Who would you sign: Haaland or Mbappe?

Kylian Mbappe or Erling Braut Haaland?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Haaland for me hes deadly in front of goal which is exactly what we need. Mbappe for me is a touch overrated tbh. He's basically a dembele who didn't suffer a shitty injury spell

If Dembele could dribble efficiently and use his pace effectively and score boatloads of goals then sure.

i_bleed_blaugrana

Halaand has scored 6 headed goals in his entire young career (he scored 96), same number as Lenglet done for Barca since he joined. Mpabbe (who is 19 months older) has only 7.
Sure, Halaand is most likely a better in that area, but it doesn't seem like he will be that great in it. Doesn't seem to have that ability to out jump opponents.

It is not so much about winning headers. Yeah, it is great and all but him being taller means he can naturally bring down and win more aerial balls in the box than Mbappe could. He likes to finish more with his feet right now and the headers can come with time. But his movement and positioning in the box is fantastic, especially his ability to consistently beat defenders from a ball whipped in from out wide. He is so good at getting to low, driven crosses first and getting a solid effort on target and having that alone will really add dimensions to our attack. Take Messi out of this even, Jordi and Sergino would have a field day whipping crosses into him alone.

Everything on paper that made us push so hard for Ibra literally almost a decade ago, Haaland has. I also think he already has better movement off the ball than Ibra and his link-up play has really improved this year (my biggest concern with him fitting here before).

Mbappe is phenomenal but the key for me is that Ansu is a very, very similar player to Mbappe. Kylian would do great here but I like Haaland just a little more because he can offer us something we really have not had in a long time and the fact that we have a couple players of a similar profile to Mbappe already on the squad.

Both are phenomenal and I would be thrilled with either but just my two cents on why I think we are making the right call trying to break the bank for Haaland.

Mateka

We cannot afford to break the bank for anybody. We are ?1.2 bn in debt. We owe some say ?126 mn or ?200 mn in player transfers as it stands. Nobody will take us seriously in pursuit of top strikers in Europe. Man Utd in debt for ?1 bn , Real for ?900 mn. We are living on borrowed money that a sustainable package can be fashioned to avoid bankruptcy, but we are not at the negotiating table for the top players anymore.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

We cannot afford to break the bank for anybody. We are €1.2 by in debt. We owe some say €126 mn or €200 mn in player transfers as it stands. Nobody will take us seriously in pursuit of top strikers in Europe. Man Utd in debt for €1 bn , Real for €900 mn. We are living on borrowed money that a sustainable package can be fashioned to avoid bankruptcy, but we are not at the negotiating table for the top players anymore.

Barca will restructure the debt and if rumours to be believed allow for some external investment of 200-300m.

Also the club had funds coming in for transfers as well this summer.

If they really want to push the boat out they can find ways to spend big on a player.

Bankruptcy will never happen. Worst case scenario is socio structure has to change to allow investment which is unlikely also even now.

Bobo32

It is not so much about winning headers. Yeah, it is great and all but him being taller means he can naturally bring down and win more aerial balls in the box than Mbappe could. He likes to finish more with his feet right now and the headers can come with time. But his movement and positioning in the box is fantastic, especially his ability to consistently beat defenders from a ball whipped in from out wide. He is so good at getting to low, driven crosses first and getting a solid effort on target and having that alone will really add dimensions to our attack. Take Messi out of this even, Jordi and Sergino would have a field day whipping crosses into him alone.

Everything on paper that made us push so hard for Ibra literally almost a decade ago, Haaland has. I also think he already has better movement off the ball than Ibra and his link-up play has really improved this year (my biggest concern with him fitting here before).

Mbappe is phenomenal but the key for me is that Ansu is a very, very similar player to Mbappe. Kylian would do great here but I like Haaland just a little more because he can offer us something we really have not had in a long time and the fact that we have a couple players of a similar profile to Mbappe already on the squad.

Both are phenomenal and I would be thrilled with either but just my two cents on why I think we are making the right call trying to break the bank for Haaland.
Haaland lacks the technique and the "genious" that Zlatan had, but he is a natural runner and goalscorer and seems to not have the diva personality of Zlatan. I think they are VERY different in almost every way, but the one thing they have in common is that they can offer the "Plan B" with their directness and physicality.

A big difference is that when Zlatan arrived, the whole team consisted of "Plan A"-players, now it's more of a mishmash, almost like a team of the full alphabet, even if it is a better situation now than last year.
I think Barcelona must go back to their plan A, and make it great again, and that they can afford one, or, at the most, two players that are more direct, playing their own game. Haaland is the only one I see right now that is worth giving that role, but if the club is going in another direction, and keep buying a lot of different star players without going for a clear Plan A, then I think Haaland could be a real disaster buy, bringing Barcelona finally to a Valencia-type situation.

Last edited:

putogusiluz8

The Pale One
What a terrifying combination of height, athleticism, power and skill. Don't be fooled by his vikingness, this is a man of elegance. Some of his dribbles are real silky and then top it off he shoots thunderbolts at goal.

Great Odin's Raven. What a scary player to have.

snowy

Ninja Donat is great but if having to chose, Big H !!! His skill sets and the attributes he brings are rarer. Give this big orc half a chance and he finds the net.

Yannik

Barca will restructure the debt and if rumours to be believed allow for some external investment of 200-300m.

Also the club had funds coming in for transfers as well this summer.

If they really want to push the boat out they can find ways to spend big on a player.

Bankruptcy will never happen. Worst case scenario is socio structure has to change to allow investment which is unlikely also even now.

Worst case scenario is literally getting bailed out by the state at some point, which is crazy given how parts of Spain are still basically a 3rd world country. If that happens, then Barca should really ditch that Mes Que slogan.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Worst case scenario is literally getting bailed out by the state at some point, which is crazy given how parts of Spain are still basically a 3rd world country. If that happens, then Barca should really ditch that Mes Que slogan.

How will the Spanish government bail us out? By granting us some low-interest loans?

And out of curiosity, which parts of Spain were you referring to?

Yannik

And out of curiosity, which parts of Spain were you referring to?

Just as an example: I'm currently living on Tenerife. Here 25% people overall and 60% of young people are unemployed. About a hundred thousand people here are living in the mountains surviving off nothing but little fruit gardens and sometimes not eating for days. The whole economy is banana trade basically, which is basically a mafia at this point. And tourism of course but that's dead.

About 500 meter off my balcony there is a drainpipe reaching about 50m into the sea, which illegally pumps the whole islands sewage into the Atlantic. Then of course the waves float the whole feces and waste back onto the shore where the people live. Every early morning at a specific time, I can see hundreds of brown-reddish waves of literal shit hitting the shores below my appartment, This is because the island does not have a treatment plant. The EU once paid millions for the construction of some, but they were never built and the money "vanished" miraculously. Noones been in the water for years, and fish is only really bought from the "shitfree zones". People have been protesting of course but the government doesnt care really. This level of corruption and poverty is normal here though.

Last edited:

khaled_a_d

Has the government bailed any business out during Covid? Whether Spanish government or Catalan one?
I can see it happening only if they have done it to other corporates, not as an exception.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
I'm currently living on Tenerife, 25% people is unemployed, 60% of young people are unemployed. About a hundred thousand people here are living in the mountains surviving off nothing but little fruit gardens and sometimes not eating for days. The whole economy is banana trade basically, which is basically a mafia at this point. And tourism of course but that's dead.

About 500 meter off my balcony there is a drainpipe that illegally pumps the whole islands sewage into the Atlantic. Then of course the waves float the whole feces and waste then back onto the shore where the people live, and everyone has been protesting for as long as I can remember. This is because the island does not have a treatment plant. The EU once paid millions for the construction of some, but they were never built and the money "vanished" miraculously. This is normal here though.

Right, I remembered you mentioned about living there before. I have never been to the Canary Islands, I am guessing they are less developed compared to the Spanish mainland? I would have thought the islands would look pretty posh considering there are lot of tourists and residents from other EU countries. Emmm..

Home of Barca Fans