Mateu Alemany

Porque

Have Arnau come out in rumours, so that we're happy and relieved when Jordi Cryuff signs.

4D Chess right there.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Ramos Planes is continuing because his work in scouting is strong and have proven to yield good results.

Jordi Cruyff is getting signed because of his contacts in the football world more than anything else.

messi2140

6racies Xavi
Can I ask what these contacts Jordi has in the football world ? The guy has been in Cyprus , Isreal and China for the last 10 years.

Last edited:

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
https://www.sport.es/en/news/barca/...ona-improve-their-financial-position-11739665

Agree with Alemany that the wage bill for the men's football first team is too much and should be reduced, however he'd better not be touching the other sections like handball, basketball and futsal etc. where we don't have the biggest budgets, where savings would be chunk change at best compared to what we can save from the football's first team.

Anyways, what exactly is Alemany's role? If he is a director for football only, why is he touching other sports/sections? And if he is a director for the football section only, why do we need a specific sporting director? A SD dedicated to the men's 1st team only?

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
https://www.sport.es/en/news/barca/...ona-improve-their-financial-position-11739665

Agree with Alemany that the wage bill for the men's football first team is too much and should be reduced, however he'd better not be touching the other sections like handball, basketball and futsal etc. where we don't have the biggest budgets, where savings would be chunk change at best compared to what we can save from the football's first team.

Anyways, what exactly is Alemany's role? If he is a director for football only, why is he touching other sports/sections? And if he is a director for the football section only, why do we need a specific sporting director? A SD dedicated to the men's 1st team only?

Alemany's role is more on the business side of our football section pretty much like Van der Saar at Ajax while Overmars is the man who does all the transfers and build that team. A bit surprised he'd comment on the other sections assuming this is true.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Alemany's role is more on the business side of our football section pretty much like Van der Saar at Ajax while Overmars is the man who does all the transfers and build that team. A bit surprised he'd comment on the other sections assuming this is true.

Yeah. Also if he actually did that (proposing changes to other sections), he sort of overstepped the boundaries since the other sections have their own directors and managers.

Messi983

Agreed. But while I think what he commented on might not exactly be his job is what Laporta's board will try to do in other sections anyway.

FCB Handbol have already lost Aron Palmarsson after not agreeing a new contract with him. But losing a key player of the team might be more an exception to the rule here. At least I hope we won't need to ruin other sections who are all doing well too much. But there will surely be some changes there.

I've read rumours some time ago that Asisat Oshoala might leave FCB femeni and I assume he could be replaced by a young Bruna Vilamala who is starting league games regularly lately and has scored something like 9 goals in last 6 games. Don't know any contract details but it's safe to assume she's on lower wages than Oshoala.

And then in FCB Basquet players like Westermann and Pustovyi who are mostly our 13th/14th players should also leave and be replaced by younger and cheaper, possibly homegrown players. These moves shouldn't affect overall quality of the team too much. We could also lose Bolmaro who will probably leave for NBA if they'll pay his release clause which is close to 1m IIRC. And there were rumours we'll bring a Lithuanian wonderkid Rokas Jokubaitis from Zalgiris to replace him (Jasikevicius obviously knows this kid well) for a fraction of that cost (I think his clause is around 200k). So while not exactly a cost saving move the club could again benefit financially from this and probably not being much worse from a sporting perspective either eventhough Bolmaro has improved a lot and starting to play really well at the end of this season. But Barca can't keep him anyway if he has decided to go to NBA and his club will pay a clause.

Don't know much about futsal or roller hockey teams to know what plans we have there and obviously there won't be big savings in grand scheme but I think overall plan in non-football sections will be to try and keep key players but replacing fringe/squad players with cheaper options.

Other cost saving moves could be made in coaching/management of non-football sections. It was already reported a few weeks ago that Xavi Pascual will leave the bench of FCB Handbol after more than a decade. And today RAC1 is reporting David Barrufet (GM of handball section) will also leave the club after 37 years. I don't know who will replace them but I hope money wasn't the most deciding factor in those decisions and we'll replace them with someone cheaper but worse. As I've said before in the FCB handol thread I don't mind Pascual leaving (mostly because his teams have usually bottled CL final fours; let's hope he can leave by winning CL this year though) but Barrufet has done a great job building this team and bringing some great youngsters to the club in recent years so hopefully Laporta will find someone who can do at least as good if not better job while not being paid as much.

Last edited:

serghei

Agreed. But while I think what he commented on might not exactly be his job is what Laporta's board will try to do in other sections anyway.

FCB Handbol have already lost Aron Palmarsson after not agreeing a new contract with him. But losing a key player of the team might be more an exception to the rule here. At least I hope we won't need to ruin other sections who are all doing well too much. But there will surely be some changes there.

I've read rumours some time ago that Asisat Oshoala might leave FCB femeni and I assume he could be replaced by a young Bruna Vilamala who is starting league games regularly lately and has scored something like 9 goals in last 6 games. Don't know any contract details but it's safe to assume she's on lower wages than Oshoala.

And then in FCB Basquet players like Westermann and Pustovyi who are mostly our 13th/14th players should also leave and be replaced by younger and cheaper, possibly homegrown players. These moves shouldn't affect overall quality of the team too much. We could also lose Bolmaro who will probably leave for NBA if they'll pay his release clause which is close to 1m IIRC. And there were rumours we'll bring a Lithuanian wonderkid Rokas Jokubaitis from Zalgiris to replace him (Jasikevicius obviously knows this kid well) for a fraction of that cost (I think his clause is around 200k). So while not exactly a cost saving move the club could again benefit financially from this and probably not being much worse from a sporting perspective either eventhough Bolmaro has improved a lot and starting to play really well at the end of this season. But Barca can't keep him anyway if he has decided to go to NBA and his club will pay a clause.

Don't know much about futsal or roller hockey teams to know what plans we have there and obviously there won't be big savings in grand scheme but I think overall plan in non-football sections will be to try and keep key players but replacing fringe/squad players with cheaper options.

Other cost saving moves could be made in coaching/management of non-football sections. It was already reported a few weeks ago that Xavi Pascual will leave the bench of FCB Handbol after more than a decade. And today RAC1 is reporting David Barrufet (GM of handball section) will also leave the club after 37 years. I don't know who will replace them but I hope money wasn't the most deciding factor in those decisions and we'll replace them with someone cheaper but worse. As I've said before in the FCB handol thread I don't mind Pascual leaving (mostly because his teams have usually bottled CL final fours; let's hope he can leave by winning CL this year though) but Barrufet has done a great job building this team and bringing some great youngsters to the club in recent years so hopefully Laporta will find someone who can do at least as good if not better job while not being paid as much.

Pretty much agree with this. Imo, the handball club is not an example of great management in these last years. So, Laporta is not exactly replacing very high-performance managers here. Not for CL standard, where, as you say, the team has underperformed compared with the expectations.

Barca in CL in handball are a bit like PSG in football. Stacked team filled with superstars like Mem, Palmarsson, Fabregas, some of the best players in the world, and still no CL since the last season of Karabatic back in 2015. That's bad.

Messi983

Pretty much agree with this. Imo, the handball club is not an example of great management in these last years. So, Laporta is not exactly replacing very high-performance managers here. Not for CL standard, where, as you say, the team has underperformed compared with the expectations.

Barca in CL in handball are a bit like PSG in football. Stacked team filled with superstars like Mem, Palmarsson, Fabregas, some of the best players in the world, and still no CL since the last season of Karabatic back in 2015. That's bad.

GM/SD has to build a team and coach's job is to win. I think Barrufet did his job better than Pascual and would deserve to stay but clearly Laporta has different plans. As [MENTION=13941]Luftstalag14[/MENTION] mentioned in the FCB Handbol thread Xavi O'Callaghan (former member of handball dream team) will take over as a GM for handball section but also overlook our roller hockey and futsal teams. Don't know how this will work but it's probably really cost saving.

Home of Barca Fans