Should Koeman continue next season?

Should Koeman continue next season?

• Total voters

Rory

I would of kept Koeman even finishing 3rd if he didn't decide to shoehorn Pique and Roberto straight back in. The whole season of transitional just seems like a smokescreen to me now. Soon as the seniors were available back they go.

Same reasons for me. If he would have lost this league because we were transitioning in a bunch of players for the future, then fine. Bringing Pique back into the starting xi and then Roberto is indicative of nothing other than a manager who has no clue what he's doing. Such a shame. There was a month or two of football where for the first time in years I was looking forward to watching barca instead of it seeming like a chore.

khaled_a_d

It depends on what we see the club aiming for next year.
In all honesty, Koeman has actually surpassed my expectation for this season, and he has done some nice job with the youth.
That being said, he is a mediocre coach, good enough for the Ajax and PSV, maybe the Southampton and surely good NT coach. But he isn't made for a top 4 teams in one of the top leagues in Europe.

So are we trying to get trophies next year? Is that a realistic target for the club? Can we win Liga next season?
Could argue the answer is yes with the competition we have, but honestly I just don't see it.

So, on his defense:
Koeman had to work with no sporting director, only one signing that was solely done because we sold a more expensive player and got some profit. He worked with 3 different boards/presidents in one year.
His CB going into the season? Injury prone and old Pique, some B players, finished Umtiti and out of form Lenglet and mind you that inform Lenglet isn't even that good. Fullbacks are old Jessica Alba, Firpo, young not ready Dest and Roberto.

His attack was whom? Braithwaite? :lol: Dembele :)lol: :lol:)? injured Fati, Griezmann, Messi who was unhappy for early part of the season? That is probably the worst attacking group we had in years. If it wasn't for Messi I would argue it is probably the worst we had since 80's or something.
Midfield? ancient Busquets & Pjanic, FDJ and then some kids who is tasting first team football for first time? Oh, and injured Coutinho too.

Even MATS stopped his own performance as good Liga GK.

The squad, the state of the club were all playing against him and we still fought for Liga, won CDR. Played better football and overall were improving our offense. We are younger than last season with some more hope for the future.

Now there is what is against him:
-His subs is useless, and I hate to imagine how he is going to use them when we have only 3 subs next season (most likely). Though it might save him from himself.
-He takes things too personally with our players, once he decided a player is useless, no coming back for him.
-He is tactically mediocre tbf. Get outcoached pretty easily. Don't know when to set back and when to go all out attack. His emphasis on midfield need to be worked.
-He is burning some of those young players. Said it before and will say it again, young players needs to be incorporated gradually. The last few month Koeman isn't doing either Pedri or Illaix any good.
-He is useless in big games.

From the start, we knew that Koeman is a stop gap. He came while club is in crisis and was willing to sacrifice a great job with NT for it. But the question, from a pragmatic pov, is whether we need a stop next year with a new president (who is a popular and charismatic figure in world of football, at least based on his history)
If we need another stop gap, a guy who takes the blame and the heat for the growing pains of the transition, the I prefer Koeman tbh, I think whoever coming next season will get burned by this dysfunctional squad (that has no chance to be corrected into a legit contender into one summer)
If we believe we are good enough to win trophies, then go for coaching change.

The last question is his replacement:
-I have respect to Piementa, but the guy didn't even get to know how it is to be in first division football, if Wikepedia is correct then this guy has played like 5 games with 1st division football (1 with Barca, 4 with Extremadura who got relegated) and the rest of his career he was 3rd division coach. Spend the rest of his career as youth coach.
It is like asking a good damn teacher/professor to be a CEO overnight. He might be able to make the jump eventually but he needs some step before that.
-Xavi gives me a Lampard vibes tbg, not ready at all IMO but at some point we will need to take the risk.
But should we take it him with Busquets, Alba,Pique still in the team? I mean Pep played with Puyol and Xavi and had same age difference with them as Xavi with those players, but Pep left too early and wasn't so close to them as Xavi.

I think it will be difficult to get rid of all 3 in one summer, and most likely it will be done through 2 years. so again I think Xavi waiting the extra year is better for all partied.

-The likes of Blanc, Cocu, Gio sounds like the next Koeman tbh

-The let's look outside of Barca: Rangnick is there for the taking, same for Low, but they are both in their 60's and never managed big clubs and don't speak a Spanish word. Allegri is there but plays an anti-Barca football.
Galtier is worth a look tbf. Gallardo & Erik ten Hag too although I am not a believer.

In Liga I don't see anyone tbh, Lopetegui has a chance and doing well for Seville but his experience with RM leaves a lot to be desired.

-The let's get him back: Pep is everyone dream, but he is just a dream. Will Lucho take the job back? he could be realistic candidate if he isn't interested in continuing with NT.
EV could actually be a real candidate if we are actually desperate to get Liga title back, but I know that folks here will be in massive riots over this :lol:

Overall, I don't see many good alternative options ready to take over. Although there are some worth the risk.

In general, I voted yes. I think he Koeman would show us a better season with some transfers and better president and sport planning. He won't win anything most likely but he will set his successor for better job.
It is a tough call though, I am like 51% of him staying, 49% of him leaving

Last edited:

Andresito

Staff member
As to whether we can win Liga next season? Definitely yes. If we can minimize the points dropped, especially against shit teams and ESPECIALLY when we have the lead (FFS), we have a good chance of competing.

Regarding Koeman's replacement. I honestly have no idea or preference who'd be the best.
I'm on board with questionable names like Bielsa, Lopetegui, Gallardo or ten Hag if Laporta and Alemany deems them fitting.
Who I won't accept though is Jordi Cruyff. Pimienta is somewhere inbetween, seems like a great youth coach and he'd be the best if we'd go the absolute ruthless start from scratch route with everyone over 30 gone (which is unlikely).

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Judging from Koeman's post-game comments where he was baffled about what happened yesterday (?It?s very disappointing. It?s impossible to understand what happened. It?s difficult to explain it.?), he clearly doesn't understand some of the basic issues pointed by many members on this forum. I like him a lot as a person and a Barca legend but as a manager, he doesn't have the capacity to fix the issues that paralyze us and lead us to greater things.

jamrock

More the Granada & levante game I would have wanted him to continue, but after those two games it tough giving him 1 more season

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Can we win La Liga next season? Regardless of what Real Madrid, Atletico and even Sevilla might do to beef themselves up (for example Real Madrid might get Mbappe this summer but not likely), for us I see a pretty slim chance. If Messi stays, perhaps we have a 50% shot if he doesn't deteriorate further quickly. If he leaves that chance is down to 30% and even lower in my opinion, as we will be in full rebuild mode, trying to figure out how to play without Messi and fill the hole he leaves with regard to both scoring and creating, it won't be easy.

Khaled raised a good point, what is our objective next season? Someone will say we should always be aiming at winning the league, the CdR and the CL etc., Sure, but practically? Especially if Messi leaves? Should we place more focus on winning trophies for the sake of trophies with little regard to transition and rebuild, or be realistic and accept that perhaps we don't have what it takes to win any major trophies (if Messi leaves) and we should focus on the rebuild, laying the foundation for a healthier future? That said, I don't know if Koeman will be the right manager even if we go with the second approach (rebuild), and I don't know what alternatives we have. Koeman just struck me as out of depth and out of ideas to fix our problems and take us further.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
You could argue he deserves another shot at it with a competent board and management(hopefully) and some actual transfers this summer.

But I don't think he should continue.

Whether he stays or goes, nothing will change unless you move on from the likes of Pique, Busquets, Roberto, Alba.....these guys are the common denominators in our decline and worst losses the last 3-4 seasons. I suppose you could include ter Stegen too as his goalkeeping have been very weak in these games.

Messi hasn't been at his best in several key games either, but even when Messi has stepped up and done everything he could to take the team forward these guys have put in one disasterclass after the other.

khaled_a_d

That said, I don't know if Koeman will be the right manager even if we go with the second approach (rebuild), and I don't know what alternatives we have. Koeman just struck me as out of depth and out of ideas to fix our problems and take us further.

For me, Koeman is like LVG/Antic of 03/04 season, with a better end result.
The work that was done in that year eased the job of Rijkaard IMO.
We can argue it is better to get a "Rijkaard" next year to the rebuild rather than wait.
The way I think about it, we are at different times, and Rijkaard would never survived the 1st half of that 2003/04 season nowadays.
Koeman can be a punching bag for another year, while putting better foundation for next coach.
In ideal world, a very good coach would replace him though

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
For me, Koeman is like LVG/Antic of 03/04 season, with a better end result.
The work that was done in that year eased the job of Rijkaard IMO.
We can argue it is better to get a "Rijkaard" next year to the rebuild rather than wait.
The way I think about it, we are at different times, and Rijkaard would never survived the 1st half of that 2003/04 season nowadays.
Koeman can be a punching bag for another year, while putting better foundation for next coach.
In ideal world, a very good coach would replace him though

The question is, if we keep Koeman for another season, what are we going to get out of him next season? Trophies are probably out of the picture, are we keeping him only because we can't find another more capable, suitable and available manager? He is only kept while we are doing the search, or do we actually see that he can help us with something, such as developing the youth etc.? Also, there is no guarantee that we will find someone available in the summer of 2022, of course, things can still change.

We probably will be forced to keep him anyways in the end, but I'd rather we keep him because he can help us do something than just serving as some sort of interim manager because we can't find anybody else.

Ahmedd

We are playing better than under Valverde or Sequien. But he is responsible for a lot of failures that aren't acceptable at this level. He is one of the best defenders in barca history yet he is able to throw a 0-2 lead against a sh*t team with 3 games left in a wild title race. If there is a better solution he has to go.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
The question is, if we keep Koeman for another season, what are we going to get out of him next season? Trophies are probably out of the picture, are we keeping him only because we can't find another more capable, suitable and available manager? He is only kept while we are doing the search, or do we actually see that he can help us with something, such as developing the youth etc.? Also, there is no guarantee that we will find someone available in the summer of 2022, of course, things can still change.

We probably will be forced to keep him anyways in the end, but I'd rather we keep him because he can help us do something than just serving as some sort of interim manager because we can't find anybody else.

I'll also add:

He's done a good job playing some younger players like Araujo, Mingueza, Pedri, but can he develop and coach them into better players? Can Koeman commit to moving on from Pique, Busquets and others and be what LVG was for Barca and Bayern which in turn will help a new manager a lot.

I have doubts about that.

One thing I'm sure about is that we really need to hit on our next manager. We need some stability and ideally someone who can be here for at least 4-5 years.

malvolio

One thing I'm sure about is that we really need to hit on our next manager.

i would say we need to hit on some transfers first. that's our main issue for some time now.

imagine if coutinho, griezmann and dembele wouldn't have been duds. even setien would have won something.

Home of Barca Fans