Should Barca hire Xavi as their next manager?

Should Barca hire Xavi to succeed Koeman?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Birdy

He was assistant coach of German national team for 8 years, including their biggest successes.
He had huge input in their tactics, and that was known, that's why Bayern hired him.

Nothing like Xavi.

And in general, this is not a time for bets for Barca.
It's a time to go with a proven WC or close to that level coach

serghei

Flick was unproven when he got the Bayern job :shrug:.

Yea, and now he's supposedly a top manager. :lol:

He was assistant coach of German national team for 8 years, including their biggest successes.
He had huge input in their tactics, and that was known, that's why Bayern hired him.

Nothing like Xavi.

Spin it however you want, Flick was a bet by Bayern. Like Xavi would be for us. Now when someone is an assistant manager this is supposed to be some great credential? :lol:

And how do you know how "huge" of an impact he had on tactics. The one calling all the shots, in the end, is the senior manager. So eager to big up Flick who was an assistant manager for Germany, but yet Xavi gets no point for being possibly the greatest central midfielder of all time, the most tactically complex position in football.

Last edited:

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona

Nothing like Xavi.

Bayern hired him because they fired Niko Kovac and couldn't bring in someone else at that time. He was named only interim coach at first, but got the job full-time when Bayern started clicking under him.

Being an assistant coach for Germany doesn't mean he was an established, experienced top class coach.

I'm not even disagreeing with you that Barca should hire a top class coach, but Flick wasn't one when Bayern hired him. Judging by your standards he wouldn't be hired.

malvolio

Again with the Bumsi Flick wankfest?! Seems like even the cleaning ladies at Bayern stadium are revered and look at as world class on this forum.

serghei

Bayern hired him because they fired Niko Kovac and couldn't bring in someone else at that time. He was named only interim coach at first, but got the job full-time when Bayern started clicking under him.

Being an assistant coach for Germany doesn't mean he was an established, experienced top class coach.

I'm not even disagreeing with you that Barca should hire a top class coach, but Flick wasn't one when Bayern hired him. Judging by your standards he wouldn't be hired.

Most of the very big-name managers in the last 15-20 years had breakout seasons after being largely unproven or with no experience at prior good teams before getting a big job. Mourinho at Porto, Guardiola at Barcelona, Zidane at Madrid, Klopp at Dortmund. Probably others too.

DonAK

Most of the very big-name managers in the last 15-20 years had breakout seasons after being largely unproven or with no experience at prior good teams before getting a big job. Mourinho at Porto, Guardiola at Barcelona, Zidane at Madrid, Klopp at Dortmund. Probably others too.

Yeah.

Evaluating how good someone can be as a coach is tough anyway. Arteta and Domenec Torrent, two of Pep's former assistants look pretty bad right now.

Ideally you want someone with experience, but unless we're hiring Pep, Klopp, Tuchel, Conte or maybe even Pochettino there's no guarantee that guy will work.

We're taking a gamble regardless.

serghei

Yeah.

Evaluating how good someone can be as a coach is tough anyway. Arteta and Domenec Torrent, two of Pep's former assistants look pretty bad right now.

Ideally you want someone with experience, but unless we're hiring Pep, Klopp, Tuchel, Conte or maybe even Pochettino there's no guarantee that guy will work.

We're taking a gamble regardless.

Even there in your list, the only real guarantees of success are Pep and Klopp. Tuchel is good, but not really a guarantee, and Conte and Pochettino are misfits in terms of style that would probably fail at Barca IMO.

Jadentheman

I will say Barca is one of the only bigger clubs that get lower rated coaches an let them prove themselves on the big stage. Rijkaard, Pep, Lucho... they all had success with good future job prospects due to Barcelona. My only concern with Xavi coming is the fact all of his pal haven't left yet. I be fine if they offload Alba, Busquets, Messi, and Pique. Xavi deserves a clean slate with players he personally haven't dealt with.

malvolio

Even Niko Kovac turned it around and might finish in a CL place or/and French Cup winner with Monaco. We could see him in a big job again in a year or two.

serghei

I will say Barca is one of the only bigger clubs that get lower rated coaches an let them prove themselves on the big stage. Rijkaard, Pep, Lucho... they all had success with good future job prospects due to Barcelona. My only concern with Xavi coming is the fact all of his pal haven't left yet. I be fine if they offload Alba, Busquets, Messi, and Pique. Xavi deserves a clean slate with players he personally haven't dealt with.

Nearly all German clubs do it. Tuchel, Klopp both were nobodies on the big stage prior to Dortmund. Nagelsmann was nonexistent prior to Leipzig. So, the german clubs except for Bayern don't really hire big names, but look to bring in talented guys who can become great. Even Bayern are known to make bets with new-wave managers (see Kovac, Flick).

Dortmund now hired Marco Rose. Could be the next interesting German manager to have soon make his debut on the big stage.

DonAK

I'm not saying it's Xavi or bust for me, but you cannot convince me that someone like Erik ten Hag is a top coach and is a better option, and I say that as the driver of the EtH hype train a couple of years ago.

Dream scenario would be Pep somehow coming back. Even if we have to keep Koeman for another year.

serghei

Don't get me started with Pep. What the fuck is he waiting for? Laporta is back at the helm, the guy that was his closest ally. These two should talk and strike a deal for Guardiola to return as manager for a rebuild.

I'd even keep Keoman for 2 seasons if Pep would come from 2023.

Messi983

Nearly all German clubs do it. Tuchel, Klopp both were nobodies on the big stage prior to Dortmund. Nagelsmann was nonexistent prior to Leipzig. So, the german clubs except for Bayern don't really hire big names, but look to bring in talented guys who can become great. Even Bayern are known to make bets with new-wave managers (see Kovac, Flick).

Dortmund now hired Marco Rose. Could be the next interesting German manager to have soon make his debut on the big stage.

Not really. He took over Hoffenheim as a 28 year old during the season when they were in relegation zone, saved them and then led them to the CL next season.

Home of Barca Fans