Euro 2020 (2021)

Messi983

Then I'm guessing this one is fake?

9x544f0f1ta71.jpg

Yeah, I've seen that one too yesterday. Was probably made up by some Penaldo fan. :crbust:

Blaugrana Bull

HiiiPoWeR
He said he just picked the players that took the best penalties in training.

No matter what Southgate said in the press conference it is a fact that the English staff base many decisions on their analytics.
There is also a statistic that players who take their time and pick their own moment to shoot after the whistle instead of immediately running up to the ball score more often than the ones shooting immediately after the whistle. And you could see that the English players trained that too and were told to do so.
Southgate and his staff did not just let them take some penalties in training and based their decisions on that.

Bobo32

Taking your time should be more causative than correlative - I doubt it is beneficial in itself and could even increase the nervousness if you force it. But I read that they did indeed talk a lot about "owning the moment" etc.

There are statistics available for anything you want to look at, and if simple "time taken after the whistle" was something they found significance in and that made them change their approach, it's a bit laughable.
They obviously didn't look at skin colour of the taker...

Mateka

At the end of full time the teams were equal. Italy and England the last 2 standing. Both had come a long way from where they were a few years earlier. Arguably, Italy a team at their peak, England one of youth maturing.
England were favoured playing at home. Italy on balance, deserved the win.
But all pretenders to the crown had been sent home.
After extra time, these two teams could not be separated.
A new tournament commenced, one of taking penalties. Italy won by one. Donna. a hero for saving 3, yet Pickford saved 2.
Italy deserved the title. But England while you were in the final, the also rans, had packed their bags, and were not in sight.

Birdy

Where is [MENTION=4451]Birdy[/MENTION] ? The forum data priest. This is why you can't always rely on analytics. That dumbass Packers coach did the same and screwed over Rodgers.

That analytics is behind tactics is the stupidest thing I have ever read, and whoever wrote this does not understand what analytics is.

Analytics are tools, not a philosophy.
As tools they can add the necessary nuance and sophistication in an already decided approach/philosophy.
But they can't invent a philosophy for someone who does not have.

And oc Southgate had a philosophy, in line with pretty cagey and boring football: not to ever concede.
In that respect, he did fine. His football was crap, though, and wasted the talent of many of his footballers

Gnidrologist

Southgate's decisions are based on analytics. His tactics are and his choices for the penalty shootout were too.
According to statistics players who are 23 years or younger score more often than older players and players who do not have to play all 120 mins score more often.

I think his decisions were stupid and invited failure.
That must be the dumbest things i ever read about football (not your post describing it, obviously).
Sure there could be other reasons for such decision. Such as politics (we're talking about kneelers) our Southgate simply being daft (most believable).

Gnidrologist

Why even? All the media is owned by 4-5 big corps that in turn are owned by the same small group of ultra rich oligarchs that all attend the same coven and has the same intentions on how to handle peasants. Forget about "free press" meme. It's current year.

Home of Barca Fans