Pep's Barca 10/11 v Liverpool 18/19 or Bayern 19/20

Who wins?

• Total voters

KingLeo10

Actually the one with narrow world view will be you, who see things out of historical context and emotionally colored.
And all the purists above who think Pep's Barca will piss off any team today.
Pep's Barca was great only within historical context.
Pep himself has changed a lot to address the change in the sport itself.
If you think that any team is invincible if traveled in time to the future, then you haven't understood the sport.

And frankly it's disrespectful to Pep and to that great team to think of them in this distorted idolized and idealized way.

And LOL, no pep's barca could not handle any of the current teams you mention.
Again, like I said above, look at Sevilla players reactions to the pressing: they did not know what to do, and they were losing possession in an erratic panic.
Nothing to do with how teams today are prepared to face pressing

Inspired by the above and the frankly idiotic statement that the 2010/2011 team with its tactics/players/press could not handle Bayern or Liverpool of the last 2 years. I don't even know where to begin so I'm putting this front and center for the forum to chime in on.

Last edited:

Richard.H

We almost beat Liverpool 18/19 with an aging squad, so they are bottom of the list for me. Barca 10/11 is still something else, and to me can only be contended by the Heynckes 12/13 Bayern which was an absolute machine. They humiliated a strong Barca that won the league with something like 100 points.

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
Bit redundant to make this poll on a Barca forum, you know... I guess this is just a thread to clown on the latest of Birdy's weird takes :lol:

KingLeo10

Bit redundant to make this poll on a Barca forum, you know... I guess this is just a thread to clown on the latest of Birdy's weird takes :lol:

It's to see how many Barca forum dwellers share his opinion...which is one of the more puzzling ones he's come up with.

Laplacian

The midfield alone completely outshines Bayern's and Liverpool's. Lionel "let me just dribble past 5 players and score a goal" Messi is the icing on the cake.

Fati_Future_BallonDor

LOL alone prime Messi, Xavi, Iniesta could destroy every team. 10/11 is unreachable, that was perfection. Even Bayern 12/13 and Real 16/17 would have massive problems against them.

Very underrated player is David Villa who was sensational that season, he had a short prime but during this time he was pure class.

Marshall D Teach

My tier list for top sides of the 2010s:

Tier 0:
Barca 10/11

Tier 1:
Barca 14/15
Bayern 12/13

Tier 2:
Liverpool 18/19
Real Madrid 16/17

To me Bayern 19/20 doesn't register near those. I'd say they're easily below a team like Klopp's Dortmund or 2014 Atletico or 2015 Juventus, let alone the above teams. The current level of the game is pitiful.

Last edited:

Fati_Future_BallonDor

My tier list for top sides of the 2010s:

Tier 0:
Barca 10/11

Tier 1:
Barca 14/15
Bayern 12/13

Tier 2:
Liverpool 18/19
Real Madrid 16/17

To me Bayern 19/20 doesn't register near those. The current level of the game is pitiful.

I wouldnt rate Liverpool so high, they couldnt even win against City the PL.

I would say:

tier 0: Barca 10/11

tier 1: Barca 14/15 , Bayern 12/13, maybe even Real 16/17 ( they were sensational in the knockout rounds)

tier 2: Juve 14/15, bayern 19/20

Joan

What's this about? :lol: We're not even talking about historic teams, like, say, Pele's Brazil. Half of the players who were part of that team are still active. Not to say it's a team filled with world class, all time greats in lots of positions.

It's an odd take. Even for Birdy.

Birdy

The tier thing people are doing is not the question i originally posed.
There are two different questions:
1)which one 'you think is the best', people seem to answer this so far.
I would vote for Barca 10/11 as well if that's the question.

2) which one wins against the other if played NOW (in 2019 for Liverpool, in 2020 for Bayern).
In other words, if you teleport Barca 10/11 as they played back then, and let them face Liverpool in 19 or Bayern in 20.

Any impartial observer of the sport IMO should see that Bayern '20 and Liverpool '19 win against Barca '11.

Vilarrubi

The tier thing people are doing is not the question i originally posed.
There are two different questions:
1)which one 'you think is the best', people seem to answer this so far.
I would vote for Barca 10/11 as well if that's the question.

2) which one wins against the other if played NOW (in 2019 for Liverpool, in 2020 for Bayern).
In other words, if you teleport Barca 10/11 as they played back then, and let them face Liverpool in 19 or Bayern in 20.

Any impartial observer of the sport IMO should see that Bayern '20 and Liverpool '19 win against Barca '11.

Forgetting physicality and pressing for a minute. Who did Bayern face who was technically anywhere near Barca 10/11?

A bang average Chelsea size, worst Barca team in over a decade, Lyon (LOL) and a slightly above average PSG side who had an easy run to final and didn’t look convincing in some of the games......

2010/11 Barca is the best team I’ve ever seen technically, speed of thought was ridiculous. Not saying Bayern 19/20 would get battered by them, but were talking about prime Xavi, Iniesta and Busi... that’s without adding the best version of Messi to the mix. Obviously times have changed, better physicality, pressing etc but it’s only 10 years later and like someone else mentioned we were putting up high Km running numbers similar to now.

The modern press would get nowhere near that midfield, they think too quickly. Remember the ball travels faster than players running. Would be running round like headless chickens most of game and Barca would pick them off.

Home of Barca Fans