Should Koeman continue next season?

Should Koeman continue next season?

• Total voters

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
I'll also add:

He's done a good job playing some younger players like Araujo, Mingueza, Pedri, but can he develop and coach them into better players? Can Koeman commit to moving on from Pique, Busquets and others and be what LVG was for Barca and Bayern which in turn will help a new manager a lot.

I have doubts about that.

One thing I'm sure about is that we really need to hit on our next manager. We need some stability and ideally someone who can be here for at least 4-5 years.

To me this is more of a question for Laporta, Alemany and the new sporting director than for the manager, and it comes down to the question that Khaled asked earlier, what is our objective next season? If Laporta & Co. want trophies or continuity at all costs, especially if Messi stays, I have a feeling that they will not get rid of the oldies like Pique and Busquets and will continue to rely on them and play them to the ground, no matter who the new manager is. If Messi leaves for example and if Laporta & Co. believe this is truly the opportunity and window to rebuild for the future and forget about continuity and not worry about trophies for a season or even two, then there is a greater chances that we will finally move on from those players.

The choice of our manager next season depends on the vision of the club, really. My hunch is they will go for continuity, unfortunately.

Either way it will be tough. I don't see any potential candidate that will be here for 4-5 years, someone who will not only lead us through the rebuild period but also will bring success on the field. We might be able to get away with not having trophies for a couple of seasons, anything beyond that will probably not be tolerated.

Birdy

And it's useful here to remind ourselves that the objective of this season everyone had in mind last summer after the Bayern game was NOT winning LaLiga or CL, but managing a somewhat decent transition.
Something that Koeman has succeeded at least 80-90%.
Winning LaLiga and being competitive in CL suddenly became goals midway through the season, when the appetite of fans here and elsewhere grew.
And the appetite grew because the team improved massively from what it was in 2019-20.

Now, I say 80-90 % and not 100%, because Pique still plays, Busi is a regular, and Roberto appears in important games yet again.
That number will only reach 100% if Koeman fully imposes his authority over player power.
But, as I have said in previous posts, I don't think he can do that without the help of the board. Or, better, it's primarily the board's responsibility to do that, and secondarily Koeman's. Suarez would have never left if it weren't for the previous board to push him out.

IMO, the biggest responsibility lies with Laporta atm to realize that we need to put stronger emphasis on phasing out the old guard, than fantasize about Messi winning the CL again.
That's crucial for the future of the club

malvolio

And it's useful here to remind ourselves that the objective of this season everyone had in mind last summer after the Bayern game was NOT winning LaLiga or CL, but managing a somewhat decent transition.
Something that Koeman has succeeded at least 80-90%.
Winning LaLiga and being competitive in CL suddenly became goals midway through the season, when the appetite of fans here and elsewhere grew.
And the appetite grew because the team improved massively from what it was in 2019-20.

Now, I say 80-90 % and not 100%, because Pique still plays, Busi is a regular, and Roberto appears in important games yet again.
That number will only reach 100% if Koeman fully imposes his authority over player power.
But, as I have said in previous posts, I don't think he can do that without the help of the board. Or, better, it's primarily the board's responsibility to do that, and secondarily Koeman's. Suarez would have never left if it weren't for the previous board to push him out.

IMO, the biggest responsibility lies with Laporta atm to realize that we need to put stronger emphasis on phasing out the old guard, than fantasize about Messi winning the CL again.
That's crucial for the future of the club

Transition to what, mate? We are at the same stage as last season. No long term plan, no group of players that will be the backbone of the team, no idea on what tactics to use.

80-90% of what? Are we playing some fantastic attacking football?

Going by this season's 'achievements' we are even worse. Hardly won an important game all season and got trashed by the big boys left right and centre.

Birdy

Transition to what, mate? We are at the same stage as last season. No long term plan, no group of players that will be the backbone of the team, no idea on what tactics to use.

80-90% of what? Are we playing some fantastic attacking football?

Going by this season's 'achievements' we are even worse. Hardly won an important game all season and got trashed by the big boys left right and centre.

Transition to a new team obviously.
And that new team will not contain Pique, Busi, Alba, Roberto, and Messi eventually.

80-90 is my estimation for the reasons I explained.

Other than that, you are half-blind if you think we are at the same stage as last season.
We are in top4 in Europe in minutes given to the u-21 and u-25 players.
We have the best attacking output in Europe, only for our finishers to not be able to translate that into a record of goals scored.
We have managed for the first time to experiment with different formations.

On the 'important games', this is so short-sighted.
If we wanted just to win important games, then EV should have stayed for ever, getting better Classico records and letting Barca deteriorate all the more.

malvolio

Transition to a new team obviously.
And that new team will not contain Pique, Busi, Alba, Roberto, and Messi eventually.

80-90 is my estimation for the reasons I explained.

Other than that, you are half-blind if you think we are at the same stage as last season.
We are in top4 in Europe in minutes given to the u-21 and u-25 players.
We have the best attacking output in Europe, only for our finishers to not be able to translate that into a record of goals scored.
We have managed for the first time to experiment with different formations.

On the 'important games', this is so short-sighted.
If we wanted just to win important games, then EV should have stayed for ever, getting better Classico records and letting Barca deteriorate all the more.

So more bullshit without substance. We've given minutes to some youngsters because we had no other option. Doesn't mean anything when only 2 or 3 show promise of being starters here. Fati was already in and out of the team and Pedri had his first season here.
Best attacking output based on what? xG?

Guardiola experimented with other formations all the time. Difference between him and Koeman is that right now we still don't know what is our best formation. An idiot of a manager who fumbles with formations and still doesn't know what to do.

Yeah, we progressed all right

Altomonte

What Koeman has gotten wrong in addition to his poor substitutions during games is his neglect of basic physiological facts. When the team has to play 2 games per week for many weeks, the manager must extend the number of starters beyond the "gala 11". It is not surprising that Bar?a has done worse in the second half of recent games, and that injuries are mounting. Also, MAtS should not play every game, the second keeper should be used.

JohnN

Until bob was fit again everything was great. When he returned koeman kept giving him unjustified minutes.
Puig got benches to oblivion after good performances while pedri was played to the ground and as a result got shit in the most important part of the season.
We had a good couple of months where the team (Messi effect?) Rolled nicely and then back to shit.
I feel koemanball was getting pretty good at some point but 1) our squad limitations and 2) his atrocious in game management lead us to this.
All in all, I wouldn't just throw him under the bus for any random guy. If there is someone the board considers promising and plans on building a winning project with, I would swap koeman.

Sailor Mars

If Laporta has someone else in mind, then I'm okay with going with a new coach.

But Koeman took over a team that did not sign any one over the summer other than a 20 yr RB. There were growing pains in the first dozen or so games, but the football improved considerably and eventually the results did as well. Plus, for those complaining about substitutions, he hardly has a bench to rely on.

The Puig infatuation has made some fans discredit almost everything about Koeman this season.

snowy

Sh vers: Too many red flags and he seems too rigid to be willing to change! so best part ways before shit really hits the fan...

IF he can commit to a few Dr Phil sessions and he promises to mellow down and pay attention and do the dishes, I guess he could stay another season :girly:

srsly though, should he stay, it's crucial that he rotates more, sub better and be less predictable. They'll have the whole pre-season to discuss strategies and work stuff out with Schreuder

Otherwise, my top choice would be Xavi

Last edited:

Vilarrubi

People who voted yes:

flat,800x800,075,f.u2.jpg

Home of Barca Fans