Pep's Barca 10/11 v Liverpool 18/19 or Bayern 19/20

Who wins?

• Total voters

Birdy

I don't see a large change in Peps City compared to his Barcelona. It's the same angles, patience, countermovements. The players are setup differently, just as they were from game to game in Barcelona, but mostly he dominates the game by dominating the ball in 2021 just as in 2011. The fundamentals are pretty much the same. Some games he has been caught out, but usually he is able to play out of defence and dominate just as before, with a squad that is much worse than Barcelona 2011 for that kind of play.

That's right about principles and fundamentals. Pep never changed principles, and never will I suppose.
But the application of the principles is a different story and is dependent on many parameters from player quality to pace of game opposition and others.
City has to work much harder on the pitch to circulate the ball for that amount of time compared to Barca in 2011.
Then there are very different patterns of penetration in City that you would never see at Barca.

serghei

Of course you have to work harder when you have Gundogan instead of Xavi and Rodri instead of Busi. The passes doesn't flow as smoothly. 2011 Barca worked hard, but they seemed to make it easy because of the extraordinary quality they had on the ball.

Marshall D Teach

2020 Bayern is closer to 2012 Chelsea than to 2011 Barca.

I legitimately think 2012 Chelsea could win a CL semi-convincingly right now. That's the gap between the level of the game then and now.

Last edited:

Birdy

Of course you have to work harder when you have Gundogan instead of Xavi and Rodri instead of Busi. The passes doesn't flow as smoothly. 2011 Barca worked hard, but they seemed to make it easy because of the extraordinary quality they had on the ball.

That's only part of the story. The other part is that Xavi and Busi could not close down opponents as Gundogan and Rodri do now, and City does much more off the ball compared to Barca back then

KingLeo10

That's only part of the story. The other part is that Xavi and Busi could not close down opponents as Gundogan and Rodri do now, and City does much more off the ball compared to Barca back then

I see you're contending for the worst poster on Barcaforum award.

Neither Gundogan nor Rodri run as much as Xavi in his prime did. Just stop.

Birdy

Yes, because people are voting for 'which side is the best', to which I would also vote Barca '10-11

but nevermind

Fati_Future_BallonDor

^^ This. 14/15 was easily the most stacked CL semi-finals in some years.

Best Juve team of the last 15 years with a midfield of Pirlo - Marchisio - Vidal - Pogba

2014 CL winning RM

Peak MSN Barcelona

Pep's Bayern (imo their second best version after 15/16).

That midfield would have eaten us but thank god we had MSN.

KingLeo10

[MENTION=23863]Tackle[/MENTION] coming in here trying to prop up Liverpool 18/19 so his beloved EV looks decent.

Scenes.

Kul_z

The tier thing people are doing is not the question i originally posed.
There are two different questions:
1)which one 'you think is the best', people seem to answer this so far.
I would vote for Barca 10/11 as well if that's the question.

2) which one wins against the other if played NOW (in 2019 for Liverpool, in 2020 for Bayern).
In other words, if you teleport Barca 10/11 as they played back then, and let them face Liverpool in 19 or Bayern in 20.

Any impartial observer of the sport IMO should see that Bayern '20 and Liverpool '19 win against Barca '11.

Lmao. That barca team pressed like madmans, they were the pioneers of this era. Add prime xavi, iniesta, busi, dani alves in to mix with rock solid defence. Lmao. Bayern/liverpool would be nowhere near the ball. Messi with insane pace..
Like richard said, we almost k.o. best liverpool side with that version of rakitic, vidal, busi, suarez, and with lenglet at cb.
LMAO

Bobo32

Yes, because people are voting for 'which side is the best', to which I would also vote Barca '10-11

but nevermind

I think you are right that many misunderstood the question.
I didn't, but I still don't agree. I do think it's closer than the poll would have you believe though.

Home of Barca Fans