La Liga | Round 30: Real Madrid - FC Barcelona 2-1

Bobo32

Dembele as a 9 can never turn into a successful card, because he doesn't have the IQ to learn a new difficult role, especially against compact defences.
As for Lukaku, he doesn't need lots of intelligence for that. He already has an impressive physicality to win the duels, got powerful shots and lots of experience.. He is a reliable goal-scorer; and I see him very complementary with a creator like Messi (if he stays in the club).
Even in build-up, Stegen can send a direct long ball to a Lukaku's header if the opponent is playing with a high-pressing and blocking short passes.

If I go on what you are saying, and forget for a while what my picture of Lukaku is like, then I say Suarez could've played that role 10 times better than Lukaku still, do you agree?
There must be a lot of better options than Lukaku, I say Braithwaite is better, and there are hundreds like him around.

If I go on what you are saying, and forget for a while what my picture of Lukaku is like, then I say Suarez could've played that role 10 times better than Lukaku still, do you agree?
There must be a lot of better options than Lukaku, I say Braithwaite is better, and there are hundreds like him around.

Braithwaite is better than Lukaku for you?? Lol, nope. Lukaku isn't surely the most gifted player; but you can't judge him based on his passage in ManUtd, because he was badly used by Mourinho (defends with 10 players inside the box and then sends a direct high-ball to an isolated Lukaku who has to fight alone to make a goal, lol) :lol: That doesn't work.

If we want to rate attackers based on the role of CF, i would say:
Benzema 86
H.Kane 87
Lukaku 87
Lautaro 86
Firmino 84
Icardi 84
Mbappe 92
Haaland 89
Braithwaite 77
Dembele 79 (85 if winger)
Aguero 85 (actually)
Lewandowski 90
Suarez 86
Griezmann 82 (87 as a second striker, and 77 as winger)
Aubameyang 85
Morata 85
Werner 86

Last edited:

Bobo32

Braithwaite is better than Lukaku for you?? Lol, nope. Lukaku isn't surely the most gifted player; but you can't judge him based on his passage in ManUtd, because he was badly used by Mourinho (defends with 10 players inside the box and then sends a direct high-ball to an isolated Lukaku who has to fight alone to make a goal, lol) :lol: That doesn't work.

If we want to rate attackers based on the role of CF, i would say for example:
Benzema 86
H.Kane 87
Lukaku 87
Lautaro 86
Firmino 84
Icardi 84
Mbappe 92
Haaland 89
Braithwaite 77
Aguero 85 (actually)
Lewandowski 90
Suarez 86
Aubameyang 85
Morata 85
Werner 86

He played for many clubs in many years. Maybe he works this season at Inter, playing a certain way. I don't think Barcelona should model themselves on Inter 2021.
I have no idea what to do with these numbers, I don't see football that way, but I do appreciate you writing them down. Benzema, Lewa, Firmino, Haaland or Suarez are CFs for Barcelona, in that list. Maybe someone more.

Fati_Future_BallonDor

If we want to rate attackers based on the role of CF, i would say:
Benzema 86
H.Kane 87
Lukaku 87
Lautaro 86
Firmino 84
Icardi 84
Mbappe 92
Haaland 89
Braithwaite 77
Aguero 85 (actually)
Lewandowski 90
Suarez 86
Aubameyang 85
Morata 85
Werner 86

on the CF role i would put Haaland over Mbappe an Werner is trash at the moment.

Gaudi

We all know our problems, spoke a lot about attack, not moving, attacking the box,simple things, but I can't believe top team (if we are one) gets split with one ball so many times. This happens in park football. Complete lack of positioning and/or football brain.
Also, even RM who are no world best today play defense in "normal" way, they cover places, if opponent comes close to the box they narrow down, shut the space. We are doing opposite, left so many time on open spaces, Alba goes to some suicide press no one follows, disarray.

Yes, we need number 9 but first we need to create play for number 9. We had 3 simple actions, all Alba crosses - 1 goal, 2 good chances. Simple, quick and attack the box.

Altomonte

woke up at 5am and could not stop thinking about those late woodwork actions in both first and second half. What is it with Messi that he can't have a little luck in important games? Kroos scores a goal from a mediocre freekick just because Dest is turning his back to the ball - Messi's freekick is stopped by Kross with his arm but referee refuses to invoke VAR.
Messi's corner is hitting wood and bouncing out after beating Courtois!
I think VAR should be handled like in Tennis: The team's captain should have a few challenges that force the referee to invoke VAR.
I remember last Clasico when VAR awarded a penalty to RM because of Ramos playacting.
This time Mendy hooked Braithwaite's arm but referee decided to look the other way.
Things like that make it difficult to be a Bar?a fan - VAR seems to be wholly owned and sponsored by Madrid.
And the RM control of VAR even seems to extend to the CL: Man? was wrestled down, RM recovered the ball and scored a goal a few seconds later. Where was VAR? The referee even punished Man? when he complained.

Kul_z

We were shambles in defence. We didnt closed gaps fast enough, and madrid not trying to create and hitting us on counters didnt help either. Cant believe that madrid parked the bus like they are playing against prime barca.
Conditions with heavy rain obviously didnt help us, but we should be able to adapt.

Overall, it was a hell of a game for neutrals, plenty of shots, couple of woodworks, possible penalty, red card..

El classico didnt dissapoint anyone, except us ofcourse.

In last years we are always involved in game of the season but also always take the L.

Ffs

mc_lovin

We were shambles in defence. We didnt closed gaps fast enough, and madrid not trying to create and hitting us on counters didnt help either. Cant believe that madrid parked the bus like they are playing against prime barca.
Conditions with heavy rain obviously didnt help us, but we should be able to adapt.

Overall, it was a hell of a game for neutrals, plenty of shots, couple of woodworks, possible penalty, red card..

El classico didnt dissapoint anyone, except us ofcourse.

In last years we are always involved in game of the season but also always take the L.

Ffs

The game showed again that 3ATB is just a shit formation. I got tricked into thinking that it solved our problems, but generally it just invites weird positional play, "heroic" defensive actions and chaos. I really should have stood my ground.

I will live with the shame for the rest of my life.

mc_lovin

It isn't.

Might not fit your personnel, is all

Its extremely situational. With a four men defense the players are just better distributed/spread out.

If someone wins the CL with 3ATB as their go to formation we can talk again. If two equally talented teams play each other and one deploys 3ATB I would bet on the other team.

El Gato

Villarato!
Its extremely situational. With a four men defense the players are just better distributed/spread out.

If someone wins the CL with 3ATB as their go to formation we can talk again. If two equally talented teams play each other and one deploys 3ATB I would bet on the other team.

All this talk is kind of overrated anyway. When defending a DM almost always drops in to make it a 3ATB/5ATB, or covers for a wide defender while CMs drop to cover middle. Personnel is what matters more

mc_lovin

All this talk is kind of overrated anyway. When defending a DM almost always drops in to make it a 3ATB/5ATB, or covers for a wide defender while CMs drop to cover middle. Personnel is what matters more

I dont mind a "pseudo" three men defense with the DM dropping between CBs (at least in possession), but defending is mostly done by two rows of four nowadays, because that makes sense as a defensive setup (while keeping a threat upfront).

With 3ATB getting into a logical defensive shape is just incredibly hard. You either have 3 CBs positioned too narrowly or drawn out of position. Theres generally an odd man out. And the central CB doesnt make an awful lot of sense either. What is his purpose? His area is rarely attacked directly - unless you go for hero plays like we did yesterday.

Home of Barca Fans