Pep's Barca 10/11 v Liverpool 18/19 or Bayern 19/20

Who wins?

• Total voters

Andresito

Staff member
I'd rate Bayern 20 and Liverpool 19 the same and in a H2H I think Liverpool would win narrowly. They were easily the best teams their respective years, but nothing out of the ordinary to be warranted a comparison to legendary teams.

fergus90

18/19 Liverpool just about made it out the group stage, lost all their away games. Turned it on when it mattered though I guess. Bayern 19/20 ripped teams apart in the CL and won every game.

BarcaOG

Banned
We almost beat Liverpool 18/19 with an aging squad, so they are bottom of the list for me. Barca 10/11 is still something else, and to me can only be contended by the Heynckes 12/13 Bayern which was an absolute machine. They humiliated a strong Barca that won the league with something like 100 points.

This is pretty damning.

Bayern I am a bit less sure of, though considering PSG (whom I don't really rate) held them pretty closely in the final, I'd put Barca 2011 in front.

Thing is, as Barca fans we are obviously biased. I am sure that if we ran this same poll at a Bayern forum it would look different.

Fati_Future_BallonDor

Which is more impressive. Bayern's second treble or Barcelona's second treble.

Barca 14/15 was on another level, i dont think Bayern 19/20 would have a chance against us. MSN from 14/15 and GOAT midfield of 10/11 would have been the ultimate offense power. Teams would be happy if they only lose 0-5 to us.

Bobo32

It would be fun games against Liverpool - a team just as fanatically built on being good at pressing as Barcelona was fanatically press resistant. It is a more interesting dichotomy than the offensive/defensive that all Barcelona games back then turned into.

I don't see a large change in Peps City compared to his Barcelona. It's the same angles, patience, countermovements. The players are setup differently, just as they were from game to game in Barcelona, but mostly he dominates the game by dominating the ball in 2021 just as in 2011. The fundamentals are pretty much the same. Some games he has been caught out, but usually he is able to play out of defence and dominate just as before, with a squad that is much worse than Barcelona 2011 for that kind of play.

serghei

Barca 14/15 was on another level, i dont think Bayern 19/20 would have a chance against us. MSN from 14/15 and GOAT midfield of 10/11 would have been the ultimate offense power. Teams would be happy if they only lose 0-5 to us.

I rate Bayern 2019/20 probably lower than most here. Top team from midfield up, but their weaknesses in defense were so bad that even fecking Lyon could've easily scored 3 goals in the first half alone. But they had Memphis and Ekambi.

Against peak Messi, Neymar and Suarez, you are dead if you give them so many spaces. Going end to end as Bayern did against a team having such a monstrous attack is not a good tactic. When Bayern were forced to approach the game more conservatively (see CL final), then didn't look that great. Bayern look menacing against slow teams or teams with weak firepower. So they can just neglect defense, put many men forward, and score many goals without having to worry too much about the goals they might concede. EV-Setien Barca was tailor made for them. :lol: Slow team, crap on the break due to poor movement, terrible in defense.

They were scared by PSG's attack, which is at least a level under peak MSN. Going by the CL final when PSG had them on the ropes and the bigger chances arguably, MSN Barca beat them most of the time. MSN Barca is basically similar to PSG except they were a level higher. Bayern wouldn't dare go out and attack that team because MSN would pick them up on the break with ease.

That's the power of MSN Barca. You can't really attack them too much because on the break, MSN could destroy any team. So the weaknesses of that Lucho Barca in defense and midfield were very well protected by the threat we carried in our attack.

Think about Atletico - Barca 2-3 in the Copa. Atletico just pressured and attacked that first half, and, sure, they exposed the pretty fragile nature of our defense. But, at the same time, Barca just electrocuted them 3 times on the break and tie over. MSN were just tremendous on the break that year and every team knew it. The midfield was good, but unspectacular, and the defense was decent, but not special either.

Actually, MSN Barca is pretty similar to 2020 Bayern, except with a more skilled attack, and slightly better defense. With all due respect, but Perisic, Lewandowski and Gnabry don't have anything over Messi, Neymar, Suarez. Those were 3 of the 4 best players at the time in the world.

Last edited:

Fati_Future_BallonDor

I rate Bayern 2019/20 probably lower than most here. Top team from midfield up, but their weaknesses in defense were so bad that even fecking Lyon could've easily scored 3 goals in the first half alone. But they had Memphis and Ekambi.

Against peak Messi, Neymar and Suarez, you are dead if you give them so many spaces.

Right, Lyon and also PSG in final had several good opportunities to score 2-3 goals but both teams missed. Especially in final it would have been an another story if Mbappe would have had a day like against us.

serghei

Right, Lyon and also PSG in final had several good opportunities to score 2-3 goals but both teams missed. Especially in final it would have been an another story if Mbappe would have had a day like against us.

Yea, truth be told, Bayern would not play against MSN Barca anywhere near how they played against Setien Barca or Lyon. They just showed no respect for that Barca, nor Lyon and just steamrolled them. Lyon were pretty fast, but lacked quality, they finished 5th I think in France that year. Barca had quality, but were so slow and weak on the counters, that they just played right in Bayern's hands.

So, Bayern would approach MSN Barca like they did PSG. And when they do that, they just drop a lot of their attacking threat. Now you take the big chances PSG missed, and you imagine MSN doing the attacking.

Imo, the match looks similar to Barca - Juve from Berlin. Close match, with chances both ways, but the front 3 win it.

serghei

In general, there is a pattern about Barca in CL in recent history (last 15 years). We lack consistency in this competition, but when we get it going, they are the most frightening teams to play against. 2009 Barca, 2011 Barca, and 2015 Barca are monster sides that would probably beat any other winner.

On the flip side, the other big teams don't suffer that many humiliating losses as Barca did in the last decade. It's quite odd. Barca has the highest highs, and lowest lows, while the other teams keep more consistency, both in their wins, and losses.

Last edited:

KingLeo10

Barca's easily. No team today would have made the CL semis that year.

^^ This. 14/15 was easily the most stacked CL semi-finals in some years.

Best Juve team of the last 15 years with a midfield of Pirlo - Marchisio - Vidal - Pogba

2014 CL winning RM

Peak MSN Barcelona

Pep's Bayern (imo their second best version after 15/16).

Home of Barca Fans