Laporta wins Barca elections

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Joan Laporta returns as Barca president for another run after winning Barcelona's presidential election on Sunday, besting Victor Font and Toni Freixa comfortably in a vote conducted by tens of thousands of the club's members.

img_ssole_20210307-162621_imagenes_md_terceros_ejoanlaporta2-U4022106455478UH-U492524682448vWD-980x554@MundoDeportivo-Web-Portada.jpg

Laporta, who oversaw the great heights achieved by the club during his previous term from 2003-2010, steps into a void left by Josep Bartomeu, the disgraced ex-president who resigned in October when facing a vote of no confidence. Carles Tusquets had been in charge in the interim. Laporta will serve a six-year term upon taking the reins again.

Birdy

Criticized heavily his electoral campaign, but I fully support him now, wish him and to the club the best

Daisymorr

I'm happy he won.

Not sure what he can do with the team because the finances are so bad but he started the glory days era under Pep.

Vilarrubi

Not saying his tenure will be anything like his last, but the club can’t get much lower. Can surely bring us back to a respectable state and hopefully more.

serghei

Let's hope he stays away from populist measures. Time for that is long gone. It's time to take this club back to the top and bring professionals in high management positions.

xxxxxx

I have major doubts about Laporta.

He came in with a net debt of 150m euros and left us with a net debt of 450m euros. He spent a lot despite having the likes of Xavi, Messi, Pedro, Busquets, Iniesta, Valdes, Cesc, Pique and Puyol in his system. Yeah, he brought in players like Henry, Ronaldinho, Yaya, Adibal and Eto'o for pretty cheap, but that was when the market wasn't inflated. He also faces the FFP and COVID restrictions. Then, he needs to pay back 266m euros to the banks by June, another 160m euros by the end year. He then has to resign Messi, who is going to want a big signing-on fee..... and big wages. Not to mention, Messi gets a 33m loyalty bonus in the summer. Unless Messi waives it, which I don't see him doing.

It's going to be hard for him to find world-class players for pretty cheap. We literally don't have the money to overhaul our squad, so the team we have now is probably what we'll have for the next 18 months. I guess we'll probably bring in Gini, Depay, Garcia and Gaya, but we're not going to be able to bring in any world-class players for a while.

He's in a shit position. It's going to very tough for him to change this. Our debt is getting worse and worse each month.... and will do now we're out of the Champions League and with no ticket sales. I honestly feel he should have stayed away. He's taking a gamble of destroying his reputation. But I do wish him the best of luck.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

He came in with a net debt of 150m euros and left us with a net debt of 450m euros. He spent a lot despite having the likes of Xavi, Messi, Pedro, Busquets, Iniesta, Valdes, Cesc, Pique and Puyol in his system. Yeah, he brought in players like Henry, Ronaldinho, Yaya, Adibal and Eto'o for pretty cheap, but that was when the market wasn't inflated. He also faces the FFP and COVID restrictions. Then, he needs to pay back 266m euros to the banks by June, another 160m euros by the end year. He then has to resign Messi, who is going to want a big signing-on fee..... and big wages. Not to mention, Messi gets a 33m loyalty bonus in the summer. Unless Messi waives it, which I don't see him doing.

It's going to be hard for him to find world-class players for pretty cheap. We literally don't have the money to overhaul our squad, so the team we have now is probably what we'll have for the next 18 months. I guess we'll probably bring in Gini, Depay, Garcia and Gaya, but we're not going to be able to bring in any world-class players for a while.

He's in a shit position. It's going to very tough for him to change this. Our debt is getting worse and worse each month.... and will do now we're out of the Champions League and with no ticket sales. I honestly feel he should have stayed away. He's taking a gamble of destroying his reputation. But I do wish him the best of luck.

Every issue you list there would face any President who came in now. Nothing specific to Laporta.

gregorrin10

The fact that he's willing to risk that, because he knows the club is in a shitty situation, desperately needing someone like him to help save it, makes him that much more of a great, at least in my eyes. And I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one thinking that.

Latschenkiefer

The amount of debt this guy piled up during his last presidency in a way less inflated market is heavily worrying. Especially considering the current state the club is in. And I expect him to continue with this habit. I think he will be eager to please his supporters with fast success which will most probably not be possible without spending big money. In my opinion this club needs a total overhaul and rethinking of financial approaches from the bottom up which could take years. Summoning mummies from a past where luck was on our side won't change anything. Could be the final nail in the coffin. It's not like he didn't have his very own vote of no confidence back then. At least we have some really promising youngsters coming up who (still) don't cost that much.

Andresito

Staff member
As been said, it can't get worse.

"After greeting the workers, I will call Messi. Will I convince him? It will depend on him, I will do what I can within the economic possibilities of the club."

I like that quote because the priority is club first. Messi's time is coming to an end and Barca will keep living without him. No need to empty the bank to have 1-2 more years of Messi.

Raketa10

The fact that he's willing to risk that, because he knows the club is in a shitty situation, desperately needing someone like him to help save it, makes him that much more of a great, at least in my eyes. And I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one thinking that.

I agree. Football club is not a company nor a financial institution. It has to be managed differently. Barca's President must have a charisma and has to make brave decisions. Font would probably do a decent job but this club currently needs someone with a much stronger personality. I believe Laporta will be a big improvement over Bartomeu. We should remember that he is one of the best presidents Barca ever had, maybe even the best one.

When spectators return to the Camp Nou this fall, financial situation will improve. Laporta will also have to address Griezmman, Coutinho and Umtiti problem. He can and will change financial demands of Messi and Demebele since both of them have to sign new contracts. The major problem are Cou, Grizi and Umtiti. They contribute absolutely nothing and are on huge salaries. If he somehow manages to get rid of them next summer Barca financial situation will improve significantly.

Last edited:

Andresito

Staff member
When spectators return to the Camp Nou this fall, financial situation will improve. Laporta will also have to address Griezmman, Coutinho and Umtiti problem. He can and will change financial demands of Messi and Demebele since both of them have to sign new contracts. The major problem are Cou, Grizi and Umtiti. They contribute absolutely nothing and are on huge salaries. If he somehow manages to get rid of them next summer Barca financial situation will improve significantly.

He's done it before, getting rid of big names for the sake of the rebuild. I'm mostly thinking about Deco and Ronaldinho in 2008.

So he shouldn't be against sales, especially those that are pure Barto signings.

Home of Barca Fans