean the last gen, cutting edge, sophisticated stats.
    I will be posting new things (charts, pies, etc) as they get posted on the usual places I visit.
    This is a good time as many analysts post season reviews etc.

    Let's start with some first pieces posted by StatsBomb (top when it comes to football analytics):

    1) xG/shot made or conceded:
    Higher xG/shot means taking a shot from a good scoring position, lower means taking a shot from a not so good scoring position.



    So Barca takes the most shots from good scoring positions (no surprise as we are far from all others in xG created this season)



    Here you clearly see the problem:
    Barca bottom 3 in xG/shot conceded, meaning that when the opponent takes a shot it's very frequently a clear-cut chance (from the counters we concede or individual mistakes we make)
    Note that Atleti, RM, and Sevilla are top-4 on the category

    2) Set piece goals and XG




    So, here another problem is seen.
    Although we are 3rd in xG created from set-pieces, we are 9th in goals from set pieces, contrary to RM and Atleti.
    We cannot convert our set-piece chances


    (to be continued...)
    1992

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    JohnN's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    2,100
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't won't to spoil the fun or anything and this is a legitimate question.
    Is there any stat / metric that presents goals conceded by purely individual mistakes. most goals are due to mistakes so this is a hard ask, but I am talking about pure, extravaganzaly bad individual mistakes and not suspect positioning or not so good clearance.
    That stat would have us top of the charts by a mile.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Interlop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    713
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It’s clear that one of the most important things Koeman or the next manager has to do is to improve our defense.

  4. #4
    Valverde Cultist
    Messigician's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    8,828
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was shit

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    FinBarcelonafan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Turku
    Posts
    14,178
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow man it's pretty obvious our defense sucks. Kills us versus any good team.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    malvolio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Bucharest, Romania
    Posts
    4,025
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Country: Romania
    Defense won't improve with the same personnel. Koeman can only help them trough tactics, but otherwise he can't do much. And he is not the type of manager to improve or teach players in their mid twenties or thirties new skills.
    Pep or Bielsa can do that.

  7. #7
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    26,999
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Defence is not great and Busquets on front of them is as bad a DM defensively as will see in a top team.

    If Pique and Busquets are still getting skinned on the break nothing will change.

    A leader type in beside Araujo and if Emerson can provide some of the pace and power that is needed defence can improve.

    FDJ and Wijnaldum can improve midfield defensively also.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    FinBarcelonafan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Turku
    Posts
    14,178
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JamDav1982 View Post
    Defence is not great and Busquets on front of them is as bad a DM defensively as will see in a top team.

    If Pique and Busquets are still getting skinned on the break nothing will change.

    A leader type in beside Araujo and if Emerson can provide some of the pace and power that is needed defence can improve.

    FDJ and Wijnaldum can improve midfield defensively also.
    True.. Barca still haven't figured out that if you play high line you better have quick defensemen

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Birdy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,462
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnN View Post
    I don't won't to spoil the fun or anything and this is a legitimate question.
    Is there any stat / metric that presents goals conceded by purely individual mistakes. most goals are due to mistakes so this is a hard ask, but I am talking about pure, extravaganzaly bad individual mistakes and not suspect positioning or not so good clearance.
    That stat would have us top of the charts by a mile.
    Not that I know of as of now.
    I don't exclude the possibility of that stat appearing in the near future
    1992

  10. #10
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    26,999
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    xG is massively flawed and top clubs dont use it or put much relevance at all to using it in analytics.

    A shot from 40yds is logged as closer to a goal than a chance missed by an inch from a yard out.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Birdy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,462
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No it isn't and top clubs do the contrary of what you write.

    But if you want to believe that, fine no problem
    1992

  12. #12
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    26,999
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Birdy View Post
    No it isn't and top clubs do the contrary of what you write.

    But if you want to believe that, fine no problem
    I know they dont and it is massively flawed as I said.. one shot from 40 yds is logged as closer to a goal than and air swipe at an open goal from a yard.

    To point clubs have told players/staff to ignore it and it not to be discussed in the clubs as misleading and wont help solve anything.

    You using xG earlier in season to try and show Braithwaite was best finisher at club as example of how flawed it is.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Birdy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,462
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JamDav1982 View Post
    I know they dont and it is massively flawed as I said.. one shot from 40 yds is logged as closer to a goal than and air swipe at an open goal from a yard.

    To point clubs have told players/staff to ignore it and it not to be discussed in the clubs as misleading and wont help solve anything.

    You using xG earlier in season to try and show Braithwaite was best finisher at club as example of how flawed it is.
    You don't know shit, and you are exposing your ignorance...

    You are just on your thing again, trying to pass off your idiosyncratic views on things as 'objective'
    Not in the mood to take you seriously
    1992

  14. #14
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    26,999
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Birdy View Post
    You don't know shit, and you are exposing your ignorance...

    You are just on your thing again, trying to pass off your idiosyncratic views on things as 'objective'
    Not in the mood to take you seriously
    You are in love with a stats you think is relevant in ways it isnt and top clubs dont use it and I know for fact last season one club was actively telling their players/staff to ignore it when being brought up by press etc and if being discussed internally

    There is one numpty ignorant and backing wrong horse and not me.

    Go study it and come up with 'Braithwaite is best finisher at club' again. That was a topper.
    Last edited by JamDav1982; 28th May 2021 at 12:25 AM.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    jairzinho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    América do Sul
    Posts
    4,062
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Interlop View Post
    It’s clear that one of the most important things Koeman or the next manager has to do is to improve our defense.

    Quote Originally Posted by malvolio View Post
    Defense won't improve with the same personnel. Koeman can only help them trough tactics, but otherwise he can't do much. And he is not the type of manager to improve or teach players in their mid twenties or thirties new skills.
    Pep or Bielsa can do that.

    Only so much you can do with this current bunch. Its true a coach like Allegri can come in and make us more organized but you can't do much with Lenglet, Umtiti, Bob etc. You can't make Busi, Pique faster either.
    I always tell my guys that our playing style is about movement” - Marcelo Bielsa.