Do you agree with the concept of a European Super League?

Do you agree with the concept of a European Super League?

• Yes

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • No

Votes: 60 75.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Raketa10

What do you guys think? I personally don't like it. Perhaps it can grow on me, but for now I really can't support the idea. I am genuinely not against it but the problem is that there has to be some kind of a structure.

For example, if there is no more CL than there has to be SL 1-2-3. There needs to be some sort of promotion-relegation system. IMHO It should't be a closed system like in NBA. The importance of national leagues will disappear as wining it wouldn't mean anything. To be fair, I see no point in playing domestic leagues with SL in place. Moreover, there is a big chance that in a couple of years we could have a league system with 20 teams in each of the 3 Super Leagues and a Super Cup system for all 3 leagues combined. That would actually result with 38 league games for each team and 9 or 10 more in this Cup system. If that happens domestic (ore regional) leagues will probably drop to amateur level and will exist only to produce talents for the SL.

Last edited:

Windhook

Founder shit is the most annoying thing about it. Also having just 5 clubs outside this exclusive club is hypocrisy. Struggling Milan gets revived with enormous cash boost and imagine what's next - they'll buy half of the good players in Serie A (Lazio, Roma, Atalanta, etc.). How come this is good for football? Football academies worldwide will work just to produce footballers for the well being of those 15 clubs.

Raketa10

Founder shit is the most annoying thing about it. Also having just 5 clubs outside this exclusive club is hypocrisy. Struggling Milan gets revived with enormous cash boost and imagine what's next - they'll buy half of the good players in Serie A (Lazio, Roma, Atalanta, etc.). How come this is good for football? Football academies worldwide will work just to produce footballers for the well being of those 15 clubs.

How is that any different from today? :D

Andresito

Staff member
How is that any different from today? :D

Because players are too ambitious to stay outside ESL. Now at least you can play for Ajax or Sevilla and reach the QF in CL.
With ESL you won't even get to play any interesting games unless you move to one of the biggest sides.

It basically becomes pointless to play for any other side because your team most definitely won't be able to compete with the best, compared to today where your team might have a slight chance to clinch a domestic trophy or go far in CL.

messi2140

6racies Xavi
Because players are too ambitious to stay outside ESL. Now at least you can play for Ajax or Sevilla and reach the QF in CL.
With ESL you won't even get to play any interesting games unless you move to one of the biggest sides.

It basically becomes pointless to play for any other side because your team most definitely won't be able to compete with the best, compared to today where your team might have a slight chance to clinch a domestic trophy or go far in CL.

There are qualifier spots if I'm not mistaken.

El Gato

Villarato!
There are qualifier spots if I'm not mistaken.

Qualifier to a league where you have to beat 5-7 juggernauts home and away enough times to qualify from 4th spot for the knockout round. The equivalent of putting Crvena Zvezda in a group with RM, City and BVB in the CL.

And at the end of it you'll still get relegated if not winning anything, only banking some cash based on achievement.

JamDav1982

Qualifier to a league where you have to beat 15 juggernauts home and away enough times to qualify from 4th spot for the knockout round. The equivalent of putting Crvena Zvezda in a group with RM, City and BVB in the CL.

Would be same as CL. The smaller sides are looking to qualify for profile and cash not belief they will win it or go far.

This way those smaller teams get more games even if less likely to qualify.

El Gato

Villarato!
Would be same as CL. The smaller sides are looking to qualify for profile and cash not belief they will win it or go far.

This way those smaller teams get more games even if less likely to qualify.

Saying it as if folk like that aspect of the CL.

Raketa10

Those cases are so rare that are basically insignificant. You have also mentioned Ajax and Sevilla who will probably enter SL sooner or later. Problem are much smaller teams like Ferencvaros, Viktoria Plzen, Apoel etc. Let's be fair here. First part of CL is boring as fuck. In 90% of cases we all know who are the top 2 teams who will advance to the elimination phase. Teams like Dinamo Zagreb, Crvena Zvezda or Slavia Prague make more money for losing 8 straight games in CL with (0-20 goal difference) than when they actually compete in Europa League. Tell me how they actually contribute to the competition? Don't get me wrong, I am not against small clubs but this current CL is boring as fuck during the group stage. Money changed the world of football long ago and small teams can't compete with or without the CL. I am not saying that the closed format is the right solution but something definitely needs to change.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans