Franck Kessie

fergus90

I agree there is no chance we are selling De Jong. Kessie is just a great market opportunity to add a player for free whilst finances are tight, who is entering his prime, is a good b2b player and has resale value if it doesn't work out.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Kessie doesn't make much sense, but since he's a free transfer I assume they want to add some quality depth. Talk about him being a goalscoring midfielder is laughable though. 90% of his goals are from penalties.

They should save up some money for Tchouameni for the CDM position for 2023 assuming he doesn't leave next summer.

Barcilliant

Not a fan, but as long as we don't give crazy wages+signing fee there's not much harm I suppose. Worst case we sell him for 20ME+ in a few years. But honestly I don't know what's in there for him. Midfield is crazy stacked, he could just join another top team and be a starter. Crazy that it seems to be done.

Sending Nico on loan would be retarded. Terrible suggestion.

Midfield is stacked? 😂

Gavi, Pedri,De Jong and Busquets. Busquets is old and should have gone three years ago. Roberto is just average and a squad player. Pedri and Gavi are very young and we don't need to burn them out.
We are stacked in the forwards section. We are thin in midfield and defense.
Kessie is a different profile and I'm sure Xavi will use him. He will get minutes and depending on how he plays he may even be a starter.

DonAK

Midfield is stacked? 

Gavi, Pedri,De Jong and Busquets. Busquets is old and should have gone three years ago. Roberto is just average and a squad player. Pedri and Gavi are very young and we don't need to burn them out.
We are stacked in the forwards section. We are thin in midfield and defense.
Kessie is a different profile and I'm sure Xavi will use him. He will get minutes and depending on how he plays he may even be a starter.

Kessie won't start for us. Not a CDM so cannot replace Busquets. Would have to replace Frenkie or Pedri from the starting lineup most likely and that isn't happening.

We'd be better off going after a proper CDM to replace Busquets tbh but Kessie is free and the salary we offered seem reasonable enough I guess so don't mind him.

I'm kinda struggling to see what he offers that is so great? Seem like a jack of all trades kind of player, but not particularly great at anything.

Barcilliant

Kessie won't start for us. Not a CDM so cannot replace Busquets. Would have to replace Frenkie or Pedri from the starting lineup most likely and that isn't happening.

We'd be better off going after a proper CDM to replace Busquets tbh but Kessie is free and the salary we offered seem reasonable enough I guess so don't mind him.

I'm kinda struggling to see what he offers that is so great? Seem like a jack of all trades kind of player, but not particularly great at anything.

Which CDM should we look at?

jamrock

0% chance he can start for us, good squad option to have though, I'm not sure if he will be happy with that.

Barcilliant

He is a well rounded player who is good defensively. Very strong in the tackle and doesn't get blown off the ball like Busquets.

fergus90

We gotta save money for either Haaland or a top defender this summer, so bolstering the squad with good quality for free is the aim of the game in other areas right now. Probably address the CDM situation in 2023 because if rumours are to be believed Busi might not be signing a new contract, so he can play in the MLS.

DonAK

He is a well rounded player who is good defensively. Very strong in the tackle and doesn't get blown off the ball like Busquets.

Don't mind him as a free transfer. Although I won't be surprised if he's sold after a year or two to make room for a Busquets replacement.

Andresito

Staff member
I get the idea of signing someone on a free and selling 2 years later. But is that happening very often? Feels like more of a Football Manager type of thing.

Porque

If we did sign him then hopefully there is a plan behind it. He didn't mightily impress me when watching, kind of plays like Riqui Puig on cocaine.

Still, if Xavi has watched his tapes and believes he can impact his squad then I trust him. In recent weeks he has shown intelligence in squad management which suggests not only is he (obviously) a football genius but he is also utilizing data.

Home of Barca Fans