Laporta wins Barca elections

Raketa10

He's done it before, getting rid of big names for the sake of the rebuild. I'm mostly thinking about Deco and Ronaldinho in 2008.

So he shouldn't be against sales, especially those that are pure Barto signings.

I agree. In addition to what I wrote above none of those 3 is commercially important. It's not like Griezmann is Neymar so you can earn something extra on him out of the pitch. If Messi agrees to lower his demands, and he probably will, Griezmann could become highest paid player in the squad and that's just absurd. If we manage to reduce the wages of Messi, Demebele and Roberto whose contract are expiring and get rid of the above mentioned trio our financial picture will improve significantly. In addition to that I sincerely hope we will also offload Pjanic. His wages are huge and he is probably the worst midfielder we currently have.

Last edited:

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Difficult choices to be made as a consequence of phenomenally poor ones over last decade which means you require exceptional leadership on top of having the best interests of the club at heart - even during his first tenure, the instruments of his success were in selecting the right people to carry out their roles at the club. Only Laporta ticks those boxes, plus I am finally optimistic Messi can be convinced of renewing as he trusts Joan should his sporting project be compelling

Restructure debt, cut dead weight/salaries, continue to build off La Masia as the bedrock of the club and build the brand back up from how tarnished it has gotten in past decade

7 months ago, Messi gave an interview to leave and we were still at the mercy of a corrupt Bartomeu driving the club off a cliff - I never imagined we'd get here much less this quickly but I am optimistic and that could only be possible at a club owned by it's members. Democracy triumphs, can't celebrate that enough even if tough work lies ahead

First pledge Laporta made in his campaign is to open up membership outside Catalunya to reverse the restrictions Rosell & Bartomeu imposed - could constitute as much as an additional 32M annual revenue stream

malvolio

let's hope laporta lucks it out again in the transfer market and at least 2 of the la masia kids fulfill their potential of becoming world class players.

otherwise i believe the previous administration did well when it comes to revenue. so laporta coming in and opening membership outside catalunya or selling the naming rights to the stadium is not some genius move.

we just need stability and a bit more coherence/planning when it comes to squad management and transfers. otherwise, if we have a very good team, the manager doesn't count that much as geniuses like guardiola don't grow on trees.

Kubala

So happy with this news. Things will be much harder for him this time around but hopefully he can get us back to being 'Mes Que Un Club' :barcascarf:

Zidane82

Any ideas what?s likely to happen transfers wise ??

Debt doesn?t really matter for such a big club , surely?

The US is the richest country in the world but they also have the largest debts ..

Just a thought

Windhook

I'm hopeful he'll do great. Thinking of which - the last two presidents of Barca were prosecuted by the government and they were in one team, Barto being VP of Rosell.:lol:

Meanwhile found this unsourced edit on Sandro Rosell Wikipedia page:
Alexandre "Sandro" Rosell Feliu (Catalan pronunciation: [ˈsandɾu ruˈzeʎ]; born 6 March 1964) is a Spanish businessman. He was the president of FC Barcelona from 2010 to 2014. With an MBA degree from ESADE, Rosell is best known for being the president of FC Barcelona that almost ruined everything Joan Laporta managed to achieve, with whom he run during the 2003 elections as his senior adviser. In 2017, Rosell was jailed without bail as part of a money laundering investigation related to buying television rights for past matches of the Brazilian national team.

:surrender:

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Difficult choices to be made as a consequence of phenomenally poor ones over last decade which means you require exceptional leadership on top of having the best interests of the club at heart - even during his first tenure, the instruments of his success were in selecting the right people to carry out their roles at the club. Only Laporta ticks those boxes, plus I am finally optimistic Messi can be convinced of renewing as he trusts Joan should his sporting project be compelling

Restructure debt, cut dead weight/salaries, continue to build off La Masia as the bedrock of the club and build the brand back up from how tarnished it has gotten in past decade

7 months ago, Messi gave an interview to leave and we were still at the mercy of a corrupt Bartomeu driving the club off a cliff - I never imagined we'd get here much less this quickly but I am optimistic and that could only be possible at a club owned by it's members. Democracy triumphs, can't celebrate that enough even if tough work lies ahead

First pledge Laporta made in his campaign is to open up membership outside Catalunya to reverse the restrictions Rosell & Bartomeu imposed - could constitute as much as an additional 32M annual revenue stream

Source of this estimate? I find it hard to believe. I believe the current membership fee is around 180 euros per year and we have been getting around 30m each year from membership fees from around 140K socis we currently have. Another 32m would mean that we will be doubling the number of socis (32M/180 = 177K). I saw something on Laporta's social program about opening up the membership, I don't know if he is going to remove all current restrictions etc.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Any ideas what?s likely to happen transfers wise ??

Debt doesn?t really matter for such a big club , surely?

The US is the richest country in the world but they also have the largest debts ..

Just a thought

You can't compare us or any club to the US, they can just keep printing money and their treasury notes are seen as the safest investment vehicle by investors around the world, we can't do any of that.

malvolio

I'm hopeful he'll do great. Thinking of which - the last two presidents of Barca were prosecuted by the government and they were in one team, Barto being VP of Rosell.:lol:

Meanwhile found this unsourced edit on Sandro Rosell Wikipedia page:

:surrender:

and yet rosell was laporta's right hand man and had a strong influence in bringing ronaldinho to camp nou. he was also quite savvy when it came to commercial deals. sure, he pinched a couple of millions from that neymar transfer, but otherwise the transfers made during his reign were pretty good:
Neymar
Cesc Fabregas
Alexis Sanchez
Javier Mascherano
Alex Song
Jordi Alba
Adriano

basically he laid the foundation for us to become the biggest club in terms of revenue.

Last edited:

Marshall D Teach

an yet rosell was laporta's right hand man and had a strong influence in bringing in ronaldinho to camp nou. he was also quite savvy when it came to commercial deals. sure, he pinched a couple of millions from that neymar transfer, but otherwise the transfers made during his reign were pretty good:
Neymar
Cesc Fabregas
Alexis Sanchez
Javier Mascherano
Alex Song
Jordi Alba
Adriano

Cesc was a flop, and so was Alexis until his last season. Song was also a retarded transfer.

malvolio

Cesc was a flop, and so was Alexis until his last season. Song was also a retarded transfer.

we made a profit on alexis and we got our money back on cesc. both were not monumental flops as coutinho and griezmann are. and pep pushed for cesc if i remember correctly.

song was the only big hit we took. i would say we did very good overall.

Jakabor

we made a profit on alexis and we got our money back on cesc. both were not monumental flops as coutinho and griezmann are. and pep pushed for cesc if i remember correctly.

song was the only big hit we took. i would say we did very good overall.

Griezmann has not been a monumental flop. Not the right adjective to use. At least not yet. Coutinho yes, as he failed to establish himself on the pitch, was shipped to Bayern and doesn?t seem to be in the plans. That?s a monumental failure given his price at ?140 M (?25 M more than Coutinho).

Based on stats and performance Eden Hazard is a monumental flop.

malvolio

Griezmann has not been a monumental flop. Not the right adjective to use. At least not yet. Coutinho yes, as he failed to establish himself on the pitch, was shipped to Bayern and doesn?t seem to be in the plans. That?s a monumental failure given his price at ?140 M (?25 M more than Coutinho).

Based on stats and performance Eden Hazard is a monumental flop.

i was comparing the fabregas/alexis signings to griezmann/coutinho. the big fee and salary + the current circumstances stopped us from throwing out griezmann. plus we tried to give him another chance with suarez gone.

malvolio

Alexis' and Fabregas' fees were considered very high at the time. The modern equivalent would be around 60-80m.

so? we made our money back with fabregas and a profit with alexis. try doing that with coutinho or griezmann now.

also, even though we spent a fortune on neymar he was a financial jackpot.

Home of Barca Fans