Should Barca hire Xavi as their next manager?

Should Barca hire Xavi to succeed Koeman?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Whatever the decision is, keeping Koeman or getting someone else (and who etc.) should be well thought out, thinking about our objectives and plans for the immediate future. No rush decisions.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Besides what if Koeman doesn't want to just be a transitional, lame-duck coach? What if he want to be at Barca for five years? That's obviously not going to happen. You cannot keep him for one more year and then tell him to take a hike.

Birdy

Besides what if Koeman doesn't want to just be a transitional, lame-duck coach? What if he want to be at Barca for five years? That's obviously not going to happen. You cannot keep him for one more year and then tell him to take a hike.

Nah.
He has a 2-yr contract.
He agreed to come under uncertain conditions, with elections looming, etc
He will take whatever they give him.

Givenchy

It depends on what people expect of next season. With the current squad we are getting nowhere in the CL and might be lucky to challenge for la liga if Madrid/Atleti improve with transfers.

Might as well keep Koeman, get rid of Busi and Pique. Messi should be allowed to leave. Bring in Depay and Wijnaldum as freebies, save money and use next season to gage which players are worthy of wearing the blaugrana colours.

Summer of 2022 we should move for De Ligt and Haaland as the marque signings. Xavi can then walk in with a clean slate

serghei

Keeping Koeman is lost time.

He probably has ambitions of winning titles quickly to keep his job, which is why he fell into the trap of playing experienced players once an opening for La Liga was looming. Which, poetically, brought his demise, on top of not using the squad well and playing nearly the same 11 every 3-4 days almost.

Ideally, we want the new manager to know he has the backing of Laporta to keep his job even if a bad season happens. Because he'll have to take firm decisions which at first will not impact the team in a good way, but with time, the performances will pick up.

I don't want us to get into a spiral of sacking managers after 1 year. Name someone you trust and are convinced by in the medium-long run and allow him to really get the project moving in the right direction.

Last edited:

khaled_a_d

He has one year left in contract anyway.
And we will try to win next season, that is why we are signing some veterans like Aguero/Depay to replace some of the out going.
The decision to move some veterans should start from the above IMO.
Tell Pique to move on, tell Busquets and Roberto it is their last season, and they are free to move on earlier, move the deadweight.
It is probably not going to be enough to win trophies, but at least move us on right direction even with him.

DonAK

He has one year left in contract anyway.
And we will try to win next season, that is why we are signing some veterans like Aguero/Depay to replace some of the out going.
The decision to move some veterans should start from the above IMO.
Tell Pique to move on, tell Busquets and Roberto it is their last season, and they are free to move on earlier, move the deadweight.
It is probably not going to be enough to win trophies, but at least move us on right direction even with him.

I know, but he might have anticipated an extension of some sort. We'll see I guess.

Sique Rodriguez reporting that Xavi isn't and never has been an option for Laporta as Laporta want a top coach to replace Koeman and doesn't see Xavi as one yet:

https://twitter.com/QueThiJugues/status/1394268868831551490

Bobo32

I know, but he might have anticipated an extension of some sort. We'll see I guess.

Sique Rodriguez reporting that Xavi isn't and never has been an option for Laporta as Laporta want a top coach to replace Koeman and doesn't see Xavi as one yet:

https://twitter.com/QueThiJugues/status/1394268868831551490

Laporta reportedly wanted top coaches in Scolari and Mourinho instead of Rijkaard and Guardiola...
I wonder where Barcelona had been today if he went with them then, and I wonder who is there to talk him straight this time...

DonAK

Laporta reportedly wanted top coaches in Scolari and Mourinho instead of Rijkaard and Guardiola...
I wonder where Barcelona had been today if he went with them then, and I wonder who is there to talk him straight this time...

Rosell wanted Scolari, not Laporta. Laporta kept Rijkaard when Rosell wanted to fire him and replace him with Scolari.

That said he reportedly leaned towards hiring Mourinho.

Bobo32

Rosell wanted Scolari, not Laporta. Laporta kept Rijkaard when Rosell wanted to fire him and replace him with Scolari.

That said he reportedly leaned towards hiring Mourinho.

Ok I was unsure about that one, that's nice at least.
Laporta is reported to have wanted to sack Rijkaard after the poor start though, but maybe Rosell was driving that too...

Birdy

:lol:

Top coach that plays a brand of football we like. He may want it, but the mission is impossible.

Let's not pretend.
There are many top coaches out there that play brand of football we like, who are proper and proven top coaches,
not just wannabe top coaches like Xavi.

FinBarcelonafan

We don't need a coach to turn this shitshow into a World Class team. We need a coach who is given the time to rebuild and mould the team into being a top team again. There's no point to keep Koeman around for another year only to start something we can start now.

Koeman is at best an option for another year. Why shouldn't we hire a new coach with 3-5 year plan in mind and let him finish what Koeman has started and then build the team in his own vision?

There's no good options available. Bayern paid Liepzig,20 mil for a coach. That's how desperate some teams are.

Home of Barca Fans