Florentino Perez

malvolio

One option might be to open up club ownership to foreign investors. Not the best option maybe but that's what the Prem clubs have done. Look at the big clubs in England for example. LFC, Chelsea, Man Utd, City. All owned by foreign billionaires, oil merchants, sport groups like Fenway etc. A team like City was a joke club not too long ago but with Qatari investment look where they are now. Same for PSG. It's going to be hard to keep up with them after a while.The EPL as a product has grown significantly because of foreign investment in clubs.

Amen. The socios model ain't working when you have a business. And elite football clubs are run like businesses. It's not even about sporting excellence now.

Just voting for some politicians to run a club like a business, only to realise that they run it as politicians is no longer the way.

Newcomer

One option might be to open up club ownership to foreign investors. Not the best option maybe but that's what the Prem clubs have done. Look at the big clubs in England for example. LFC, Chelsea, Man Utd, City. All owned by foreign billionaires, oil merchants, sport groups like Fenway etc. A team like City was a joke club not too long ago but with Qatari investment look where they are now. Same for PSG. It's going to be hard to keep up with them after a while.The EPL as a product has grown significantly because of foreign investment in clubs.

Without Covid, Real Madrid and Bar?a are more than fine. They are the 2 clubs with the biggest income. If you lose your special status, you'll have to pay more tax i believe.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire

No, please no. Privatizing the club will put the club at the mercy of the owner(s) who might have all sort of motives, from using it as a way to cutting down taxes to insurance policy, showboating, cash cow, you name it. Yes if they are happy and we are lucky they pump a lot of money into the club but when they are not, or they are short on money? The club gets screwed, sold to another owner and goes through the same cycle again.

Our misery is mostly on us because of years of mismanagement, binge spending and poor controls in place, with COVID being the second culprit. We could have done a lot better and we can. Real Madrid is faring much better than us, so is Bayern, all member-owned clubs (mostly, in the case of Bayern). What member-owned clubs lack is funding on par with those from the state-owned clubs, but if FFP was still in place we should be OK, as they would not be allowed to bypass all the spending limits as they do now. I think after COVID subsides the FFP or another reincarnation of it will come back.

FC433

I just want note that I am not suggesting in any way that the club should be privatized; however,
Our misery is mostly on us because of years of mismanagement, binge spending and poor controls in place, with COVID being the second culprit. We could have done a lot better and we can.
Not something that is easy to address, particularly when we have limited candidates that
do not seem all that different.

Real Madrid is faring much better than us, so is Bayern, all member-owned clubs (mostly, in the case of Bayern).
Bayern is an interesting and different case. They are sort of owned in a sense that their actual performance is irrelevant because their sponsorships are local that will support them regardless.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Not something that is easy to address, particularly when we have limited candidates that
do not seem all that different.

Yes, but still much better than a random rich guy/sugardaddy owner who you have no idea what he/she wants to do with the club. At least with these candidates, we can vote them out if they don't do a good job or if we don't like them. You can't vote the rich guy/gal owner out no matter what he/she does.

Bayern is an interesting and different case. They are sort of owned in a sense that their actual performance is irrelevant because their sponsorships are local that will support them regardless.

They do get a lot of backing from German businesses. Well, they are partially owned (25%) by three German corporations (Audi, Adidas, Allianz) and their commercial income has been more than handsome.

FC433

Yes, but still much better than a random rich guy/sugardaddy owner who you have no idea what he/she wants to do with the club.
Well yes. Being owned is hit and miss; however, if things stay as is, I cannot see us staying competitive when other teams are properly and professionally run. Football is no longer a community, it is a business.

At least with these candidates, we can vote them out if they don't do a good job or if we don't like them. You can't vote the rich guy/gal owner out no matter what he/she does.
Football has a very fast rhythm, while this one particular privilege is a bit too slow to be an actual +

They do get a lot of backing from German businesses. Well, they are partially owned (25%) by three German corporations (Audi, Adidas, Allianz) and their commercial income has been more than handsome.
Exactly. Bayern is a unique example that should never be compared nor their approach is appropriate to follow, for us at least.

FC433

I personally support Perez's SL as I believe it is necessary for European tops teams to form a new league to survive and stay relevant. I would not have supported the idea if the gap between the PL and other leagues was not widening. If everything goes as expected, the amount of $$$$$ we get from sponsorships will most likely go to another PL team.

Although I do not agree with the proposed structure of the SL, I still think it is a good idea. Start it and then adjust it as you go until you have a well-structured league.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Well yes. Being owned is hit and miss; however, if things stay as is, I cannot see us staying competitive when other teams are properly and professionally run. Football is no longer a community, it is a business.

Football has a very fast rhythm, while this one particular privilege is a bit too slow to be an actual +

Exactly. Bayern is a unique example that should never be compared nor their approach is appropriate to follow, for us at least.

Well, it is risk worth taking. It requires a visionary leader/president who has the ability to hire some competent business professionals (I think Ferran Reverter's profile sounds like he is going to more than just a competent CEO) to lead the club. Every club has that risk, regardless of the ownership model. Nobody knows what will happen to Real Madrid when the visionary and legendary Perez is gone, the same with Bayern (we don't know how Herbert Hainer and Kahn will shape Bayern). Again, if the current leader doesn't work, in our case we just vote him/her out, that is quick enough compared to the likes of United and Arsenal who are stuck with the Glazers and Korenke.

khaled_a_d

Imagine getting an owner/majority investor like Kroenke lol

Or Lim.
Seriously, how many clubs with private owners (not states) has the full support of fans?
Berlusconi was one, but they turned on him at the end.
Liverpool? They hated most of their owners and many can't stand current one after the non-spending in past couple of years.
Arsenal? Lol.
Manu? Absolutely not
Spurs? Not sure tbh.
Chelsea? I would say yes. He turned the club into European powerhouse for 18 years now.
Juventus? I think they don't have problems with them.

Overall, it isn't like majority of fans aren't made about the owners like we are mad about the elected presidents

FC433

Perez is an intelligent individual, and I do not believe that he wishes to hurt our club. However, I also do not believe that he even has Madrid's best interests in mind as of late. He rather seems focused on getting the SL going at any cost; therefore, and for this particular reason, I do hope Laporta is very careful with what he does/ will do and does not support Perez unconditionally.

Messigician

Papa Perez rules the world of football

🚨🌕| The Super League will be launched in either 2022 or 2023. All 12 clubs are still on board and are only waiting for the European Court of Justice's approval, which they expect to receive in the next few months. @voz_populi

🚨🌕| The Super League is expected to have a new format and will NOT be a closed league. @voz_populi

🚨🌕| Real Madrid are in talks with multiple investment firms such as Providence, Apollo, Bain and Searchlight, who are willing to offer a much better deal than CVC offered La Liga, as Florentino Perez knew the CVC deal was "a scam" @voz_populi

Messigician

Uefa statement 🚨📑

?Following stay of proceedings against Bar?a, Juventus and Real Madrid, in the matter related to violation of UEFA?s legal framework with Super League, UEFA Appeals Body declared today the proceedings NULL & void, as if the proceedings had never been opened?.

Perez owns that small organisation

Home of Barca Fans