Florentino Perez

khaled_a_d

Surprised the man has no thread tbh
Probably the time to have his own thread here, in the wake of the whole superleague mess

Andresito

Staff member
So is he the big loser or the big winner here?

I wonder if the clubs will have to pay a penalty fee for quitting ESL.

Barcelona will NOT have to pay any termination penalty (fee) if the socios vote AGAINST the club participating in the Super League. This is a clause in the document, with the Super League, signed by Joan Laporta. @marcelobechler #ESL

Meaning the other clubs will?

Who gets that money? :papaperez:

El Gato

Villarato!
We don't know how much he'll lose and what approach he will take. For all we know about Perez he:
a) doesn't admit defeat and doesn't forget any losses he suffered or bad decisions he made (i.e. Kaka)
b) only lets mask drop to bluntly voice personal discontent with things that make his project not a leading brand (i.e. complaining about La Liga wage limits, quality of football on display etc)

This could either mean that whatever investment he was planning to make in the Super League is back in the bank could go towards lawsuits. Or anger investments to show he's still the boss.

mc_lovin

At the very least I dont think we will see him at games anymore. He should get a lot of abuse when fans are back, and rightfully so. Still cant believe how badly he managed that interview. Really makes you wonder how disconnected billionaires are. And who the fuck prepared him?!

mc_lovin

What was wrong about the interview?

You think there was nothing wrong with the interview? He probably sank any rest "hope" there was for the competition. Came across as delusional, megalomaniac and arrogant. Not to mention the statistics he pulled out. Page out of the Trump playbook.

Explains why Real fans were (more) on board with this though judging by your take/reaction.

Last edited:

El Gato

Villarato!
You think there was nothing wrong with the interview? He probably sank any rest "hope" there was for the competition. Came across as delusional, megalomaniac and arrogant. Not to mention the statistics he pulled out. Page out of the Trump playbook.

Explains why Real fans were (more) on board with this though judging by your take/reaction.

Didn't say there was nothing wrong. Just think it's actions not words that make him more of a mug.
I disagree fundamentally with the format. Ultimately however it's the organisation of project security that will make him a mug. If he didn't lock in the participants despite claiming he did (and he did claim he secured the 3 remaining ones - Bayern, BVB, Porto; which was exposed as a lie), that's what makes him look terrible. Eclipses anything he said to promote it.

Real fans are more on board because most are casual non-match go-ers who buy into the idea of watching good footie on TV no matter how it's built. I have nothing to do with that mindset.

Birdy

Despite being hated by me as the president of the most hated club ever,

I have to admit he is a visionary that knows markets in and out, and his assessment is correct.
The future is heading towards that direction.
The SuperLeague will become a reality soon. The format will be tweaked and there will be a rudimentary relegation/promotion rule at some point.
But the essence and the core of it is that the best teams will play against each other exhaustively that has never happened before.
What will be eliminated is the casual Barca - Ferencvaros or RM - CSKA Moscow that we have been used to.

Some people will cling to the past and refuse to embrace the new that is coming,
but that was always the case with any historical development.

Last edited:

Birdy

Assessment of what

of the financial situation and how it can be reverted.

But also: of the fact that fans want these big games between big clubs.
Which 100% applies even more emphatically to fans around the globe that have no grassroot connection with the clubs they support.

El Gato

Villarato!

Which 100% applies even more emphatically to fans around the globe that have no grassroot connection with the clubs they support.

What financial situation?

People always go after the low hanging fruit and casuals shouldn't necessarily be catered to by giving them big games just cuz it might (not guaranteed, big brands =/= better football) put asses in front of TV screens somewhere in Asia.

Mistyoptic

The financial situation being that Barca and Madrid have run themselves into apocalyptic levels of debt, by making terrible financial decisions for over a decade. Not just in terms of transfers and contracts, but also in monopolising the league - to the extent that nobody is watching anymore.

He and we have only got ourselves to blame. We need to lump it, and this stuff needs to be regulated far better than it currently is now. The fact Barca and Madrid have that much debt, and yet they just signed Alaba while we're negotiating for Depay and Garcia, is astonishing.

Morten

But you are only talking about a select few clubs here, not La Liga or Serie A as a whole, ESL does nothing to make most of the teams catch up to PL.

Home of Barca Fans